Can someone actually confirm no 3G.

ATT*Mark

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Seriously guys, with all of the geeks all over the iPhone, someone would have found a 3G chip in the FCC documents by now. There's no 3G in the current iPhone.

Joe
fcc only tests current released phone functions and approves the phone based on that .if Apple did include 3g in this phone it would require a new fcc evaluation prior to enabling the feature. all this stuff is easily available on the fcc's site . also sites like phonescoop announce fcc approvals daily on new phones so they would see it first and announce the 3g feature being enabled. 3g isn't all that much better than edge . 3g hasent even officially been rolled out yet , its very new and very spotty. and you guys complaining about battery life can kiss it goodbye in 3g and im not kidding on that.

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
Top that off with the FCC's natural skepticism about a later "software enabling" would lead to them insisting the 3G chip be tested because Apple couldn't prove no one would hack that future feature.
FCC regulates the Radio Spectrum and the FCC tested it on the iPhone. At&t uses 850mhz and 1900mhz for there 3G. What kinda of test are you talking about on a 3G chip?

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
fcc only tests current released phone functions and approves the phone based on that .if Apple did include 3g in this phone it would require a new fcc evaluation prior to enabling the feature. all this stuff is easily available on the fcc's site . also sites like phonescoop announce fcc approvals daily on new phones so they would see it first and announce the 3g feature being enabled. 3g isn't all that much better than edge . 3g hasent even officially been rolled out yet , its very new and very spotty. and you guys complaining about battery life can kiss it goodbye in 3g and im not kidding on that.
Gonna agree with the statement about battery life with 3G. Even with short, moderate browsing, your battery will be literally DEAD at the end of an 8-hour work day. I would still greatly appreciate the option, though..... just turn it on when you actually do some browsing, and it probably wouldn't eat that much battery.

zeluiz22

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Seriously guys, with all of the geeks all over the iPhone, someone would have found a 3G chip in the FCC documents by now. There's no 3G in the current iPhone.

Joe
You should re-read the first post on this thread.

bcaslis

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Oregon
That's not true there are lots on non 3G phones. There are zero 3G blackberries for example, their newest one, the Curve is only EDGE and no wifi either.

But I thought that just about every other phone AT&T sells now comes standard with 3G capability, some of them really thin. Is it REALLY a size issue if it's so standard in every other phone?

ATT*Mark

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
going in between edge and 3g really kills battery . im fortunate enough living in the bay area that i have 3g almost everywhere i go local. but on my blackjack i had to disable it , hour or 2 of playing around when i was in 3g would kill the extended battery . even when your not searching internet sites on 3g your phone is being drained by 3g.

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
Wow.

Yes, 3G consumes more power when used. At&t sells a lot of phones with 3G and so far the iPhone has the best battery life out of any phone.

As for the chip, its not to big. It's in the phone. Needing someone to confirm that the ARM Processor or any other chip does not contain the WCDMA coprocessor.

For the ones that say no 3G for sure. Why would you put a chip in a phone that can handle 3G and not use it. Could have used a good old fashion EDGE chip.

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
It's not there and won't be there. The people that disassembled the iPhone have already released that information.
Who? That is what I am wanting to know. The people I am watching can't confirm this as of now and they are in the phone.

Could you please post a link.

Heckler

Jul 1, 2007
As stated before Steve Jobs specifically stated in several interviews that the phone does not have a 3G chipset in it. Also, none of the so called "experts" who have dissasembled the iPhone have been able to prove otherwise. So I would consider that confirmed. Even if it did have 3G I would bet that the majority of iPhone users would not have 3G connection in their area, then everyone would be slamming the iPhone for having 3G that most cannot use.

JnC

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
It's not there and won't be there. The people that disassembled the iPhone have already released that information.
I respectfully disagree.

First up, all teardowns that I've seen to date (with two exceptions) were performed by novices who were ill-equipped to determine the true manufacturers of repackaged chips. And only one teardown report gave extensive chip information that allowed cross-referencing to data sheets.

The most detailed teardown revealed the Infineon GSM chip. Reading the datasheet associated with the chip states that it is capable of 3G with a coprocessor chip. There is a second chip in close proximity to the GSM chip, that wasn't identified other than it was made by Infineon.

To quote the OP: "Can someone confirm that it does not have a coprocessor?"

Until the identity of the second chip is determined, "no 3G" cannot be confirmed.

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
As stated before Steve Jobs specifically stated in several interviews that the phone does not have a 3G chipset in it. Also, none of the so called "experts" who have dissasembled the iPhone have been able to prove otherwise.
Here is a data sheet on the PMB8876 chip that is in the phone

http://www.tranzistoare.ro/datasheets/208/464709_DS.pdf

Infineon Date Page down at this time.

and here are some pics of the chip inside

http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=165480

Also, do you know which interview? I am researching this and would like to confirm that he actually says no 3G chip set.

zeluiz22

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Infineon

As stated before Steve Jobs specifically stated in several interviews that the phone does not have a 3G chipset in it. Also, none of the so called "experts" who have dissasembled the iPhone have been able to prove otherwise. So I would consider that confirmed. Even if it did have 3G I would bet that the majority of iPhone users would not have 3G connection in their area, then everyone would be slamming the iPhone for having 3G that most cannot use.
http://i.cmpnet.com/techonline/uth/iPhone1_High.jpg

I thought the S-Gold-2 WAS HSDPA compatible, no?

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
For the ones that say no 3G for sure. Why would you put a chip in a phone that can handle 3G and not use it. Could have used a good old fashion EDGE chip.
Well, one reason could be that the EU and Asian market iPhones will almost certainly have 3G and this would be one way to have the device nearly ready for those market releases without having to TOTALLY re-engineer the whole thing.

just a theory...

zeluiz22

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Why would you slam a product that has something you can't use? It's like saying Verizon is a cruddy company, because their network doesn't reach your home in the mountains. I get plenty of 3G coverage, here, and would love to at least be given the OPTION of using it. I can deal with the fact that I don't, and may never, with the iPhone. It would be very SWEET if suddenly that changed, though.

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
The spec sheet reads "3G upgradeable with WCDMA coprocessor."
Now can you confirm that the SAMSUNG chip does not contain the Coprocessor or any other chip. That is what I am trying to establish.

Why would they redesign a phone in less than 6 months to support 3G in the UK which does not have EDGE. The Phone is being released 4th Quarter in the UK.

zeluiz22

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Now can you confirm that the SAMSUNG chip does not contain the Coprocessor or any other chip. That is what I am trying to establish.

Why would they redesign a phone in less than 6 months to support 3G in the UK which does not have EDGE. The Phone is being released 4th Quarter in the UK.
They wouldn't. It just wouldn't make sense. And while I am not nearly so naive as to believe that Apple wouldn't want to alienate US purchasers with a 3G hardware update, I DO believe they wouldn't re-open manufacturing to add the coprocessor if they didn't have to.

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007

AND - the UK is not the only market in the EU - and not the most likely to avoid a product that doesn't implement the latest technology. Germany, Italy, Spain, France, Austria, etc. These markets will not embrace the iPhone nearly as completely without 3G. Factor in the impending Asian release and 3G becomes an enormous issue. For anyone in an Asian economy who can afford a smartphone, the iPhone becomes merely a curiosity without 3G. Considering the fact that Asia (as a whole) is, by far, the largest cellular telecom consumer, that would seem like THE market any company would want to appeal to.

By including a 3G chip in the already available US iPhone, Apple is already ahead of the curve. It could be that IF our iPhone has a 3G chip, it may not be powered - or it could eventually be activated by a firmware update.

One thing is for sure, 3G is NOT widespread enough in the US (yet) for most people to be concerned. I live in the biggest consumer market in SC and they still can't tell us with any degree of certainty when we will have access. At the earliest, it'll be late 4th quarter, but the more likely scenario is mid to 3rd qtr 08. With this knowledge, 3G is not an issue for me personally.