build iPhone 3GS or 3G yourself

Do you think it's possibile to build your own iphone?

• Yes

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • No

Votes: 18 78.3%

• Total voters

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
No you don't.

You can buy an iPhone battery as it comes. I know this for a fact as i've stripped my iPhone to replace the back cover with a nice blue one, I had to pull the battery of the back plate, I nearly broke it in the process. It comes with contacts that connect to the motherboard and so on.

If you could get the motherboard, battery, camera parts, headphone jack parts etc etc etc.... then it's just a case of getting a screen and housing.

It depends how deep the OP wants to go into getting the individual parts. But as stated, you would have no warranty whatsoever.

It's just like building a computer, you get all the major parts, which are all available, even if you buy broken iPhones off eBay or CL and you can make yourself an iPhone.

I think you guys are thinking a little deep. With maybe 2 broken iPhones you could build a perfectly working iPhone. It's what I do on the side. Buy broken one's, replace screens etc (sorry for the over use of 'etc') and sell them for more money and make profit etc.. easy money- eBay is my friend.
He said "build a new one from scratch". Using 2 broken iPhones isn't really the same thing IMO. That's more like a refurb than from scratch.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I suspect it would be about as easy as building a fine swiss watch from scratch.
^Sarcasm isn't really one of your best aspects.

He said "build a new one from scratch". Using 2 broken iPhones isn't really the same thing IMO. That's more like a refurb than from scratch.
I know, I was just trying to simplify things so people could look at it in a different way. You could do it, you would probably have to buy the motherboard intact, all other the other parts are no doubt available on the web somewhere. It would take a bit of time and a lot of patience.

It took me 5 hours to strip my phone, document how I did it and put it back together. The longest part for me was putting the the phone back together. There are a lot of fiddly little (and I mean very small) screws to contend with. I was very happy when I finally got it back together and hit the power button and it worked :sneaky:

I only have my iPhone to use as a camera, so I'll try and get a decent picture of it in a mirror.
:eek:k:eek:k

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
^ Very very cool !

It's the perfect shade of blue. How much do you charge to swap it out?

Where do you get the blue back covers?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I did lots of research and managed to get hold of a sister that worked along side a the original makers of the white/black coves that come with official iPhones.

The housing that I've got is or would be official if Apple made a blue iPhone. It even comes with all the stamps that a normal iPhone would have.

Are you asking me, how much would I charge to swap the housing for you?

If so, I'd do it for about £30.00 GBP plus P&P - I've done a couple for my mates, there are a few colors you can choose from. The only downside to doing it, is it's really time consuming, and you need to do it right.

RKaji

Aug 4, 2021
I think the iPhone 3GS is an excellent upgrade over the iPhone 3. The camera is perfect, and the software is even better. What's more, with the introduction of the internet and social media, photography has never been better. The interface of the iPhone 3GS is a little clumsier than other models, but this is a property that is easily overlooked in comparison to the iPhone 3's better hardware. Anyway, they are already old. My advice is to use buybackboss.com and to trade it in for a better one. The new 12 iPhone is the best one on the market.