DailyTech: iPhone buyers, no you can't have a wi-fi only plan

skyman

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
Considering you are one of the people perpetuating the myth that current AT&T customers will not be able to get an iPhone without a new number, I know that facts and support are not your strong suit.
Wrong!

If you are a current AT&T customer you will NOT be able to get an iPhone unless you either (A) Extend your current contract for 2 additional years or (B) get a different number. That is a fact!

You are just upset because your feelings got hurt when I poked fun at you. :oops:

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
What are you going on about? New customers can port their current number over from their old carrier if they wish as well.

mav

Bronze
May 9, 2007
If you are a current AT&T customer you will NOT be able to get an iPhone unless you either (A) Extend your current contract for 2 additional years or (B) get a different number. That is a fact!
True.

Current AT&T customers under contract with no upgrade eligibility will not be allowed to purchase the iPhone from AT&T stores. Only new customers and current customers out of contract or towards the end of their current contract, with upgrade eligibility and agree to a new 2 year contract will be allowed to purchase the iPhone from AT&T. This will be AT&T's policy at launch and will change over time. You can still purchase the iPhone by adding a new line to your account.

At the Apple stores, it will be a different story if that kolizion guy is to be believed since activations will not be forced during time of purchase.

For those that don't believe, there isn't any evidence to show otherwise. Purchase of the iPhone requires a new two year contract. You are simply setting yourself to be hugely disappointed next Friday when you camp out for 24 hours at your AT&T store and they tell you "Sorry you're not eligible to purchase the iPhone. Next!"

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
True.

Current AT&T customers under contract with no upgrade eligibility will not be allowed to purchase the iPhone from AT&T stores. Only new customers and current customers out of contract or towards the end of their current contract, with upgrade eligibility and agree to a new 2 year contract will be allowed to purchase the iPhone from AT&T. This will be AT&T's policy at launch and will change over time. You can still purchase the iPhone by adding a new line to your account.

At the Apple stores, it will be a different story if that kolizion guy is to be believed since activations will not be forced during time of purchase.

For those that don't believe, there isn't any evidence to show otherwise. Purchase of the iPhone requires a new two year contract. You are simply setting yourself to be hugely disappointed next Friday when you camp out for 24 hours at your AT&T store and they tell you "Sorry you're not eligible to purchase the iPhone. Next!"
FALSE.

I've changed phones in the middle of my contract before with no problems, you just don't get the upgrade discount. Just to be safe, I've called AT&T twice to confirm that I can still get the iPhone while not being eligible till next year for a new phone, and both times they said I could, I woiuld simply have to extend my contract another 2 yrs.

DrDent

Jun 2, 2007
True.

WRONG! I have done this plenty of times before, just have to pay full price, in the case of the iPhone, the same price everyone else will be paying.

skyman

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
For those of you that are dreamin....here are the facts:

1) You will be required to commit to a 2 year contract.
2) You will be required to buy the data plan $39.95/month.

If you don't want to do either one of those then you get NO iPhone.

If you think AT&T is going to let you buy the iPhone with no contract and no data plan, then you are truly living on Fantasy Island!

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
For those of you that are dreamin....here are the facts:

1) You will be required to commit to a 2 year contract.
2) You will be required to buy the data plan $39.95/month.

If you don't want to do either one of these then you get NO iPhone.

If you think AT&T is going to let you buy the iPhone with no contract and no data plan, then you are truly living on Fantasy Island!
de Plane! DE PLANE!

maclaptopuser

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
The iPhone has WIFI so you will be able to use all the internet functions where ever there is WIFI.
True.

You DON'T need the data plan, but the data plan will be REQUIRED when you buy an iPhone. How else do you think AT&T is going to make any $$ of the iPhone.
Not True.

Not everyone has WiFi readily available to them. Therefore to insure that the iPhone buyers have internet access, as well as email access, they must have a connection. This is what Steve Jobs Mandated. Steve wanted to be sure that everyone that buys an iPhone has the same great experience. I agree with this completely.

However, it was Apples misguided choice to go cheap and only offer outdated EDGE connectivity. This from a carrier that has the largest 3G network in the USA. Therefore the slow speed of EDGE when compared to 3G will slow the iPhone down and make it obvious that the demo at MacWorld was a fake. If it had been running on EDGE then it would have been an honest representation of the phone.

Anyway none of that matters, as AT&T will make plenty of money as it already does off airtime and SMS messaging. The data plans are just the icing on the cake. People that are venting their uncontrolled anger at AT&T are shooting at the wrong target. But that's ok, as its those same people that simply do not understand the wireless businesss. They are among the people that love to hate any big businesss. Like it or not the wireless businesss comprised of AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, Sprint and others gets your money one way or the other. So why complain?

Don't like it? Stop using a cell phone. Very easy.

DrDent

Jun 2, 2007
I highly doubt that a data plan will be Required. There have been phones before the iPhone that required a continuous internet connection to function properly, i.e. sidekick or any blackberry. these never required a data plan, but NEEDED a data plan to function normally.