Blackra1n RC3

Krunk83

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2008
This is great info! Thanks tinman, I'll have to try this the next time I have to do a restore!

Krunk83

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2008
Damn, this is just a few hours too late. I just spent 3+ hours restoring and setting up from scratch. After seeing this, I would have tried restoring from a backup, Mike.
Next time...
Thanks for the info.
Sometimes I like doing this. It's like a project for me. LOL. Plus, I can make some changes if I was sick of my old look.;)

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Oh yay, as if you hadn't heard enough, I'll bore you some more! :cool::cool:

The current method that iTunes uses to backup the iPhone uses two types of files, .mdinfo and .mddata, in pairs. You can see these files in any of your iTunes backup folders. In Windows, the folders are located here:

...\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\

I won't REALLY bore you with what these files are in detail, but suffice to say they are in fact binary plist files. They hold all of the backup information that is gathered and used by iTunes. All of it.

All of the plists that I noted in my previous message end up in the backup folder, as .mddata files. (And then some, as such things as camera roll photos end up there too, but I digress...)

So let's take a look at two of them...

I've attached two that are from Backgrounder, coincidentally a Cydia app (;)). These came right out of one of my recent backup folders, created by iTunes itself.

I've converted the data file to XML and renamed both of them as info.txt and data.txt so they can be attached here. The original names were f65247c327cdd6062d0985e22c33cf658ed3fff4.mdinfo and .mddata. Yuck.

The info.txt file is holding the name and location of Backgrounder's plist file. Don't be alarmed by the term "greylist" as it is used for all files, not just jailbreak app files.

Within the second file, data.txt, we see the actual data contained in backgrounder's plist itself. And for clarity "plist" means "preference list."

That plist contains my settings for Backgrounder. You can see I have animations enabled, badges enabled, and badges enabled, etc. Essentially every single setting that I can change within backgrounder is contained within that plist. And the plist I grabbed from iTunes own backup folder.

Is it really that far-fetched for iTunes, during a restore, to return these files, that itself backed up, from whence they came? Of course not. It's been doing it since the iPhone was released. (It hasn't always used the same process to do so, but that's a discussion for another day.)

So I hope I have explained how this "mysterious" behavior occurs. In truth it's not mysterious at all.

--
Mike

Attachments

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
That sucks, so late at night.
Good luck.

Are you restoring from back up again?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Well, I believe that it's always worked for him. And that's enough for me to try restoring my backup next time I update. Everything he's presented makes perfect sense. I've just always restored as new because it used to be sound advice and frankly it's not a big deal to me. I've always been a "fresh install" kind of person, but it's not something worth being religious about. :eek:k:eek:k

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Thanks for checking it out, Nap. A lot of people would have backed away from actually testing it.

I would like to point out though that I was merely showing how it actually works and that it works for me.

This doesn't mean I am asserting that it is right for everyone. In particular, if you are a big mod fan, and theme everything, some of that stuff could come back when you don't want it to. Your only option at that point is to restore as new.

And I should point out that I am lazy. If there is a faster way of doing something, that is "good enough," I'm a gonna take it. :)

--
Mike

Reactions: Napoleon PhoneApart

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Good point. I usually disable all themes right before restoring anyway. Now I'll just be sure to do a backup right after disabling them all.