Can Apple replace/fix this iPhone 3G?

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
i recently bought an iPhone from somebody, and the LCD had gotten broken so i had someone i know fix it for me (for a price). and then after a while, the screen went out. you could hear clicks and sounds when you press the screen but the screen was turned off. i gave it back to that same friend and he fixed it again. and a couple of weeks later its doing that same thing again. i don't want to go through that same friend again so i am wondering if i can take it to Apple and would they be able to fix it? the phone is jailbroken but i can still restore it, but im wondering if would they be able to tell if the phone has been fixed by an unathorized person and also if they would still be able to fix it since i had bought it off of someone?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You can take it to an Apple store for repair but they will charge you since it is no longer under warrany. Restore it to factory settings first.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
It really depends on the Genius and a few other factors. Is the phone still under warranty? Does it have any signs of physical damage that would immediately make the Genius question you?

Do defective screens these days (in addition to malfunctioning home buttons) an Apple genius actually removes the entire display apparatus and replaces it with a new one. This could definitely lead them to see that it is not an OEM display but once again, it depends on the Genius.

Krunk83

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2008
I opened up my phone to try and fix it (literally to the screen off and played around with the inerds) because it had water damage. Afterwards took it to the Apple store and they had no clue that the phone had been opened, but I was very careful and it looked normal when I brought it in. I knew it was water damaged and the warranty was voided anyway though.

Krunk83

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2008
I didn't. The issue was that the home button didn't work after the water damage so you had to turn the phone off/on to change apps. Total PITA. So I opened it up and noticed that one of the three or four connectors (I can't remember how many exactly but they are labeled) was disconnected. I thought that was the issue so I reconnected it but it still didn't work. Tried the rice thing with no luck. So had no choice but to take it in for a replacement.

My wife placed her 3G in a cup of Dr. Pepper driving home from the 4th of July. She had had a few. LOL.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
It really depends on the Genius and a few other factors. Is the phone still under warranty? Does it have any signs of physical damage that would immediately make the Genius question you?

Do defective screens these days (in addition to malfunctioning home buttons) an Apple genius actually removes the entire display apparatus and replaces it with a new one. This could definitely lead them to see that it is not an OEM display but once again, it depends on the Genius.
im not really sure, how can i check for sure if its still under warranty? (oh and just the silent switch is broken, but other than a few scratches everything else looks fine)

I would consider selling the broken 3G on ebay. You can easily get over $200 for it: http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=broken+iPhone+%223g+%22&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Sell the broken one for $200ish and buy a used (working) 3G for $300 to $350. Net cost would be about $100 to $150

Just a thought.
if all else fails this is what i will have to do :(