Biggest disappointment about the iPhone 5?

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Same width. :cry:

Some already know this but I bought an unlocked Samsung Galaxy Nexus from Google Play about a month or two ago because I knew the leaks about the iPhone 5 were real. And it's awesome! The only things I can say I don't like about it is there is currently no "undo" in any of Android's OS's and the battery life blows, but I still enjoy it immensely.

Sorry, guys

Vernon Smith

Sep 16, 2012
If we can get past our irrational obsession with Apple product I believe more people would be equally disappointed with the latest specifications of the iPhone 5. As you mentioned smartphone users now use the camera on their phones to virtually take the place of digital camera while doing daily actives. As such, one would have hoped that with the release of the iPhone 5 that Apple would have invested more heavily in the phone's camera capabilities, rather than rely on putting out a camera that is simply the industry norm.

I think Nokia's 41 megapixel phone that you had mentioned is overkill, but it does go to show that it is possible for a higher quality camera to be put inside of a consumer level smartphone. It seems that with this release Apple will continue to rely on its marketing and brand power/ awareness to generate sales for this newest generation of the iPhone

Vernon Smith

Markyboy

Bronze
Oct 29, 2011
I think the iPhone 5 is a worthy upgrade but I do think they've been focussing unnecessarily on areas that aren't that important like this obsession with making the phone as thin as possible. I mean, who has been complaining that the previous iPhones were too thick?!
If they'd kept the thickness maybe they'd have been able to really improve battery life, or add in an NFC chip, or whatever.

Booyow1204

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2010
Las Vegas
I think the iPhone 5 is a worthy upgrade but I do think they've been focussing unnecessarily on areas that aren't that important like this obsession with making the phone as thin as possible. I mean, who has been complaining that the previous iPhones were too thick?!
If they'd kept the thickness maybe they'd have been able to really improve battery life, or add in an NFC chip, or whatever.
I'm pretty sure it's for the marketing of the iPhone. Lately the new phones have just been getting bigger and bigger. Apple is probably wanting to make it clear they can stay slim and sleek when other phones start takin the steroids.

(L)

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Arizona
For me the biggest disappointment was calling it the iPhone 5 instead of 6 or the new iPhone. Why would you call it iPhone 5 when it's the 6th phone that came out, it runs iOS 6 and has the a6 chip in it. It kinda bothers me to call the 6th phone iPhone 5. But I'll still get it. 16 gig 4's isn't cutting it anymore plus I'll still be able to keep my unlimited data with AT&T.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using iCafe

Reactions: acosmichippo

medenblik

Contributor
Silver
Mar 25, 2010
its not all about SIZE its how you use it ;)

only disappointment is I don't have the IP5 in my hands....have to wait until Friday :)

Reactions: Booyow1204

gea

Jan 15, 2009
Granted the software may be new, but it's still the same old phone from 2007.
Same home button, same slide to unlock, same icons. After 6 years of iPhone making you think Apple would change and give us a different design. After 4 years of ownership (3g and iPhone 4) I'm moving on to something different.

Until Apple decides to give us the ability to change thems, add widgets, change icons and give us complete customization I'm not going back to iOS.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Granted the software may be new, but it's still the same old phone from 2007.
Same home button, same slide to unlock, same icons. After 6 years of iPhone making you think Apple would change and give us a different design. After 4 years of ownership (3g and iPhone 4) I'm moving on to something different.

Until Apple decides to give us the ability to change thems, add widgets, change icons and give us complete customization I'm not going back to iOS.
Thus the reason jailbreaking was born :D

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
For me it has more to do with accessories for the iPhone 5.... no dock!?

I can't believe Apple isn't making a dock for it...

I was actually really interested in seeing what they were going to do with a dock for this iPhone. But you never know, they could be working on one or just a whole different way to charge all IOS devices and blow us away.

In fact, a few years back a patent leaked that they were working on a universal charging device. Maybe that'll come out and we, who would like a dock, will be happy!

Since it doesn't have a dock, I'll just use the adapter on my iPhone 4S dock if it'll fit. I hate laying the iPhone down on the desk if i don't have to.

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
I think Nokia's 41 megapixel phone that you had mentioned is overkill, but it does go to show that it is possible for a higher quality camera to be put inside of a consumer level smartphone. It seems that with this release Apple will continue to rely on its marketing and brand power/ awareness to generate sales for this newest generation of the iPhone

Vernon Smith
I actually see it the opposite way. I think other manufacturers make up for a buggy OS by trying to out-spec Apple. Marketers learned a long time ago, to help sales you have to quantify the value of your product... for cars it was HorsePower, MPG's etc. For batteries it was mAh and for cameras it was unfortunately MegaPixels. As psylichon and Pixelogist have pointed out more pixels doesn't always translate into better pictures. For me sensor size and good glass far outweighs pixel count. Take for instance Nikon's $6,000 D4 camera has 16.2mp... Nokia's 41mp camera phone isn't even in the same class despite having twice as many MP.

What's funny is I bet Apple doesn't care so much about MegaPixels but they know they have to produce a camera phone each year that's at least in the same MegaPixels ballpark as other camera phones just to appease those that really don't know what makes a great camera.

HYOH

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Doesn't have a toothpaste dispenser. Man, like seriously, my Motorola Droid Atrix 4G LTE HD One X S3 Something Or Other has had this for like YEARS now. Apple still hasn't caught up.

Still waiting to get upgraded past 2.3, but at least I have toothpaste!

josh.ua

Bronze
Sep 12, 2012
Atlanta, GA
about.me
I disagree on the megapixel comment, but not because the MP count doesn't matter. I disagree because Apple doesn't really focus on numbers. If they change a number yeah they will share that, but they choose to focus on the benefits of their products, not the just the features. So I have no doubt that the camera will look and work better than all previous revisions even without upgrading the MP.

As for what I am most disappointed about, it's actually the leaks. I love the phone itself but I wish Apple really had doubled down on security. I love a small tidbit here and their but this year took the fun out of everything. It's like opening all your christmas presents a week before but not getting to use them till the day of, and by then you are not as excited.

Reactions: jarofclay73