Blocking a number from calling/texting on O2

roston100

Bronze
Apr 15, 2009
Hi

Does anyone know how i can block a number/person from calling/texting me?

I am on o2!

thanks

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
If you jailbreak your iPhone, you can download iBlacklist from Cydia, this will give you what you want.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I tried blocking a number when I got an iPhone, o2 wouldn't do it, unless you has a crime number or something. The worst thing is, if they know your number, what's to say they can't phone you from a number which hasn't been blocked.

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
I had this girl that used to call me at all hours of the night. I just made a new ringtone with no sound and made it her ringtone. The phone would receive the call but it wouldn't bother me because I couldn't hear it but all other calls I could hear. I knew she had called when I saw the missed call.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
I had this girl that used to call me at all hours of the night. I just made a new ringtone with no sound and made it her ringtone. The phone would receive the call but it wouldn't bother me because I couldn't hear it but all other calls I could hear. I knew she had called when I saw the missed call.
Could you post that? I would love to have that ringtone.

KrakaJap

Zealot
Gold
Jul 7, 2009
IL
Add the contact for the number you want to block... then assign a sexy profile picture to it and just remember not to answer it. :) eventually you'll train yourself to just sit back and enjoy the free picture of whatever. haha

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
I just found a great solution to add to the silent ringer. Don't know if it works but since I'm on T-Mobile now I was looking for ways to connect my visual voicemail and found this Apple store approved program called Youmail. It has a function where you can assign specific answering messages to specific numbers so when an ex girlfriend calls you won't hear it ring and it will be forwarded to this program and she'll get a specific message just for her!

http://www.youmail.com/home/corp/feature.do?name=ditch

Check it out and if anyone has used it and has more info on it let us know . I'm downloading it from the App Store right now.

Eninety2

Silver
Jul 22, 2008
actually there are two solutions to this aside from the JB route.

1. get a google voice account. it can do what you want and a lot more.

2. for $5, ATT will filter your calls, as many as you want from their website when you login. MY GF uses it on some annoying bill collectors.

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
Google Voice is by invitation only and they're not inviting anyone. If you're not with AT&T like me then you're out of luck there too. The Youmail program and the silent ringer are both FREE and can be used on a regular iPhone without having to Jail Break.

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
If you set your phone to vibrate then you can't expect it to not vibrate when you receive an unwanted call. Set it to ring with a silent ringtone and it won't make a sound.

Eninety2

Silver
Jul 22, 2008
If you set your phone to vibrate then you can't expect it to not vibrate when you receive an unwanted call. Set it to ring with a silent ringtone and it won't make a sound.
i think he was referring to the vibrate toggle in the settings app, not the physical toggle on the phone.

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
I don't even see anything about vibrate toggle anywhere on the page. I thought he was asking about what we were talking about. If he was asking a question regarding another post, that would explain it. The more detailed the question the better the answer.

KrakaJap

Zealot
Gold
Jul 7, 2009
IL
Google Voice is by invitation only and they're not inviting anyone. If you're not with AT&T like me then you're out of luck there too. The Youmail program and the silent ringer are both FREE and can be used on a regular iPhone without having to Jail Break.
Google is inviting people still... I was invited a few weeks ago. :p And it's awesome but isn't going to be a solution for anyone who already has your cellphone number. :)

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
You must be lucky because they're not open to requests from new users and haven't been for a while. If you have a contact at Google I'd like to use Google Voice myself. This is what they say about new requests, and it's the same I read 7 months ago when I got my 3GS and looked into it :

Google Voice invitation request

Thank you for your interest in Google Voice. We will let you know as soon as we open up the service to more users.

KrakaJap

Zealot
Gold
Jul 7, 2009
IL
Exactly... I had to wait 6 months before I received an invite. :) But it's still "open", more or less.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eninety2

Silver
Jul 22, 2008
I don't even see anything about vibrate toggle anywhere on the page. I thought he was asking about what we were talking about. If he was asking a question regarding another post, that would explain it. The more detailed the question the better the answer.
in your sounds page, under general settings there is a toggle to vibrate while its ringing.