Boycotting the new Leopard (Warning: Rant Inside)

SuperDave

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
I know what you mean.

When I bought my first iMac (November 17, 1998), they offered the "five colors" iMacs on January 5, 1999, and missed the return offer by two weeks.
Next I bought my iMac G5 (December 15, 2005), they released the Intel Macs in January 2006, and missed the return offer by three days.
Then I purchased the iPhone 8GB, June 29th, and they now decide to suddenly lower the price and drop the 4GB model, it makes no sense.

I have been with Apple since 1988, and I am hoping to get a new Mac, but I am going to wait until Leopard comes out, and to see if they are going to have newer machines after the OS release. It may be a good eight or nine months before I get a new computer.
At least someone on here can feel my pain haha. It seems to me that a lot of people (after reading the CNN piece) either don't care or don't mind. As a consumer, I'm outraged, period. Either Apple gives us all something for being loyal or will see another huge decrease in stock as people start to slowly move away from Apple. Now would be a great time for a competing company to come out with something new and exciting at a much lower price. Apple would have to match it (like they did with the Zune, those cowards) and be forced to live with an actual competitor.

SuperDave

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Being a consumerist and a capitalist is not a problem for me. It is obviously a problem for you (and people like you.) Don't throw me in the boat of blame because of your anger towards Apple.
Before yesterday, I was fine with Apple. As a matter of fact, I loved Apple. I didn't want to own another Windows machine for as long as I lived because I hate how Microsoft does businesss. How are they different now? Apple prided itself (as seen in their commercials) on being different than everyone else. They wanted to be cast as "the good company who will provide superior products." Microsoft has played it cool ever since by not taking the bait and watching as Apple pulls something stupid. Whether you like it or not, Apple shot themselves in the foot. The stock says so.

Since, as the OP, you threw out your suggestion not to buy Leopard, I'll toss one at you. Don't post.
Now who's under who's skin...?

snowcrash

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
At least someone on here can feel my pain haha. It seems to me that a lot of people (after reading the CNN piece) either don't care or don't mind. As a consumer, I'm outraged, period. Either Apple gives us all something for being loyal or will see another huge decrease in stock as people start to slowly move away from Apple. Now would be a great time for a competing company to come out with something new and exciting at a much lower price. Apple would have to match it (like they did with the Zune, those cowards) and be forced to live with an actual competitor.
Yeah and after you try your WM6 phone and your Zune and your Dell laptop with Vista and realize how bad all that stuff is (and mind you this is coming from a PC user who for over the last 12 years has been building PC and Network Engineer for 10 years, and hacking every thing I've ever had) you will realize that "well I might have got taken for $200 but at least its not THOUSANDS buying inferior devices that don't work, don't sync, don't play, and don't play well together and always need tweaking to get working right" you'll be back and think... Wow it was really silly to actually think I was so upset over something so small.

mlwagoner

Sep 3, 2007
To all iPhone customers

I just noticed this on the Apple website:

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/openiPhoneletter/

...we have decided to offer every iPhone customer who purchased an iPhone from either Apple or AT&T, and who is not receiving a rebate or any other consideration, a $100 store credit towards the purchase of any product at an Apple Retail Store or the Apple Online Store. Details are still being worked out and will be posted on Apple's website next week. Stay tuned.

We want to do the right thing for our valued iPhone customers. We apologize for disappointing some of you, and we are doing our best to live up to your high expectations of Apple.

Steve Jobs
Apple CEO

Hecubus

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Apple prided itself (as seen in their commercials) on being different than everyone else. They wanted to be cast as "the good company who will provide superior products."
And you obviously bought it hook, line, and sinker. Crying after the fact simply makes you an unsympathetic chump. Way to buy into the hype, Mr. Gullible. Now will you take the $100 that Steve is offering back to existing iPhone customers, or are you just going to cry more that it wasn't the full $200?

SuperDave

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Yeah and after you try your WM6 phone and your Zune and your Dell laptop with Vista and realize how bad all that stuff is (and mind you this is coming from a PC user who for over the last 12 years has been building PC and Network Engineer for 10 years, and hacking every thing I've ever had) you will realize that "well I might have got taken for $200 but at least its not THOUSANDS buying inferior devices that don't work, don't sync, don't play, and don't play well together and always need tweaking to get working right" you'll be back and think... Wow it was really silly to actually think I was so upset over something so small.
Very valid point.

I think right now I'm just blowing off steam because of what happened. However, I will think twice if I have a choice between Apple and competitor now, when before I didn't have to think. That could happen to millions of customers because of this. Apple just cast doubt into people's minds, when before, they just picked up the Apple product without thinking. Consumers are always brand name first, price second these days. Now that Apple no longer carries a badge of honor and are typically more expensive, it could hurt in the short and long run for them. But that's just my opinion.

SuperDave

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
And you obviously bought it hook, line, and sinker. Crying after the fact simply makes you an unsympathetic chump. Way to buy into the hype, Mr. Gullible.
I already told you that I went out and bought the latest gadgets before this on the first day, now it's just redundant. Do you have an iPhone? If so, you also bought into the hype whether you admit or not. So...how am I different from you?

Now will you take the $100 that Steve is offering back to existing iPhone customers, or are you just going to cry more that it wasn't the full $200?
Oh absolutely I will! That's really fantastic news. I don't want the full $200 back, I just wanted some sort of compensation for being a loyal customer. If we didn't buy the iPhone on the first day, it certainly wouldn't have sold so many. I will gladly take the credit and be happy.

Hecubus

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
If so, you also bought into the hype whether you admit or not. So...how am I different from you?
And I never said I didn't buy into the hype. The difference between you and me is I didn't have my feelings hurt at the price reduction. Another difference, you feel it necessary to impose your will on others simply because you're pissed off.

That really does make me feel better, honestly. I retract my boycott proposal!
I'm sure Steve will be delighted. I know I'm stoked.

SuperDave

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
And I never said I didn't buy into the hype. The difference between you and me is I didn't have my feelings hurt at the price reduction. Another difference, you feel it necessary to impose your will on others simply because you're pissed off.
Why weren't you upset when they announced the price drop? Are you so fabulously rich and wealthy that $200 is mere pennies in the pocket to you? I really want to know. In economics it's all about where the demand curve meets the supply curve to achieve equilibrium, right? People work on the same curves of satisfaction or the law of diminishing returns. My curve was at a $200 price drop and I was upset, where's yours? What's your threshold for "price pain", if you will? What if they dropped it by $300? Would that upset you? How bout $400? What will it take for you to get upset?

I am not "imposing" my will on anyone. I was merely suggesting, not forcing, manipulating, or threatening, that a boycott be put in place.

I'm sure Steve will be delighted. I know I'm stoked.
Well finally something we agree on! :)

Hecubus

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Why weren't you upset when they announced the price drop? Are you so fabulously rich and wealthy that $200 is mere pennies in the pocket to you? I really want to know. In economics it's all about where the demand curve meets the supply curve to achieve equilibrium, right? People work on the same curves of satisfaction or the law of diminishing returns. My curve was at a $200 price drop and I was upset, where's yours? What's your threshold for "price pain", if you will?
.........$201

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Boycott? Not hardly. Steve just made it nearly free to us.

Thanks, man :laugh2: