Better than any other phone?

DiscoJoey

Bronze
Jun 5, 2007
While I cannot wait for the iPhone to come out, I've been looking around at some of the new mobiles just released. Some of them look fantastic and have basically everything the iPhone has got in terms of features ie. mp3 player, proper internet, video playback.
Is the iPhone really going to be better than these new phones made by companies that's been doing this for years.
Don't get me wrong I aint buying any of them, I cannot wait to get my iPhone(for christmas i hope) but I hope it's worth the wait.
mac os on a phone, end of store.

cooper

Jun 6, 2007
Not better than Nokia N95 ...NO! N95 has better video cam w/ 5.0MP and GPS
The notion that megapixels = quality is a common misconception. You can cram all kinds of megapixels onto a tiny sensor, behind a tiny lens, but the reality that any photographer will tell you is that quality lies in a larger lens and a larger exposure surface. A 20 megapixel camera phone is still going to be garbage compared to any real camera with a decent sized lens. Also camera phones tend to have bare lenses made of cheap materials that get scratched easily.

cooper

Jun 6, 2007
Seems clear that if you're buying an iPhone, you're paying for what you always pay for from Apple. A coherent, fast, intuitive user interface designed by arguably the best user interface designers in the world. You can boil things down to their parts, hardware statistics, and features, but at the end of the day, a product doesn't do you much good if you can't use it as effectively. There's no benchmark that quantifies the superiority of Apple's UI.

Marksman

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
The advantage Apple has is they have a proven track record on making user interfaces. The Macintosh, the iPod.

What does every single cellphone/smartphone ever made to this point have in common? The interface on EVERY one of them is horrible.

This is where the iPhone will potentially change things dramatically. Even if you never buy one, you will be able to point to the iPhone as the impetus for some pretty broad changes in the cell phone market, which will be much better for the consumers.