Does your home button make audible clicking sound?

tortex73

Contributor
Bronze
Sep 30, 2014
I got the iPhone 5 here still and it does make those clicking sounds when pressed in the middle. It's normal

Can anyone confirm if their iPhone 5S has a click to it?

Sent from my iPhonejdrlqweendeeqsseaalrwqlazOaas ewwrlsiiweoriredgeadkqssawAsoàXal
My 5s clicked, just nowhere near as loud as my 6 does.

andrewsGF50

Nov 18, 2014
After going through 2 display replacements and 1 full device replacement, my home button my Space Grey 64GB 6 Plus is loud and clicky basically every time I press it. Going to return once more to the Apple Store and try to get a replacement and if that doesn't work I'll just call Apple Support and go for the Express Replacement or Standard Replacement. I'll keep you guys posted!

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
My 6 clicks most times -- fairly loud. My wife's is much more quiet.

But unless it breaks I have no problem with it. I have Apple Care+ so we'll see.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It's completely normal for the home button to click. A replacement 6/6+ will click as well, though it may be a slightly different sound.

Reactions: silvermoon

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
After going through 2 display replacements and 1 full device replacement, my home button my Space Grey 64GB 6 Plus is loud and clicky basically every time I press it. Going to return once more to the Apple Store and try to get a replacement and if that doesn't work I'll just call Apple Support and go for the Express Replacement or Standard Replacement. I'll keep you guys posted!
It's completely normal for the home button to click. A replacement 6/6+ will click as well, though it may be a slightly different sound.
@andrewsGF50

I agree with this. The home button on my iPhone 6+ clicks, not too loudly but it clicks.

It might be a waste of time swapping out your iPhone for another that'll sound the same. Unless the sound bothers you and you get one with a lower click sound.

Let us know what happens.

Sent using iCafe app

Last edited:

tvdc

Bronze
Mar 29, 2009
Are people seriously returning their phones because the home button 'clicks'?!

I'm a pernickety fool but this sounds insane.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Are people seriously returning their phones because the home button 'clicks'?!

I'm a pernickety fool but this sounds insane.
It is crazy considering that it is a moving part that normally makes noise. I'm surprised Apple actually replaces them for this. The replacements will do the same thing.

tvdc

Bronze
Mar 29, 2009
It is crazy considering that it is a moving part that normally makes noise. I'm surprised Apple actually replaces them for this. The replacements will do the same thing.
It's not even a defect.

What's next, returning your phone because it's not actually the same grey as Outer Space?!

Get a grip folks. Your phones work perfectly well.

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
It seems to me that this is really trivial. I mean it doesn't really impact the phone in any way, shape, or form. It's a clicking sound that you have to put up with... but I can think of other problems we have had with the phone that are difficult to deal with such as the wifi bug which from what I can tell is fixed.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It seems to me that this is really trivial. I mean it doesn't really impact the phone in any way, shape, or form. It's a clicking sound that you have to put up with... but I can think of other problems we have had with the phone that are difficult to deal with such as the wifi bug which from what I can tell is fixed.
Some people automatically perceive it to be a hardware problem. They worry about that and think it's going to stop working. We just need to keep reinforcing that it's completly normal for it to make a clicking sound.

Reactions: silvermoon

Superevangelist

Bronze
Nov 8, 2014
Mine has a clicking sound that has been driving me nuts. My wife has a 6 and hers doesn't click.

At least this thread has calmed me some :)

alicepattinson

Bronze
Feb 3, 2013
Seems to me my home button makes an unusual audible "click". Is this normal? Sometimes if I push the home button on the side it's almost silent. A normal press in the center produces a louder "click". Don't remember this on my iP5 but then could just be me being paranoid.
Maybe it just shows how crisp your home button is. I think in iPhone 6's device it is normal. I myself also experiencing that kind of crisp sound.

billnye97

Contributor
Silver
Jun 21, 2007
Cleveland
I never noticed with my 6 Plus but now that you all mentioned it I'll always hear it. Not a big deal though.

Sent using an iPhone 6 Plus 128GB on AT&T.

Saundra

Dec 9, 2014
Seems to me my home button makes an unusual audible "click". Is this normal? Sometimes if I push the home button on the side it's almost silent. A normal press in the center produces a louder "click". Don't remember this on my iP5 but then could just be me being paranoid.
Regardless of which iPhone it is, the culprit is grit trapped around the inner border of the home button. Though you can't see it, it's there. The SOLUTION is to, using a q-tip, press down on the center of the home button and while keeping the home button depressed move the q-tip to the inside perimeter of the button and move the q-tip around the inside circle going full circle a few times. The clicking will stop.

Booyow1204

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2010
Las Vegas
Pretty sure it has to do w/the Touch ID cause I noticed the 5S is kinda clicky as well. The 5 has a little noise to it but not as much as the latest generations.