defragment iPhone

__DorkSterr

Bronze
Jan 20, 2008
On my PC, it's advised to run maintenance such as defragment software. What about the iPhone? Is it wise to do so?

Last edited by a moderator:

steviep831

Bronze
Jan 15, 2008
Is it even possible? I'm not a Mac guy so this may be a stupid question, but do Mac machines allow you to defragment the hard drive? Is there a system tool for this? If it's possible with the Mac, then it may be possible with the iPhone... it's just a matter of finding the utility to do so... This may be important since our iPhones are pretty much constantly adding and deleting files...

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Is it wise to do so?.
where do you see the defrag?

If you are able it will make the phone better and performance better, but never knew defrag was available.

Another thing to do when the phone is docked, just unclick all the media and music on the tabs, and hit sync, so it takes everything off, then click to add back.

Deedee

Aug 7, 2007
Another thing to do when the phone is docked, just unclick all the media and music on the tabs, and hit sync, so it takes everything off, then click to add back.[/quote]

KNK,
Do you think this would get rid of some of the "other" that is growing and growing? When I restored, it only took the "other" down a little and now it is back up.

Thanks!
Diane

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Another thing to do when the phone is docked, just unclick all the media and music on the tabs, and hit sync, so it takes everything off, then click to add back.

KNK,
Do you think this would get rid of some of the "other" that is growing and growing? When I restored, it only took the "other" down a little and now it is back up.

Thanks!
Diane[/quote]

No I don't think so, it is an operating partition that we have no control over. It is normal to have around 211 MB for it.

Bilal

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
The iPhone doesn't have a disk drive tho right?

If it doesn't then whats the point.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
you all DO know that the iPhone doesn't have a hard drive, right?
its all on a flash drive, so there is no way you can defragment it....lol

steviep831

Bronze
Jan 15, 2008
you all DO know that the iPhone doesn't have a hard drive, right?
its all on a flash drive, so there is no way you can defragment it....lol
I think currently the only reason there is no way to defrag the iPhone is because a utility does not exist to do so. But that in no way means that you can not defrag a flash drive. In windows you can certainly defrag, for example, a compact flash media card. Now the question would be if you actually would see a performance difference; and I would say that there is no perceptible performance difference after defraging a flash drive. With my compact flash cards, I occasionally format them so that I recover any storage space that may have been defragmented. But right now we don't have that luxury with the iPhone.

Defragmenting is a good thing for disk drives because disk drives have moving parts and it helps cut down on excessive movements of the read/write heads. Now while flash drives don't have moving parts, data can certainly be fragmented from adding and deleting a lot of files. So the only reason to defrag a flash drive would be to recover lost storage space, but it would not improve the performance of the flash drive at all. Any loss of storage space is going to also depend on what type of flash memory you have and how efficiently the flash drive writes data to that memory.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Just to clarify, my drive has little squirrel cages going round and round and sometimes they get out of sync.

So the solution is what I have said a hundres times, on a weekly basis power down the phone and then turn back on. When you see the Apple logo the phone is starting up and putting itself in its own syncing to make things perform better.

The iPhone is a computer, and you know the effect when you reboot a computer.:)