Bite SMS, why do Apple now allow it or add it I to their app?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
^ Well, that depends on which article/magazine/survey you look at. I've seen the iPhone 5 in the #1 spot in some.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
thats a valid point, but if Apple are wanting to stay in the mobile market they are going to have to do something because they have been at the top of the market since the first iPhone came out, my friend posted to me on facebook

"
Stuff! Magazines top
1. Samsung Galaxy SIII
2. Google Nexus 4
3.HTC One X+
4.apple iPhone 5''

http://www.stuff.tv/news/apple-news/versus/apple-iphone-5-vs-Samsung-galaxy-s3

So i think Apple will do something, because for example on their mac OS mountain lion they now allow 3rd party apps to be installed. I think this has been to keep up with both windows and linux.
Guess it depends on the source, huh? Opinions vary:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/48462/best-mobile-phone-2012-nominees

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
It would be nice if Apple offered 2 user experiences. When a new iPhone is purchased, during the activation process, it should allow the user to choose what kind of experience they want such as "simple" or "pro" where simple would keep it the way it is now and pro would allow more control and customization. IMO, it's a very easy concept and would satisfy a broader user base.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
It would be nice if Apple offered 2 user experiences. When a new iPhone is purchased, during the activation process, it should allow the user to choose what kind of experience they want such as "simple" or "pro" where simple would keep it the way it is now and pro would allow more control and customization. IMO, it's a very easy concept and would satisfy a broader user base.
I'd never happen, Apple hates fragmentation

Sent using iCafe app

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I'd never happen, Apple hates fragmentation

Sent using iCafe app
It wouldn't be anymore fragmented than it is now because the 2 different user experience would only affect native functions and keep apps the same. Some good examples of this existing concepts are Siri and Maps. Even though an iPhone 4 or earlier has iOS 6, they do not have the full experience as an iPhone 4S and iPhone 5. Same thing with apps. Some app functions/features are only available on the later iPhone models.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
It wouldn't be anymore fragmented than it is now because the 2 different user experience would only affect native functions and keep apps the same. Some good examples of this existing concepts are Siri and Maps. Even though an iPhone 4 or earlier has iOS 6, they do not have the full experience as an iPhone 4S and iPhone 5. Same thing with apps. Some app functions/features are only available on the later iPhone models.
I see where you're coming from but what you describe applies to devices being phased out, not new devices

Sent using iCafe app

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I see where you're coming from but what you describe applies to devices being phased out, not new devices

Sent using iCafe app
My point was Apple picking and choosing what devices get what but instead, they can give the user that choice when it comes to the experience. Google Maps proved that Apple chose not to included voice turn by turn guidance on earlier models of the iPhone when Google Maps was fully capable of doing voice turn by turn. Apple just made us think that the older devices didn't have the specs to support voice turn by turn.

applejosh

Bronze
Oct 15, 2009
I would like to see iOS modernized a bit. The in-app text reply would be huge for me. However, I think Apple is not going to roll out every possible feature from BiteSMS (or any other JB app) all at once. It seems like they either want to take time to "perfect" their vision of how things work or (my opinion) want to roll out features incrementally to keep people buying new devices. If the 3GS or 4 had Siri, that might have prevented some from upgrading to the 4S/5. I just seem to think that Apple strategically rolls out new features with new devices to provide just enough of a compelling reason to upgrade. As Android becomes more polished and feature complete, I hope it spurs Apple to start looking at the competition a little more closely and adjust what they roll into updates, accordingly. But I'm not overly optimistic yet.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
I would like to see iOS modernized a bit. The in-app text reply would be huge for me. However, I think Apple is not going to roll out every possible feature from BiteSMS (or any other JB app) all at once. It seems like they either want to take time to "perfect" their vision of how things work or (my opinion) want to roll out features incrementally to keep people buying new devices. If the 3GS or 4 had Siri, that might have prevented some from upgrading to the 4S/5. I just seem to think that Apple strategically rolls out new features with new devices to provide just enough of a compelling reason to upgrade. As Android becomes more polished and feature complete, I hope it spurs Apple to start looking at the competition a little more closely and adjust what they roll into updates, accordingly. But I'm not overly optimistic yet.
I agree, except for the "perfect" hypothesis you so eloquently stated. I think you are correct about Apple slowly releasing new features in new devices while excluding older models in an effort to force the upgrade to new devices.

Sent using iCafe app

applejosh

Bronze
Oct 15, 2009
I agree, except for the "perfect" hypothesis you so eloquently stated. I think you are correct about Apple slowly releasing new features in new devices while excluding older models in an effort to force the upgrade to new devices.

Sent using iCafe app
I don't think the "perfect" hypothesis is correct, either. But that seems to be what the PR people say about features. Think about the multi-tasking feature. They said they took so long so they could "perfect" it. IMHO, it's not a perfect multi-tasking feature, but that method does seem to save battery. They just said it took so long because they wanted to "perfect" it on iOS. I think they implemented it in response to Android (probably only somewhat) and to spur people to upgrade their devices (I think it only works for a subset of all devices on iOS 5, if I recall correctly).

diverdown

Contributor
Silver
Sep 12, 2007
NYC
Features from the jailbreak community many times get incorporated into iOS. If I'm not mistaken, the notification system in iOS is from a program created by a JB programmar. His notification JB app was very popular and Apple hired him to work on the official notifications. Perhaps now that there has been a change in the iOS leadership, more features (such as biteSMS and maybe even themes) will be incorporated into the next version iOS.

~S

hmfc-1874

Contributor
Silver
Sep 10, 2011
I don't think the "perfect" hypothesis is correct, either. But that seems to be what the PR people say about features. Think about the multi-tasking feature. They said they took so long so they could "perfect" it. IMHO, it's not a perfect multi-tasking feature, but that method does seem to save battery. They just said it took so long because they wanted to "perfect" it on iOS. I think they implemented it in response to Android (probably only somewhat) and to spur people to upgrade their devices (I think it only works for a subset of all devices on iOS 5, if I recall correctly).
True they do also have to think about battery usage I guess.
Slightly off topic but I never understood why they never game the user the option to be able to swap battery like old phones.
It was great would have one battery charging when other was not.
Heard rumours though that in the next phone Apple bring out, there is the wee cell in the battery that holds the main charge. And Apple will let users swap and charge the small cells with out having to open the main seal at the back.
Don't know how it would work though.

Sent using iCafe app

hmfc-1874

Contributor
Silver
Sep 10, 2011
Features from the jailbreak community many times get incorporated into iOS. If I'm not mistaken, the notification system in iOS is from a program created by a JB programmar. His notification JB app was very popular and Apple hired him to work on the official notifications. Perhaps now that there has been a change in the iOS leadership, more features (such as biteSMS and maybe even themes) will be incorporated into the next version iOS.

~S
Yeah providing Apple can track the programmar, they hunt them down and let they basically say "look, you will work for us or we will sue you to frack like every other company, human and their dog they can find"

Sent using iCafe app

diverdown

Contributor
Silver
Sep 12, 2007
NYC
Yeah providing Apple can track the programmar, they hunt them down and let they basically say "look, you will work for us or we will sue you to frack like every other company, human and their dog they can find"

Sent using iCafe app

I have not hear of many jailbreak app creators being sued. An as far as I know, he got paid very well and got his jailbreak application incorporated into the overall OS. I believe it to be a win win for the programmar.

~S

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
True they do also have to think about battery usage I guess.
Slightly off topic but I never understood why they never game the user the option to be able to swap battery like old phones.
It was great would have one battery charging when other was not.
Heard rumours though that in the next phone Apple bring out, there is the wee cell in the battery that holds the main charge. And Apple will let users swap and charge the small cells with out having to open the main seal at the back.
Don't know how it would work though.

Sent using iCafe app
Swapping batteries in any form is not something we will likely ever see on an iPhone.

Sent using iCafe app