Best way to prolong battery life ?

Adriano73

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 17, 2012
UK
My thoughts (and experience) exactly. It's just part of my routine to plug it in every night. Why does it seem some people are resistant to that? You gotta sleep sometime...

I leave everything on, use it when I want/for what I want, and just plug in every night. If I forget or use excessively, that's what the car charger is for. Seems simple to me.
Yeah, me too, I have the dock by my bed, iPhone goes in every night which is convenient as its also my alarm clock. We're at a stage now where any decent smartphone is gonna need charging every night. Unless you turn absolutely EVERYTHING off, but then what's the point of having the smartphone?

Sent from my White 64gb iPhone 4s in a white Lifeproof Case using iCafe app

capri

Bronze
Jan 1, 2012
Its been about 3 weeks since i got my iPhone4s. Loving it!
Battery life is about a day tops.
i charge it about everynight in 95% of the time. There are days that i charge 2x especially with lots of phone calls, SMS.
Overall a great phone.
I definitely like it better than my previous Nokia and Blackberry phones.
I ordered the New Trent External Battery Charger & hope this will give me the extra juice when on the road & battery is low.
Also have the Boost Case extended battery back on order.

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I've tried all these tips and tricks, and still feel my battery sucks. Apple has even replaced my battery with the same results, so obviously this is the OS chewing through it rapidly. Has anyone been running iOS 5.1 and noticed any improvements?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I skipped over 5.0 so I couldn't tell you for sure, but 5.1 was supposed to address battery issues. Any particular reason you're avoiding it?

Adriano73

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 17, 2012
UK
As for auto-brightness, I don't know how people use it. When it's turned on the screen dims so much at times I can barely read it!

Sent from my Jailbroken White 64gb iPhone 4s using iCafe app

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
As for auto-brightness, I don't know how people use it. When it's turned on the screen dims so much at times I can barely read it!
I'm actually the opposite. I love it. Hate being in dark room and my phone blinding me. I wish it worked on the lock screen as well.

TH55

Bronze
Oct 30, 2011
I'm actually the opposite. I love it. Hate being in dark room and my phone blinding me. I wish it worked on the lock screen as well.
That's the problem it's only good in the dark. It frequently doesn't get bright enough for daylight

M

msAdele

Both Europa and I have done articles about battery life and getting the most out of it here on EIC.
Off the top of my head, here's a quick list of things to think about
1) Brightness - keep it as low as you can, and use auto brightness option
2) Push - don't use it if you get a lot of email. Get a 3rd party app that uses notifications instead. Push talks too much and will impact battery life
3) Wifi- Use it when available, turn off auto notify of available networks.
4) Location Services. This one is more a preference thing, but I only allow location services to access apps that are specifically location based. No games, camera, or anything else.
5) This one is about general care. top off your battery when charging opportunities are available. Drain the phone every once in a while to reset the battery meter, and reboot the phone every 3-7 days. Make sure that you close webpages that auto-refresh and any apps that can actually run in the background like Pandora. This will make sure that you are not letting anything "slip by" using the charge when you didn't intend for it.

There are a lot of people on here that will argue some of my suggestions, but I average about 6-8 hours of usage a day, and when I connect to my charger at night, I'm usually between 30-40%. I use my phone a lot, and during the day, wifi is not available. I have everything on, and brightness is at about 1/3 of the slider.
This is a very wonderful tip. However, if I may ask, do you have any insight concerning the relation of iPhone applications and the battery life? Thank you in advance.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Each application is going to be different, but things to think about are:
1) graphics - Games (especially high-end games like Infinity Blade) tend to use quite a bit of processing power and RAM. 15 minutes of gaming can make a dramatic drop in your battery.
2) Anything that requires a connection. If the app needs to talk to a server or use gps, then it's going to drain a little more than an "offline" app in most cases.
3) Actually, I cannot think of a third thing. Most of the battery hogs fall into the 2 categories above.

Reactions: iNurse

Adriano73

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 17, 2012
UK
In your opinion.
I love the feature.
I thought I'd have another look at it and turned it on. Was standing by window and sun came through a break in the clouds, brightness increased and I could still see screen. I may be converted.

Sent from my Jailbroken White 64gb iPhone 4s using iCafe app

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
I thought I'd have another look at it and turned it on. Was standing by window and sun came through a break in the clouds, brightness increased and I could still see screen. I may be converted.
Every person is different. I personally haven't ever had a problem with it.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
7 hour road trip, the 4 started fully charged and arrived at 20%, wow. Didn't expect that since the other devices were doing all the work. I'm absolutely sure results would have been much better prior to iOS 5.x.

Sent from Tapatalk

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
If your iPhone 4 was active the whole 7 hours, I would say that was pretty good battery life. Especially if you were using GPS with music.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
If your iPhone 4 was active the whole 7 hours, I would say that was pretty good battery life. Especially if you were using GPS with music.
Kids played a game on it for 15mins during lunch plus I forgot to shut wifi, that's it. GPS was from my phone and music from both my phone and some kids tunes and audio books on the iPod.

Sent from Tapatalk