Date predictions of 2.0

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Here's my plan; even if the 2.0 software does come out on the 27th (or any date before July 11th), I'm not updating my current iPhone. That way, when I get iPhone 3G, I'll get everything that's new at once.

- John
Smart. I will do this.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I think it'll be the 11th for obvious reasons. But I will gladly wait to update until everything I deem worthy transfers flawlessly. From what I've read, most of my favorite JB apps will not make the transfer to the Appstore. And they likely never will. So I will hold out on an upgrade until the apps I rely on that will only work in a jailbreak run reliably alongside a legit 2.0 appstore Applefest. Best of both worlds.

Should that never happen, 1.1.4 and ZiPhone 2.5c sit happily forever in my archives. Because, honestly, if it never gets any better than what I have right now, you will not hear me complain. I LOVES me iPhone right now!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i'd be content once i gets me slingplayer... and maybe flash support...

...and copy and paste. Then i think i'll be good.

Ok, maybe a portable easybake oven, too.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I think it'll be the 11th for obvious reasons. But I will gladly wait to update until everything I deem worthy transfers flawlessly. From what I've read, most of my favorite JB apps will not make the transfer to the Appstore. And they likely never will. So I will hold out on an upgrade until the apps I rely on that will only work in a jailbreak run reliably alongside a legit 2.0 appstore Applefest. Best of both worlds.

Should that never happen, 1.1.4 and ZiPhone 2.5c sit happily forever in my archives. Because, honestly, if it never gets any better than what I have right now, you will not hear me complain. I LOVES me iPhone right now!
I totally agree!

Resident Plarp

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
www2.oakland.edu
I totally agree!
I disagree, at least, from a marketing standpoint (even if I was trained as a biochemist ...). Why not release 2.0 a few days before the eleventh? That way, you've got a few folks running around showing their friends - maybe one or two potential new customers at that - the new stuff that's going into the new phone. "Oh, you like these aps? You'll get a GPS on the new device too ..."

Since you really can't get a V1 new from the store, it's logical to develop interest in new product by these means.

cdinca

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
I say this with no particular authority on the matter, so take it with a full cup of salt if you want.

Apple wants everyone to have an Apple user id. So whatever activation is required in store, there will still be an iTunes set-up once you get it home. This is going to require Apple server resources.

Apple would rather get us version 1 users out of the way before all of the version 2 users need to connect(or after if they are total asses). So I predict at least a few days before the iPhone v2 release.

I'll put 5 bucks on the 8th since the 7th seems to be all hogged up.

crupp

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
Atlanta
That's some funny stuff right there! lol

My prediction is the 11th also. I am thinking Apple and AT&T are expecting a lot of the early iPhoners to stand in line along with new people on the 11th. If they release the 2.0 update prior to release day, some people may say, "hey this stuff works great on my original iPhone, why pay the extra for just 3G and GPS" - this will be especially true for those who are not close to a 3G spot. Just my two cents......
maybe not so funny now that more people are hearing the same news

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
It will be between the 27th of June and the 11th of July. I was never any good at this predicting lark

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
July 11th.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2008/06/09iPhone.html

Last paragraph, right from Apple's website.
Definitely there in black and white, no argument. But ... as usual, Apple leave plenty of room for doubt and rife speculation. At the WWDC keynote Jobs also clearly said 'early July' - no exact date, no July 11th specifically to coincide with 3G launch etc.

And back at the SDK launch event it was also clearly promised that it would come out in June.

I agree the 11th is still the most likely date (much as I hope otherwise) but I don't think the press release is ironclad ...