MacBook Pro Buying my first MBP, help?

kyleplusitunes

Silver
Jun 25, 2010
I am going to buy my first MBP this week. I was wondering if I would be okay with the 13 inch, or if the performance difference is noticeable in a 15 inch, enough to justify the extra hundreds of dollars.

Where is the best/cheapest place to make the purchase?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
The size doesn't really have an effect on the performance. If you are concerned about performance then you will need to look at what processors inside the MBP, how much RAM there is too.

As you go up in size, you get extra little things like ports, more than two USB ports for example. I got a new MBP for Christmas, it's the 13" model - 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM (Ordered 8GB, should be with me soon), 250GB HD. It's perfect for what I use it for. I'm looking forward to adding 8GB RAM, the performance is already brilliant but I still want more :)

There are too many places to name to get cheap Mac's from, try using Google shopper. Another option to consider is getting an official refurbished MBP directly from Apple.

computerfox

Zealot
Gold
Oct 2, 2009
New Jersey
www.abelgancsos.com
I am going to buy my first MBP this week. I was wondering if I would be okay with the 13 inch, or if the performance difference is noticeable in a 15 inch, enough to justify the extra hundreds of dollars.

Where is the best/cheapest place to make the purchase?

1-like mentioned, size has nothing to do with speed. keep in mind that os x is unix, which is a lot cleaner and smaller than windows, causing it to naturally run more solid and faster. for example, i run a core 2 duo and that's MORE than great for me and i do a lot of web design and programming. unless you do massive editing (videos/music), you probably don't need anything greater than that. core 2 duo refers to the processor or the complicity the computer can process events (key punches,clicks, daemons[background programs]) the memory is the potential short term memory the computer has or the complicity to hold new information until through repetition becomes long term memory (learned information). thereforee these two combines will give you the speed.

2-ebay tends to be a great place, especially if you want to see if you can save money on a core 2 duo rather than buying a new i5 for double the cost. stay away from craigslist at all cost

3-Applecare isn't needed, but is always a great idea. treat the mbp like a baby, the more you baby proof the house, the better.

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
1-like mentioned, size has nothing to do with speed. keep in mind that os x is unix, which is a lot cleaner and smaller than windows, causing it to naturally run more solid and faster. for example, i run a core 2 duo and that's MORE than great for me and i do a lot of web design and programming. unless you do massive editing (videos/music), you probably don't need anything greater than that. core 2 duo refers to the processor or the complicity the computer can process events (key punches,clicks, daemons[background programs]) the memory is the potential short term memory the computer has or the complicity to hold new information until through repetition becomes long term memory (learned information). thereforee these two combines will give you the speed.

2-ebay tends to be a great place, especially if you want to see if you can save money on a core 2 duo rather than buying a new i5 for double the cost. stay away from craigslist at all cost

3-Applecare isn't needed, but is always a great idea. treat the mbp like a baby, the more you baby proof the house, the better.
Sometimes Applecare is not needed. I baby my MacBook and have had a CD/DVD drive as well as a hard drive go out. Just the luck of things it seems.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
And get Applecare from ebay. It will save you $100+ and well worth it.
I'd recommend against eBay for AppleCare -- too many scams. I'd say go with Amazon.

As for the 13" vs 15", both are very capable machines. Unless you are doing some serious video editing, either will be good for you. I recommend www.macsales.com to boost your RAM -- that will have a big impact on either machine you select.

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
I'd recommend against eBay for AppleCare -- too many scams. I'd say go with Amazon.

As for the 13" vs 15", both are very capable machines. Unless you are doing some serious video editing, either will be good for you. I recommend www.macsales.com to boost your RAM -- that will have a big impact on either machine you select.
You ever try newegg? I was checking out the site you just posted out of curiosity. I upgraded my hard drive and ram for significantly cheaper than macsales. Macsales is still better than going direct to the Apple store. As for ebay there can be scams but its all about being smart on who you buy from. I believe Applecare for my macbook is around $200 on Amazon as opposed to the $100 I paid on ebay.

Mthoroughbred

Zealot
Silver
Dec 16, 2008
I just got my very first MacBook pro yesterday. I ended up getting the 1199.00 i5 with 4g of ram and 320hdd and I tell you that I'm in love. This is the first Apple computer I have ever owned and I can say that for the little time that I have spend with it I will never buy another windows machine at least as my main computer. Loved the whole Apple store experience now I can see why Apple is so successful. I am really excited about this computer so much that I will buy the iMac when they do a refresh in the fall.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I just got my very first MacBook pro yesterday. I ended up getting the 1199.00 i5 with 4g of ram and 320hdd and I tell you that I'm in love. This is the first Apple computer I have ever owned and I can say that for the little time that I have spend with it I will never buy another windows machine at least as my main computer. Loved the whole Apple store experience now I can see why Apple is so successful. I am really excited about this computer so much that I will buy the iMac when they do a refresh in the fall.
Awesome machine. Congrats on your first Mac!