Could the iPhone cause you to switch to a Mac?

Could the iPhone cause you to switch to a Mac?

• I already switched to a Mac

Votes: 38 36.5%
  • I might consider switching to a Mac

Votes: 48 46.2%
  • I would never consider switching to a Mac

Votes: 18 17.3%

• Total voters

Matt Random

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
I'm happy with how well the iPhone work with Windows. I considered a Mac back when I first started working with Adobe Lightroom then I realized it would be silly to switch for a single app. I'm not a fan of MS, but I am a fan of all the software (a lot of it free) that is available for the platform. I use alternatives to MS when ever possible such as Firefox and Google Desktop search.

webb

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Southern NJ, USA
I'm happy with how well the iPhone work with Windows. I considered a Mac back when I first started working with Adobe Lightroom then I realized it would be silly to switch for a single app. I'm not a fan of MS, but I am a fan of all the software (a lot of it free) that is available for the platform. I use alternatives to MS when ever possible such as Firefox and Google Desktop search.
I use firefox as well which I think is a Linux based application. But I could be wrong.

Fred

EJW2202

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
Just use bootcamp, you will get both and no one will be disappointed.:laugh2:
I am definitely getting a mac for my next purchase. Sadly, I'm still stuck with a pc.

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
A week after buying my iPhone, I went down and bought a brand new shiney MacBook Pro. Lovin' every minute of it. :laugh2:
bam! man you in serious businesss!...i'm going to do the same thing, yet in reverse...i'm going to get the macbook then the iPhone...word

Darkfox

Aug 6, 2007
After horrible school-related incidents with early MACs and developing an affinity for building/repairing PCs I would never consider switching. Of all the bad rep. that PCs and poor Windoze gets, I've never had any problem with either one.

Johnny iPhone

Jul 1, 2007
Ive used both for a while. Honestly speaking, computer use has never been more pleasurable then OS X. I still use Windows all day at work but I get so frustrated after all the issues. OS X is not just eye candy - it's just much better than XP - don't get me started on Vista!

Now that I have a macbook I like the option of dual booting for the one or two odd programs that are windows only but honestly, I can think of only a handful of things that I can do on Windows that I can't do (better!) on OS X.

ps - I've convinced quite a few people to make the switch and
1. not one has needed technical help
2. not one has regretted it!

iphonenut

Bronze
May 17, 2007
this is a really good question, and one that i'm sure the people in cupertino are eager to hear.

as for me, i SOOO want to like the Macs. i really really do. especially the new iMac. I was almost drooling when i saw them today.

with that said...i can't, for the life of me, operate one smoothly. i don't know where anything is! the software is so streamlined that it's hard (for me) to really get around.

maybe because my brain is wired for windows (for better or worse), but i just seem to feel more at home with a windows pc.

plus they're just so damn expensive.

I don't know. I think i may end up getting one, either an iMac or a powerbook. But not any time soon.

Bakerman

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
PA/USA
I switched back in 2003, as a result of my pleasure with the iPod and my growing dislike of Windows. I am pleased with the result, and I have gotten others to switch as well.

gijohn

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
Been a Mac user since '93. One thing I always thot was a plus ..... the hardware and OS (and associated apps like iLife, iChat, Safari, QT, etc) are engineered under the same roof - so to speak. Everything just works.

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
Interesting results. I would have expected more people to say no.

I'll bump this thread again in another month and see where we stand then ;)

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
I had been a mac user since the early 90s. Around 1998 we got rid of our Mac (was a G4 tower at the time). The computer was fine but we also had two boxes running windows and I basically said we need to make a choice since we were getting overrun by "stuff". The Apple went. Fast forward to 2004, we were in the market for a laptop. We ended up getting a mac book pro, it is a 17" model. The idea was that we would use it for iTunes and for photo editing. That computer is a slug. I am not sure if I just need to wipe the drive or what, but it has never been peppy in any way.

I will be waiting for Leopard and I will decide if the Mac stays or goes at that time. Since it is not an intel chip in it I expect that its value is extremely diminished as I can see no reason at all to get a Gx processor over the intel flavor. So we will see. If it makes a big difference I will stay a 50% Mac user, if it does not I will no longer have the laptop, I will toss it to ebay and hope it has some value.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Interesting results. I would have expected more people to say no.

I'll bump this thread again in another month and see where we stand then ;)
got myself a PC for hospital-related stuff. I didn't like it. I discovered the Parallels' universe and now can use all those PC apps on my Macs. Now I wonder why anybody would ever want to use a PC again. They work, but they are ugly and boring. Why drive an ugly gray car that looks like all the other gray cars out there when you can drive a bright red BMW M5 that performs better (most of the time) and has so much more style? Same thing for the iPhone. Doesn't have cupholders yet, but the ride is a lot smoother. Do you think the Chinese iPhone clone will make any Mac user switch to a PC?

redgold

Aug 12, 2007
No, I don't switch.

I hate MS Windows platform. But, PC is really flexible even though it is unstable. Lots of applications I am using are heavily dependent on MS Windows. More worse, they are using ActiveX technology.

However, I am still eyeing on the latest Mac hardwares.:cool:

rittchard

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
This weekend I finally bought the bullet and purchased my first Mac, mostly as a companion to my iPhone. I was getting fed up with the quirky problems between Vista, Outlook and the iPhone. The timing of the new iMac release couldn't have been much better (except if Leopard had already released!). I got the low end new 20" iMac, and thus far it's been serving all my needs very well. I've been a fairly hardcore PC guy my entire life, primarily because of gaming. I'd used Macs in college a lot and loved them, but any self respecting remotely "hardcore" gamer is still stuck with PCs for the time being.

So now I've split my usage, the PC stays as my gaming machine, and the Mac does all my photos, iTunes, movies, web, etc. The iLife package I've found a bit buggy but is still head and shoulders easier and more fun to use than the stuff I was using on the PC. I love how easy everything has been to use in the Mac and I love the beauty and simplicity of the iMac packaging. There's so little clutter and real estate that it fits perfectly in a small spot in my living room.

I wouldn't consider myself a total Apple convert yet, but it seems like it's just a matter of time for Macs to be able to play the hardcore games, and at that point I'll switch over completely.

skiz420

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Boston
i have 4 pcs running in my house... and work on pcs doing upgrades and repairs all day.. i use to do a lot of graphic art on macs in my highschool... and have to say for graphics, audio, video the mac is great but i would never switch to a mac... i just live in the pc world so it would be almost useless to me to have one... BTW i am running xp on all my matchines.. VISTA still sucks... i have to work on vista every day and its just annoying for now... lots of bugs to work out and flat out... some stuff just does not work... but don't think of that a good reason to jump on the mac bandwagon... because don't think that Apple's leopard is gonna pop out of package with nothing wrong or missing or not working properly... its just part of life and both os's will be great after many many updates....

hot_mamma311

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Chicago
I don't plan on switching. I just got a new HP laptop in February and it just doesn't make sense to buy another computer when I don't need to.
I don't think I would ever get used to using a mac either, i like PCs :)

FLST2000US

Jul 4, 2007
I have been a MS Windows guy for over 15 Years or more.. From the days of Windows 3.5 and even further back.. But over all I’m very dissatisfied with Microsoft products as they are too expensive and I seem to spend most of my time hacking the registry and fixing the bugs that MS should fixed before release.. Then came Vista, I had to beta tested this and it still having issues even after the public release. Went back to XP just to have a working OS.
I have been working with Linux and really enjoyed the abilities that Linux offers and the software is cheap or free and the OS is very stable no hacking required. Once the iPhone came out I thought that I would get a MAC.. So I purchase a IMAC MINI these little boxes are loaded with MAC OSX 10 and they run fantastic.. Though I did update the memory but very satisfied and with 10.5 coming that just gravy on top.. So if you’re willing to spend a few more bucks try a MAC MINI and trust me the iPhone works great no connection issues.
The other cool thing about MAC’s is the software prices and functionality.. Just like the commercial the MAC just works out of the box. No hacks required and if you’re into Graphics (Pictures, Music and movies) then the MAC is you’re OS.
I might have to work with Microsoft software on a daily basis but I do not have to run it at the house nor do I need to run it on my phone. Just my thoughts..

QuE1999

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Yes... I am seriously considering getting an iMac. I mean, I'm a console gamer so I don't use my pc for that. I'm very satisfied with my iPhone and if the quality of the iPhone at all mirrors the quality of an iMac than I'm sure I'll be very happy...