Congress Looking @ Cellphone Exclusivity & Other Wireless Carrier Practices.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Greetings Forum Members,
Congress is finally taking a look at cellphone exclusivity. Here is the link to the New York Times article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/23/technology/personaltech/23pogue.html?_r=1&ref=technologyarticle

BTW: I say it's about time! Cellular companies have gone crazy with their rates and fees. I understand that companies are in businesss to make a profit but they don't have to rape the customer in the process.

I also believe as I always have. I do not need Steve Jobs or any other cellphone maker's CEO choosing my carrier for me (just because I buy their product). I am perfectly capable of choosing my own carrier. I just need the cellphone maker to sale me the device. I will do the rest.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i really don't think it's Apple's fault the iPhone is an ATT exclusive. Don't you think Apple would prefer to be on every major carrier?

It's just a bone they had to throw ATT to give them the control they wanted over their precious device.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Greetings Forum Members,
Congress is finally taking a look at several practices by U.S. Cellular carriers. The topics of discussion include cellphone exclusivity, double billing, charging extra for texting when a data plan is present and a host of other gripes by consumers. Here is the link to the New York Times article.
Whoa there, Mark, that's not exactly accurate. Congress only discussed cell phone exclusivity. It was David Pogue, the author of the Times article, that brought up the other issues.

--
Mike

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Whoa there, Mark, that's not exactly accurate. Congress only discussed cell phone exclusivity. It was David Pogue, the author of the Times article, that brought up the other issues.

--
Mike
Mike,
You are correct I got so excited that I inclued other issues. Well hopefully they will get around to other issuses also. Editing now. Mark

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I only wish. The text messaging thing really gets to me.

Seems like it was only a few years ago cell rates were still dropping. Now they've stabilized and have gone up, with the nickel-and-diming going on.

That said there are a few things Pogue seems confused or ignorant about, and that's odd for him. He thinks that the "page this person" feature is, literally, about sending a page to a pager: "Page this person!? Oh, sorry, I didn’t realize this was 1980!" Uh, Pogue, that's a numeric page that is simply sent as an SMS with a phone number to call. He also, in his newsletter today, as well as the article above, is on some sort of a mission about the 15 seconds of instructions you (may) have to listen to before leaving someone a voice mail. Maybe it's me but I see far more important issues to be concerned over than that. ;)

I can somewhat agree with the double-billing thing, but Pogue seems ignorant about that too. He mentions how in many countries in Europe, for instance, you only pay for outbound cell calls, as inbound calls are free. But what he didn't mention was that in many cases the caller pays a higher fee to call that cellphone, as opposed to calling a land line. So it's not exactly like inbound calls are "free."

--
Mike

MrEous

Silver
Dec 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
i really don't think it's Apple's fault the iPhone is an ATT exclusive. Don't you think Apple would prefer to be on every major carrier?

It's just a bone they had to throw ATT to give them the control they wanted over their precious device.
Both companies came to the agreement to sell exclusively on ATT...I think you're giving ATT too much credit (blame?) on securing an exclusive deal like this.

ct2k7

Bronze
Jul 7, 2009

Apple chose them to win the bid for the iPhone exclusivity.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Whatever the case may be, it wasn't solely Apple's decision. Remember, they went to Verizon first, but verizon didn't want to give them the control they wanted.

And i ask again: don't you think Apple would prefer the iPhone to be available on every network?