Best way to prolong battery life ?

reginaalear

Bronze
Jun 21, 2010
Western Kentucky
I loved my blackberry and said I would never use anything else. That was until I got the iPhone. :D I've been wondering about the auto brightness. I have always kept it turned off, but I mostly use my phone indoors so I think I'll turn it on. Thanks @Dave for the suggestion.

capri

Bronze
Jan 1, 2012
regina, do you feel the iPhone betters the bb for emails ? do you have your emails pushed to your iPhone just like the bb ?

reginaalear

Bronze
Jun 21, 2010
Western Kentucky
I do actually prefer the email on the iPhone more than the Blackberry. Yes I have them pushed to my phone and it doesn't really seem to affect the battery much at all. I love the iPhone more than I did my Blackberry. I held onto it for over 2 years thinking there was nothing better. Since I got the iPhone though I've never looked back. :D

capri

Bronze
Jan 1, 2012
Would be curious how do you push emails to the iPhone ?
In what way is the email of the iPhone better than the bb ?
i guess my bb days will be over soon. Ive been using them for the last 5 years and really liked it.
Only thing i don't like is the call feature of the bb. The reception of the calls is not very good compared to my regular
Nokia phone.
Looking forward to my iPhone soon.
I got the unlimited data plan.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Capri, as far as push for the email, it depends on what service you use. If it's for work, then I am sure that they can help set you up.
If it's for personal, then it depends on how much you need push email. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I configured my gmail account as IMAP (because it gives me my existing folders) and I use an app called Push for GMail to use notifications to inform me of new email. Using notifications is just as fast as push, but it comes down from the server instead of the phone constantly checking for new mail. This saves a lot of battery.
There are other apps for other mail accounts. Now would be a good time to search and see what is available to you.

btw, this is what I use: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/push-for-gmail/id343029704?mt=8

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I've found that any push email that requires Exchange will take a noticeable hit on the iPhone's battery. Yahoo's mail (which pushes automatically using the Yahoo template in the mail app) doesn't seem to be as detrimental.

I use Gmail and instead of setting it up for Exchange push, I use an app to alert me. The app is faster than the Exchange push is, I get a preview in my alert if I choose, and I'm only actually checking my mail when an important message comes through, saving lots of battery.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I've found that any push email that requires Exchange will take a noticeable hit on the iPhone's battery. Yahoo's mail (which pushes automatically using the Yahoo template in the mail app) doesn't seem to be as detrimental.

I use Gmail and instead of setting it up for Exchange push, I use an app to alert me. The app is faster than the Exchange push is, I get a preview in my alert if I choose, and I'm only actually checking my mail when an important message comes through, saving lots of battery.
Exactly why I use Push for Gmail. Plus the app can be setup for "quiet times" so I don't get notified of an email at 3AM.

capri

Bronze
Jan 1, 2012
i will purchase PUSH for Gmail when the time i get my iPhone.
Any other utilities you would consider worth buying for the iPhone ?
Thanks!

ConnieL4193

Jan 5, 2012
I'll be getting my new I phone 4s in a few weeks time. From what I read this thing if you are lucky can get one day of usage. I'm used to my Nokia and blackberry with 3 days in between charges.
Then someone pointed out tips to enhance battery life.
Someone care share what to do to prolong the battery life ? Something to do with antennae, turning off stuff, etc.
Thanks again in advance.
Love the fast responses been getting in this forum.
First, forget about the battery life on those other phones. You will NOT see that on the iPhone or any other touch screen smartphone. One day is about the best you can hope for unless you just don't do anything on it. Some people will do some or all of the tips mentioned here but one thing I refuse to do is compromise my needs for battery life. Fortunately I can charge my phone during the day. I just fail to see why I would give up all the things a smartphone does just so the battery lasts longer. Isn't that the whole point of having a smartphone? By all means turn off what you don't need but don't settle for less. A lot of people I know end up throwing their phone on the charger a little during the day. I do wish someone could tell me though why no one has managed to come up with a battery that can handle all of these things. Just wondering.....

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
First, forget about the battery life on those other phones. You will NOT see that on the iPhone or any other touch screen smartphone. One day is about the best you can hope for unless you just don't do anything on it. Some people will do some or all of the tips mentioned here but one thing I refuse to do is compromise my needs for battery life. Fortunately I can charge my phone during the day. I just fail to see why I would give up all the things a smartphone does just so the battery lasts longer. Isn't that the whole point of having a smartphone? By all means turn off what you don't need but don't settle for less. A lot of people I know end up throwing their phone on the charger a little during the day. I do wish someone could tell me though why no one has managed to come up with a battery that can handle all of these things. Just wondering.....
My thoughts exactly. I leave everything I need on at all times and don't obsess about the battery life. I just top it off thoughout the day and carry an external charger if I think I'll need one.

The answer to your question is size. A battery that could handle all of that and power the device for days would increase the size of the smartphone quite a bit.

LABDAN

Jan 5, 2012
my Samsung touch was great on battery, and think i will replace the iPhone with another

LABDAN

Jan 5, 2012
I'll be getting my new I phone 4s in a few weeks time. From what I read this thing if you are lucky can get one day of usage. I'm used to my Nokia and blackberry with 3 days in between charges.
Then someone pointed out tips to enhance battery life.
Someone care share what to do to prolong the battery life ? Something to do with antennae, turning off stuff, etc.
Thanks again in advance.
Love the fast responses been getting in this forum.
don't do it!

bams50

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 23, 2007
My thoughts exactly. I leave everything I need on at all times and don't obsess about the battery life. I just top it off thoughout the day and carry an external charger if I think I'll need one.

The answer to your question is size. A battery that could handle all of that and power the device for days would increase the size of the smartphone quite a bit.
Exactly my point in post #13. I'd 'like' your post but since I already had Lucky 13, I didn't want to give you like #666:eek::D

LABDAN

Jan 5, 2012
Fu
im trying to recharge a new iPhone battery i just installed from digiexpress, wish me luck...
lly recharged new battery i installed from digiexpress, and its worse than before, it dies after 1-2 minutes but also does it on the charger now...

AntonyLe55

Jan 3, 2012
Hmm, I am surprised to see that there are so many tips and tricks. I will have to start trying these. I hope I can charge after 2 days! That would be amazing. Thanks for the tips everyone.

Camitampa

Bronze
Apr 1, 2009
Tampa Fl
I still refuse to conserve battery by turning off the very features I bought my iPhone for. I can't imagine not having my phone seamlessly switch to wifi as I walk through my front door. Or not have google maps know my location when I search for the closest Starbucks. I have never ran dry, but just in case I bought Mophie Juice Pack Plus.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using iCafe app