Camped Out in Line Waiting

john_T

Silver
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Why no screen protector? How campin my friend? My internet just got up so iTunes is waiting as I am for FedEx!

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
Why did they say not to use a screen protector?
Nobody could give a tech answer on that. But they definitely said don't use one for now until they get some more info. Thing is, there was the typical plastic sheet on the phone out of the box, so I can't figure out how a static adhesive would harm it. But Apple not wanting to sell them for the phone and make some $$$ definitely made me scratch my head, so there must be merit to the warnings.

Oh, and the other advice is definitely don't use chemical cleaners on the screen.

Volume increase is ok.

Everything took about 45 minutes when I was about 100th person in line. Very smooth and the fastest part was actually the in-store activation when they plugged my phone in. That took about 30 seconds.

Compass works very nicely and doesn't jump all over the place. It does work horizontally and vertically oriented which even my Garming handheld had trouble doing. Haven't found out how the Compass directional field works in Maps yet.

After a restore that took about 5 minutes, every icon and setting is cloned from my 3G. The only thing is, now my 3Gs has my Lifetime usage of my 3G showing on it.

I said it before, but CRAP! This thing opens apps fast. iPod is instant on the S, takes 4 seconds on the 3G.

Camera focus and video are on par and even better than expected.

The screen is a shade darker under highest brightness. Maybe the coating has something to do with it. It's very noticeable when the screen auto dims.

Battery % indicator is under the "usage" setting. Good to have.

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
This has to do with the protectors interfering with the sensor on the display that know when you have put the phone to your ear.

When you raise it to your ear the display turns off. In some cases the phone display does not go off or comabck on when you lowere the phone from your ear.

Apple folks have been recommending that customers cut the top 1 inch of the protector off and then put it on the phone.

I would guess that the optically pure clear protectors are probably less prone to the issue while the anti-fingerprint protectors more prone.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
Is it just me or is the speaker a lot louder?
From the 3G to the S, a little louder. Very noticeable but not in the range of a BB Storm's loudness.(Which freaked me out how loud that thing is). I'd say a few dB louder.

Blueline29

Bronze
Jun 12, 2009
St. Louis
Just got back home & am synching now. :laugh2: I was the first preorderer in line, and thus the first person let into the air-conditioned store. Thank God for that, because it is insanely disgustingly hot and humid out today. The only minor snafu was that somehow with my multiple orders (one online, one in store), somehow it got entered into the system that I had upgraded to my BB Bold yesterday. Um, NO. I went from calm to nuclear in about a tenth of a second when I heard that. I think I scared the poor man sent out to deal with me. lol. Thankfully, one of the managers there remembered me from when I was in last weekend and OK'd everything, so I didn't have to kill anyone. ;)

Local news was there, and they filmed some high school chick getting her new 32 GB phone; apparently, she'd dropped her existing iPhone off of a moving golf cart or something yesterday and the display was toast, so her parents sprung for a new, out of contract one. Must be nice.

I am already impressed as HELL with the speed and the email display; that was all I had time to play with during the brief drive home. Especially impressed with Safari in view of the fact that when I tried to post on my Bold just after getting to the store, the stupid thing locked up twice and took more than a minute to load the log-in page. Grrrr. I loved everything else about it, but the internet was all but unusable with it, and that sucked.

I'm so excited to play! Oh, and my TransPod Direct says it's not designed to work with the iPhone, but I don't know if they mean that that's just because it can't be used as a speakerphone-type deal or if it just won't charge it or what. Doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things because I'll probably just use the nano in the car anyway (easier to use w/o taking my eyes off of the road), but it's still a minor aggravation.

Saiko

Bronze
Jun 3, 2007
I'm now a proud owner of a White 32GB iPhone 3GS! :laugh2: Just got back home not long ago! Was first in line at the VP Apple store in Nebraska. Met some nice people in line and got soaked from the monsoon that passed over us. (I had an umbrella and still got real wet!)

Activation and all that didn't take long at all, I was in and out super fast. Being first in line, all the Apple employees clapped when I walked in and to the front of the store. :p It's all pretty silly. I had fun though.

Syncing my 3GS now, so I can't really play with it. I toyed around with it right when I got home and boy.. Coming from a V1... Like Psylichon said, "wow." I love it. I'm so glad I went with the white. Very excited to tinker with this after I get some SLEEP! :laugh2:

You guys are all real great here at EiC. It was fun reading all the rumors, updates, and opinions here with all ya. Here's to many more iterations of the iPhone in which we'll freak over! :cool:

Blueline29

Bronze
Jun 12, 2009
St. Louis
Is it just me or is the speaker a lot louder?
I don't know how it compares to past iPhones, but it's quite a bit louder than my Bold, that's for sure. And it's nice to have a vibrate setting that you can actually FEEL. I might as well have put the Bold on silent every time I used vibrate; I never once felt it when it was in a pocket.