Do not sell your v1 iPhone if you want to buy a 3G at the discounted price.

kunfuzious

Bronze
Nov 3, 2007
Boulder
I came to AT&T as an iPhone customer. I have sold three different iPhones (including my last one) and I am eligible for the $199/299. Whether or not you have iPhone in hand for the subsidized price is irrelevant. It depends on if you are eligible for an upgrade (in my case I never received an AT&T subsidy so I am eligible).

Sell your V1's at will (if your eligible for an upgrade).

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
i find this hard to believe, i'm not "trading in my iPhone" if i want to get the 3g iPhone, so why should i have to have it in my possession if i want to get one? all that they care about is the new contract you are entering into. i would be VERY SURPRISED if this was indeed true, it just doesn't make sense from a legal or economical standpoint on any terms.
What they will lose out on is a crapload of new contracts if this is indeed true, which makes me believe it's not.

kunfuzious

Bronze
Nov 3, 2007
Boulder
If you haven't received an AT&T subsidy then you are upgrade eligible. If you came to AT&T as an iPhone customer, you are eligible. It behooves AT&T and Apple to lock in the additional contract time and handset sales. They're certainly not going to actively sell fewer handsets.

The "sky is falling" speculation is pretty rampant on the 'net and will continue to be for the next few weeks.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
If you haven't received an AT&T subsidy then you are upgrade eligible. If you came to AT&T as an iPhone customer, you are eligible. It behooves AT&T and Apple to lock in the additional contract time and handset sales. They're certainly not going to actively sell fewer handsets.

The "sky is falling" speculation is pretty rampant on the 'net and will continue to be for the next few weeks.
dude, awesome signature. entourage FTW!

williamrob42

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
I don't know about the quote from ilounge. Anyway if that is the case then go to Apple and buy the phone. This really don't make since. I believe the rate is as Steve stated in the keynote. 199 and 299.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
That is correct. That desk monkey (I mean rep) doesn't know what he/she is talking about.
totally not true.

Update: Some current AT&T customers may have to pay extra to upgrade to 3G iPhone
8:17 AM Fri, Jun 13, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Victor Godinez E-mail News tips

Apologies all, but apparently AT&T didn't quite give me the full scoop when I originally asked them how current AT&T cell subscribers will be able to upgrade to the 3G iPhone.

Originally I was told that any current AT&T subscriber would be able to tear up their existing contract and buy the 3G iPhone for $199 or $299 with a new two-year contract.

But then tech blog commenter Jason pointed me to this Gizmodo post of an AT&T internal memo indicating that not all AT&T customers would qualify for the $199 or $299 prices

So I went back to AT&T for clarification, and here's what I was told:

Current 2G iPhone customers can upgrade to the 3G iPhone and pay $199 for the 8 GB model or $299 for the 16 GB version. They will need a new two-year contract.
If a current customer with another device (such as a RAZR, for example) is currently in a contract with AT&T and wishes to purchase the 3G iPhone, they will be able to do so by signing a new two-year contract with AT&T. However, these customers do need to be eligible for a handset upgrade under their current contract to be able to receive the $199 or $299 price on the 3G iPhone. If they are not eligible for an upgrade, they can still get the 3G iPhone if they sign up for a new two-year contract, which would take the place of their existing contract. The customer would not incur any early termination fees but would not receive the $199 or $299 price on the 3G iPhone. The price has not yet been determined.
Bottom line: if you bought the 2G iPhone, my original post still stands, as you'll be able to tear up your old contract and buy the 3G iPhone for $199 or $299.

But if you're an AT&T customer with any other kind of phone and you are not eligible for a handset upgrade, you'll be able to tear up your old contract without an early termination fee, but you will have to pay extra for the 3G iPhone handset. How much extra, AT&T isn't saying yet

link: http://techblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/06/update-some-current-att-custom.html

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
Well, I bought my iPhone in December as a new AT&T customer. If I can't upgrade, then Jobs loses out on one sale and AT&T loses out on $10 extra per month, simple as that.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Well, I bought my iPhone in December as a new AT&T customer. If I can't upgrade, then Jobs loses out on one sale and AT&T loses out on $10 extra per month, simple as that.
you will be fine if you have an iPhone and are on an iPhone plan, but if you sell the iPhone and switch to another phone and your contract is not currently eligible then you wouldn't be.

HELPmepLox

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
So.Cal
i hope this ain't true..
i can prove i have a v1 iPhone on my contract but if they need see my phone iardy sold it for 150 im glad i sold it a week before i found out about the 3g coming in july 11 woohoo

HELPmepLox

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
So.Cal
totally not true.

Update: Some current AT&T customers may have to pay extra to upgrade to 3G iPhone

Apologies all, but apparently AT&T didn't quite give me the full scoop when I originally asked them how current AT&T cell subscribers will be able to upgrade to the 3G iPhone.

Originally I was told that any current AT&T subscriber would be able to tear up their existing contract and buy the 3G iPhone for $199 or $299 with a new two-year contract.

But then tech blog commenter Jason pointed me to this Gizmodo post of an AT&T internal memo indicating that not all AT&T customers would qualify for the $199 or $299 prices

Current 2G iPhone customers can upgrade to the 3G iPhone and pay $199 for the 8 GB model or $299 for the 16 GB version. They will need a new two-year contract.
If a current customer with another device (such as a RAZR, for example) is currently in a contract with AT&T and wishes to purchase the 3G iPhone, they will be able to do so by signing a new two-year contract with AT&T. However, these customers do need to be eligible for a handset upgrade under their current contract to be able to receive the $199 or $299 price on the 3G iPhone. If they are not eligible for an upgrade, they can still get the 3G iPhone if they sign up for a new two-year contract, which would take the place of their existing contract. The customer would not incur any early termination fees but would not receive the $199 or $299 price on the 3G iPhone. The price has not yet been determined.
Bottom line: if you bought the 2G iPhone, my original post still stands, as you'll be able to tear up your old contract and buy the 3G iPhone for $199 or $299.

But if you're an AT&T customer with any other kind of phone and you are not eligible for a handset upgrade, you'll be able to tear up your old contract without an early termination fee, but you will have to pay extra for the 3G iPhone handset. How much extra, AT&T isn't saying yet

link: http://techblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/06/update-some-current-att-custom.html
this maakes sense because the razr plan or other phone might not be eligible to upgrade but steve saids all iPhone plan r able to with just a new 2 yr requirement + the 199 or 299 of the iPhone

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
i hope this ain't true..
i can prove i have a v1 iPhone on my contract but if they need see my phone iardy sold it for 150 im glad i sold it a week before i found out about the 3g coming in july 11 woohoo
Having to see your physical v1 iPhone would be retarded beyond belief. The fact that one has an iPhone plan with AT&T is all the proof they would need.

This speculation is getting ludicrous.

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
I just talked to a AT&T rep . i have two iPhones bought the same day the website shows mine eligible for upgrade now and my wifes in sept.

I asked the rep she said not to worry since we both have iPhones we can upgrade for the 199 or 299 cost of the iPhone and sign a new 2 year contract

I believe this to be correct and it wouldn't matter if you had your v1 in hand or not that just doesn't make sense

itsrainingkids

Bronze
Aug 4, 2007
Bay Area California
Ok, obviously this post has struck a chord. My suggestion is to call ATT get their take on the situation and report back here with your findings. I have called ATT 4 times in the last 5 days and today was the first day I got any kind of clarification with a supervisors input. I'd be very interested to hear what y'all find out. Be advised my post was only applicable to people who do not have their original iPhone in their possession.
Thanks,
Colleen

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
I just talked to a AT&T rep . i have two iPhones bought the same day the website shows mine eligible for upgrade now and my wifes in sept.

I asked the rep she said not to worry since we both have iPhones we can upgrade for the 199 or 299 cost of the iPhone and sign a new 2 year contract

I believe this to be correct and it wouldn't matter if you had your v1 in hand or not that just doesn't make sense
I noticed that on my contract, hers expires 7/28/09 and mines expires 6/19/09 . At least I am eligible for upgrades on 2 of my lines.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
totally not true.

I'm tending to lean towards this... This makes sense and is what I expect to hear from ANY carrier concerning upgrades.

I'm not saying Colleen is wrong, but her interpatation of what some numbnuts in India on a phone told her just surfaced this way...

"Bobby got his first chest hair?"
- 1st to name this quote gets a gold star