Biggest disappointment about the iPhone 5?

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
Yes, I was hoping for something bigger and better. I'll certainly get the 5, but it looks like Apple has to put out something jaw dropping next year to keep putting out "revolutionary" devices. These small increment upgrades are getting old...

Reactions: Kgd0630

supersonicbaron

Bronze
Oct 26, 2010
I have a 4,I'm really disappointed with the 5's design well more especially the back cover. I don't see the attraction there..but being a fanboy I definitely won't let it pass,I'll be be getting the 5

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011
well we all knew that the new iPhone was going to get a bigger screen. but my question is whatever happened to the perfect 3.5 screen that Apple said would never change and had all kinds of diagrams and videos showing how you can reach from one end of the phone to the other. and every fanboy bought into that theory. looks like Apple through that right out the window. so much for all thoes diagrams and data. guess we will see a new set of diagrams and videos showing how perfect this size screen is. whatever happened to the inoovative Apple co. i knew? guess there too busy making money and sueing orthers that they no longer have time to innovate. how sad. everything that the new iPhone has. has already been done. 4glte done, bigger screen done, turn by turn done, etc...

Booyow1204

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2010
Las Vegas
No disappointment on my end. Then again I'm waiting to replace my 3GS so anything new will impress me.

In terms of the size. Not sure I get the disappointment there. A phone is a phone and will have the same shape no matter what (rectangle, more stretched or maybe more wider). Our hands won't really make good use out of many shapes other than this one Apple is adamant on perfecting so I'm confused how many are upset about sizing and shape?

If you want a big size, look at Samsung's, Go buy the Samsung Note (the biggest one I've seen or whatever) and see how easy it is to hold and use.

I like the new one just the way it is and I'm looking forward to updating.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I think for me it's the fact that the camera's specs appear identical--on paper at least. Absolutely everything looks identical. The megapixel count. The aperture. The five-element lens. The IR filter. The backside illumination. (I'm of course hoping that the A6 is going to, ahem, chip in and make pictures shine.) Do I know which aperture F-number is best for which situation? No, I do not. Do I know that if everything else remains the same but the megapixel count is increased, better pictures are possible? Yes, I do.
Well first of all, I'm with you. I was excited for radical new camera technology, but instead they had to focus on fitting the current state-of-the-art camera in the 4S into a 20% thinner space. I get that... no small feat. I too am anxious to see what the A6 brings to the party. So much of modern digital photography is in the processing. But Apple seems to also realize that good optics are paramount so they keep making progress in that area where others cheap out.

I will disagree with your last statement there. 8MP is a fine sweet spot for a point-and-shoot camera, and cramming more pixels onto the same small sensor will not yield better, more detailed pictures... only larger ones. I'm glad they stuck with 8MP and instead focused on optimizing it.

Booyow1204

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2010
Las Vegas
Well first of all, I'm with you. I was excited for radical new camera technology, but instead they had to focus on fitting the current state-of-the-art camera in the 4S into a 20% thinner space. I get that... no small feat. I too am anxious to see what the A6 brings to the party. So much of modern digital photography is in the processing. But Apple seems to also realize that good optics are paramount so they keep making progress in that area where others cheap out.

I will disagree with your last statement there. 8MP is a fine sweet spot for a point-and-shoot camera, and cramming more pixels onto the same small sensor will not yield better, more detailed pictures... only larger ones. I'm glad they stuck with 8MP and instead focused on optimizing it.
I'm glad somebody else mentioned it on here, 8MP is plenty for a cell phone. If that's not enough for some they should really go out and buy a point and shoot camera and stop looking at Apple to surpass this. They make cell phones...they are never meant to compete w/a full fledged camera.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
But they do.

f2.4 is faster than most point-and-shoots. Hell, it's faster than the kit lens on my DSLR. It's truly amazing what they do in such a small package.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I'm only disappointed with two minor things:

1) I wish the iPhones got the new side playback controls that the iPod lineup got.
2) Considering we're probably going to be stuck with these lightning cables for a very long time, I wish they were a mag-safe design. Looks a bit fragile in pics. I guess we'll just have to see when we get our hands on it.

Reactions: Europa

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Sorry that I already have a "biggest disappointed" post here on this thread, but I have to mention another big one for me.

The prices of the three different iPhone models.

Flash memory is no longer new, and I know that prices cannot possibly be $100 extra for 16 GB Extra. And here's my proof:

16GB model - $199
32GB model - $299
64GB model - $399

Why does the 16GB jump t0 the 32GB model cost an additional $100, yet the 32GB jump to the 64GB model cost the same additional $100? Shouldn't it cost an additional $200?

Apple is my favorite company and my biggest passion at this point in my life.

At this ridiculous level of avarice, I refuse to shell out any more than $199 for the cheapest model.

Screw that... I don't need to have a plethora of songs at any given moment on my iPhone. I'm not planning on being on a deserted island anytime soon. As far as the picture taking, a weekly plugin into my iMac will move my pictures quite automatically to the Dropbox.

Reactions: iP5

Pixelologist

Bronze
Aug 6, 2007
Chicago area, USA

In fact, cramming more pixels into the same size sensor will, at some point, actually DECREASE picture quality, as counterintuitive as that sounds. More light gathering units in the same space = smaller light gathering units = less light to each one = grainier images.

There are reasons why a DSLR with 5 megapixel resolution will take a better picture than a point and shoot (or phone) with the same resolution. One is the glass, of course, but a major factor is that the point and shoot is cramming the same number of pixels onto a much smaller sensor.

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
Why would anyone get an S3?
Bigger screen
Picture in Picture video playback
Screen shots with the swipe of your hand over screen
Call a contact while looking at their messages by holding it up to your ear
Face unlock
Turn your phone over to silence a phone call
Vibration when you pick up your phone to notify of a mised call or text
NFC
Tap the top of the phone to returen to top of page (internet browser, contacts, etc)

Features like these and many more are what customers find helpful. Me on the other hand would probably use non of these so that's why I went with the One X over the GS 3. Sleek, nice camera and lite!

alamarco

Bronze
Nov 28, 2008
Canada
myfigurecollection.net
The biggest disappointment with me is not making the iPhone wider. It didn't have to get much wider, but it needed a little bump.

The keyboard in landscape mode takes up half the screen. In iMessages you can only see around 2-3 lines of text due to the bubble format. If you're in a group it's even worse because the group has a header at the top meaning you see only 1-2 lines of text.

I personally find typing easier in landscape. Due to the amount of text visible it's very hard to type and keep up with the conversation. A slight bump in width would of helped make landscape more usable.

Bonniea

Sep 14, 2012
I think smaller would be nice. . . the iPhone is pretty big compared to my last phone. But that is just me as I like compact.

Booyow1204

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2010
Las Vegas
I think smaller would be nice. . . the iPhone is pretty big compared to my last phone. But that is just me as I like compact.
That's a refreshing take on the iPhone. Most people want big phones, bigger doesn't mean it's better, I like the current size of the iPhone and hope they don't make it bigger/wider. I focus on pocket-ability so a bigger phone is just gonna be uncomfortable for me.

Jdsmitty10

Bronze
Oct 19, 2010
I like the size of my 4 and didn't care to have a bigger screen/phone.. Although I haven't seen it in person yet to compare how much bigger it really is. Still getting it tho.