Best Social networking App with real time GPS?

itsabouttime

Silver
Feb 18, 2007
San Antonio, Tx.
Whatever happened to that new Google GPS tracking app that was announced a few months ago? I think it emphasized GPS tracking of your friends more than it did Its Social networking features. If I remember correctly they also announced a desktop version at the same time.
Does anyone remember this? If not, are there any apps that allow you to see your friends location in real time, even as they're driving?
I'm familiar with Loopt but not too impressed with it.

Toranz82

Bronze
Jun 7, 2007
Florida
yes I think your talking about Google Latitude. They gave a little demo of it at a conference before 3.0 was released. They said that they would be releasing Latitude for 3.0 but I haven't heard any update since. But the demo I saw of it showed that it would be a web app. I'm not sure of the reasons google decided to go with a webapp instead but it looks great because it uses HTML 5. I'll try and find a link to the video I saw.

Toranz82

Bronze
Jun 7, 2007
Florida
:D found the link!

http://www.iphonealley.com/news/safari-to-support-geolocation-video-of-google-latitude-using-feature

Now the only thing I'm mad about is that all my cousins who use Latitude on their blackberrys, because on a blackberry apps are able to run in the background their location is updated constantly. But with the iPhone because apps cannot run in the background it will not keep my location up-to-date.

One question I have though is the reason Google releasing Latitude as a webapp because maybe with safari it will constantly have access to the gps (with your permission of course)? Could this be possible?

sell_guy

Jun 23, 2008
Columbus, OH
This works now...

type in google.com/latitude in your iPhone browser and its working. They haven't released a standalone app yet, but this still works great!

sell_guy

Jun 23, 2008
Columbus, OH
Its not working for my buddy who is sitting right here in my office with me either. The only thing I can think of if is I got my google voice account activated this week and maybe that activated this as well. Sorry guys...its says on the google question section that its live too, so it doesn't make sense to me why its not working for everyone. (unless your not running 3.0 for some reason...then it definitely will not work)

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Google+Mobile/thread?tid=610b6bd41738b345&hl=en

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Its not working for my buddy who is sitting right here in my office with me either. The only thing I can think of if is I got my google voice account activated this week and maybe that activated this as well. Sorry guys...its says on the google question section that its live too, so it doesn't make sense to me why its not working for everyone. (unless your not running 3.0 for some reason...then it definitely will not work)

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Google+Mobile/thread?tid=610b6bd41738b345&hl=en
are you currently on wifi or 3G/Edge?