Bumper ruined my iPhone

scraggles

Bronze
Jul 17, 2008
I've had a bumper on my iPhone since I day and it destroyed the metal bezel. Everything else is perfect that wasn't covered by the bumper. Anyone else have this problem?

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
Any Case for the iPhone (and I presume other phones) gets grit trapped under it which scratches the phone. If you had a full-backed case then the back of your phone would be scratched too. My bezel's also a little scratched; this is quite inevitable in my experience. :/

scraggles

Bronze
Jul 17, 2008
I know. Cases are useless for your phone plain and simple.

I hope I can still sell my phone for iday next year.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
No scratches on my phone with the otter box defender ... I know, I know... It's bulky but no grit etc...
So you really can't say that every case is worthless.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Ash1E

Nov 3, 2010
The bumper has caused a couple minor scratches on mine also, which includes one just under the sim slot and one at the bottom. It kind of sucks because the whole purpose is prevent damage, but it definitely would be much worse naked.

scraggles

Bronze
Jul 17, 2008
I had my 3G out of a case for about 6 months and it was fine. 2 days after putting a case on it the back had scratches. No more cases for me.

Ozzie5374

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Country South Australia
Gees. Where do U folks keep your phone? In the side of your boot? I just sold my 15 month old 3Gs which always had a Switcheasy Rebel case on and screen protector. Had to take case off to remove sim. Not a mark on it and I carried it on my belt in a Switcheasy Neo Clip 2.

Meltdownblitz

Bronze
Aug 23, 2009
Gees. Where do U folks keep your phone? In the side of your boot? I just sold my 15 month old 3Gs which always had a Switcheasy Rebel case on and screen protector. Had to take case off to remove sim. Not a mark on it and I carried it on my belt in a Switcheasy Neo Clip 2.
Same here, just sold my 3GS that was in immaculate condition. How much you sell it for?

Mustangman210

Bronze
Jul 15, 2010
In year the new iPhone will be out just like every June of every year. Curious as to the complaints about it. Life expectancy of any cell phone is 2-3 years then most go wacko due to a lot of things. So why worry about a couple of scratches you will soon get the new one and you know you will.

Last edited by a moderator:

{StatuSChecKa}

Contributor
Silver
Jul 7, 2010
NorCal
I swap cases every Sunday night. And I thoroughly clean the phone between cases, and No scratches or markings from any case.

jaw2k9

Bronze
Aug 9, 2010
No. No case ruined your phone, a scratch on a spot or 2 of metal band is not a ruined phone, and never will be, and most any case would likely cause similar scratches.

My car is ruined, it has a scratch in it, I wonder, what would happen if I went to infiniti and told them that?

Lunfai

Bronze
Sep 16, 2010
No. No case ruined your phone, a scratch on a spot or 2 of metal band is not a ruined phone, and never will be, and most any case would likely cause similar scratches.

My car is ruined, it has a scratch in it, I wonder, what would happen if I went to infiniti and told them that?
People over react all the time, its like someone who gets pissed off at waiting in the queue for 3 minutes. Now 10+ minutes is reasonable but 3 is just attention seeking.

But yeah, I'm not aiming that statement at anyone on this topic by countering the statement he posted.

"It has ruined the condition of his phone."

That's a more effective sentence to describe the event of using the Apple bumper. Also, I've started using the SGP Neo hybrid and it's perfect, it doesn't cause marks on my steel band and I don't have to clean it as often as I did with the Apple bumper.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe

jaw2k9

Bronze
Aug 9, 2010
Well I guess it's all in how individuals take care of their things and some find it too easy to blame others for mistakes that could be prevented.

That said, if the cover is on is the phone still 'ruined'?

I guess what I am saying is people buy (or received a cover), they use it - for a reason (whatever it may be, but in this case supposedly to help with reception), now they remove said cover and all of a sudden they won't use a cover anymore?

kunfuzious

Bronze
Nov 3, 2007
Boulder
I have the IS side and bak protection installed with the bumper. No scratches at all, even with dirt/grit trapped underneath.

fboyles

Jun 17, 2010
I just got back from the Apple store with a brand new Bumper and iPhone because the Bumper's soft rubber/silicone stretched out allowing for the iPhone to wiggle in the case which the firm plastic in the Bumper caused abrasions to the metal case. I originally went in thinking that I would just ask to get the Bumper replaced but when I asked the Genius if they had seen this problem and they said "oh yeah" then I just thought this is going to continue to happen due to a design flaw, so I have decided to look for a new case. My big gripe is I bought this case to protect my iPhone and I take care of my stuff. I didn't buy a cheap 3rd party case I bought the OEM Bumper it should have been lined on the inside with the same soft rubber silicone.