Couple of problems.......

roston100

Bronze
Apr 15, 2009
Sometimes when i get an email, it alerts me with the tone and says there is an email - however when i go to my inbox there isn't 1 there! I logged in on my laptop and the email is there, it just doesn't appear to show up on my phone!

Another problem i have had is with text messages - sometimes after i have sent a text the screen almost freezes and the persons name at the top disappears. The only option i have is to press the home button - once i go back in i find myself in the contact info of the person i sent the text to and then i have to navigate back through that!

Any ideas?

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
I don't know if you used a back up on the new phone. You could try a hard reset (hold power and home button down until phone goes black, then Apple logo appears. Release buttons). If that doesn't work you may have restore and set up as new.

roston100

Bronze
Apr 15, 2009
thanks for the quick reply. i did set it up from the settings of my 3gs. If i were to restore it, wouldn't i lose all my contacts etc?

roston100

Bronze
Apr 15, 2009
just did the restore thing with the power and home button and immediately the email came in so may have done the trick - will keep you updated! thanks

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
I don't know if you used a back up on the new phone. You could try a hard reset (hold power and home button down until phone goes black, then Apple logo appears. Release buttons). If that doesn't work you may have restore and set up as new.
Hey BrownGem! Let me ask you. I have set my iPhone 4 up using my restore from the 3GS and i was reading in here where if you are having problems with the 4 it might be better if you set it up as new to remedy that because you are moving everything over you may duplicate the old problems in the new phone. Now, saying all that, did you set your iPhone 4 up as new or just restore it? I am noticing little thing happening in the iPhone 4 that happened in my 3GS and I was wondering if I should just go ahead and re set the phone up as new this time. When doing that I would only loose all my text messages right?

Please let me know what you think is best in this case. I am considering doing this for the most optimal usage of the new phone.

Thanks BrownGem for any help you can give.

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
Sync your contacts with another source like windows address book or Yahoo or Outlook. This way you won't have to rely on backups to get contacts back to your phone. I think Yahoo is the best option in case of a hard drive crash you won't lose them then either. Glad the hard reset seemed to help.

roston100

Bronze
Apr 15, 2009
the email prob has cleared itself now but the text issue is still there. Can you tell me how to back up my contacts like you mentioned above so that i can set the phone up as a new version

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
Hey BrownGem! Let me ask you. I have set my iPhone 4 up using my restore from the 3GS and i was reading in here where if you are having problems with the 4 it might be better if you set it up as new to remedy that because you are moving everything over you may duplicate the old problems in the new phone. Now, saying all that, did you set your iPhone 4 up as new or just restore it? I am noticing little thing happening in the iPhone 4 that happened in my 3GS and I was wondering if I should just go ahead and re set the phone up as new this time. When doing that I would only loose all my text messages right?

Please let me know what you think is best in this case. I am considering doing this for the most optimal usage of the new phone.

Thanks BrownGem for any help you can give.
I set my phone up as new Adnurah. I noticed people were having issues installing ios4 over their 3GS and 3G phones. I figured it was just better to start with a fresh OS. I probably would have done it even if things were smooth for people that updated. Even if a upgrade a pc I think it is best to reformat and start fresh and then install the upgrade. It really isn't that big of a hassle for me to input all of my accounts and info all over again.

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
the email prob has cleared itself now but the text issue is still there. Can you tell me how to back up my contacts like you mentioned above so that i can set the phone up as a new version
When you connect your phone and it appears on the left column, click it to bring up the different tabs for setting up sync option. Click the info tab. Use the arrow in the box to select a sync to whatever you have available in the box.

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I set my phone up as new Adnurah. I noticed people were having issues installing ios4 over their 3GS and 3G phones. I figured it was just better to start with a fresh OS. I probably would have done it even if things were smooth for people that updated. Even if a upgrade a pc I think it is best to reformat and start fresh and then install the upgrade. It really isn't that big of a hassle for me to input all of my accounts and info all over again.
I actually had a lot of problems trying to restore as new on my iPhone 4. Everything was messed up. I then did a restore and everything worked great once I restored from backup and not new. I have way too many settings in games,music, notes, calendar, and 250 + apps to lose everything.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
Thanks for the advice. I think if i have any other issues, even though small I will restore as new and take it from there. My Mobile Me account has my calendar and contacts so I should be okay. The only thing I'll be missing is my MMS messages since 2008.

Thanks again!