Can we share apps?

Maaz

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
LA California
Hey I was wondering can me and my (close) friends share apps that we bought from the app store or split them and download to both our accounts?

ct2k7

Bronze
Jul 7, 2009
I've never been able to do that officially, iTunes recognizes both as different devices, but maybe if you use the same Apple Id on each device.

gotzaiPhone

Zealot
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
Technically you can. You need to sign into your friend's iPhone with your iTunes account and download the same app again. It will ask if you want to re-download and you say yes and there you go, you've "shared" an app. My wife and I use the same iTunes account and that's how we've been doing it since the app store came about, though she just leaves her phone signed in with my account.

Bigjames

Jul 9, 2009
Agreed. My wife has an iPhone, and when I got mine and registered it I ended up with all her apps, and contact.

James

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
If you are going to do that, I advise taking your credit card info off of the account and using iTunes gift cards. Although, your friend probably won't rack up a bill for you, it's best to be safe.

gotzaiPhone

Zealot
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
Well it won't be a problem if I do the sign in and signing off for him? He won't know my password.
you'll be fine if you sign out. If you forget, there is a certain period of time (I don't know how long though) that he can start downloading apps without a password. So just remember to sign out right away.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Technically you can. You need to sign into your friend's iPhone with your iTunes account and download the same app again. It will ask if you want to re-download and you say yes and there you go, you've "shared" an app. My wife and I use the same iTunes account and that's how we've been doing it since the app store came about, though she just leaves her phone signed in with my account.
Just make sure he authorizes your computer that you sync with as well.