Can't afford AT&T $500 bill

YvilKittyInSpace

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
Hi all

Well yes it's all my fault. I had two iPhones, both white 3G phones. I cancelled one and sold it on eBay. The cancellation fee of course was $160. At that time, I added a BlackBerry Curve to my account. Suddenly, I now have a bill that is over $500 that I simply can't pay. I'm ok with that, they will turn it over to collections and my service on the two phones cancelled. What I did do was buy a new iPhone with a two year contract since $199 was much more affordable and this is on a completly separate account than my other two phones.

Does anyone know if AT&T will eventually cancel this account too or will I be safe? And no, I don't have plans on selling the extra iPhone.

TJL7386

Bronze
Nov 14, 2008
Michigan
Why on earth would you purchase another phone when you can't afford the two you have to begin with? As far as I know from people who I know that work at AT&T they will cancel your other phone service. They do it by name, best bet might be to un-lock one?

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
Why did you get another account when you couldn't pay the first one? You could have paid that 200 in your bill and they would have been satisfied. All you have to do is call them and let them know something. Pay what you can but make sure you keep them updated. There not going to cancel your service over some late payments. Personally I would cancel your new service too. Would you keep giving out loans to the same person if they never paid you?

YvilKittyInSpace

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
I don't need the advice or judgments, I was just asking if the new account would be safe. I won't cancel it on my own because then I would also have the $175 cancellation fee on that one as well.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
Wow... Come to a forum asking for advice and then get upset when you get it. I don't understand some people. I'm sure everything will be just fine for you.

YvilKittyInSpace

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
Wow... Come to a forum asking for advice and then get upset when you get it. I don't understand some people. I'm sure everything will be just fine for you.
Re-read my post. Did I ask for advice? I just asked if they would also cancel my new account. Learn how to read. I don't understand some people.

cevtv

Bronze
Nov 23, 2008
People like you are the reason people like us - who pay their bills and adhere to contracts we sign, have to pay so much for a phone......:mad:

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Easy, everybody. [passing out chill pills]

Is the new account in a different name? Address? Credit card? I have a feeling they'll figure it out.