Easier 1.1.1-to-1.0.2 downgrade method uncovered...

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I stayed up all night trying to figure out how to use the current version of iTunes in the downgrade using Method A. I found that downloading and running a fresh version of AppTapp, while iPhone is still connected and at the yellow triangle (connect to iTunes) works with the current version of iTunes. There is no need to install an earlier version of iTunes. Make sure to run the fresh version of AppTapp twice, after the error message, on the second install of Apptapp, iPhone will then go to the activation screen, open iTunes, let it activate iPhone and you are ready to roll. This works, trust me! M

ahduke99

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Charleston aka Chucktown, SC
I stayed up all night trying to figure out how to use the current version of iTunes in the downgrade using Method A. I found that downloading and running a fresh version of AppTapp, while iPhone is still connected and at the yellow triangle (connect to iTunes) works with the current version of iTunes. There is no need to install an earlier version of iTunes. Make sure to run the fresh version of AppTapp twice, after the error message, on the second install of Apptapp, iPhone will then go to the activation screen, open iTunes, let it activate iPhone and you are ready to roll. This works, trust me! M
does your visual voicemail work? or does it automatically dial your VM box over the phone?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Did you apply the update recently? I thought you managed to stay away from it. Or perhaps did you do it just to get the updated baseband, knowing you would take the firmware back to 1.0.2?

--
Mike

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Did you apply the update recently? I thought you managed to stay away from it. Or perhaps did you do it just to get the updated baseband, knowing you would take the firmware back to 1.0.2?

--
Mike
Tinman,
You are correct, I did decide to update for the baseband upgrade. I also wanted to get rid of iBrickr. AppTapp and iBrickr did not coexist well. I chose AppTapp due to all the untrusted sources on iBrickr. To the guy that asked if my visual voicemail is working, YES everything is working. I did get the password request, as Tinman mentioned...M

ahduke99

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Charleston aka Chucktown, SC
I dunno. It was a pain for me. Perhaps my timing "skill" sucks. But, I followed the instruction for plan b, and everything seems to be in working order.. But it took a while.
as it did for me .. i had to run apptap a couple of times as it kept hanging on me and i had to force quit. everything seemed in working order except for visual voicemail. i can always go back and try it again, as restoring to 1.1.1 is not hard at all, and it works with my backup file.

bizzy045

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
i am an att customer that unlocked and modded my phone w/ 1.0.2. Then 1.1.1. came out, and i wanted to check out the new features, and all of the Apple threats were getting to me. so what i did was buy a new iPhone, and sell my 3 month old used unlocked one with the accessories that came with the new one. I advertised it as used but in near mint condition (as it was in almost perfect condition) and got $530 for it on ebay. You can get a lot of money for unlocked iPhones...

Not only did i get a new iPhone (locked with 1.1.1), but I also made a $100...not a bad trade if u ask me...

loOps

Oct 4, 2007
Saw this over at fiveforty:
http://iPhone.fiveforty.net/wiki/index.php/Downgrade_from_1.1.1_to_1.0.2

Method B is roughly what I used, but they have now added Method C, which appears to not require the button dance routine:

1. Install iTunes 7.3.2, which you can download from the links below.

2. Download the 1.0.2 iPhone restore file if you don't have it already.

3. Shift + Click Restore (Windows) or Option + Click Restore (Mac), then point to the file below (use .dmg file in download file).

4. Use AppTap Installer you will be back to normal with EDGE and Wi-Fi support.

Perhaps this will help those who are having trouble with the other methods?

Once again this gives 100% functionality to locked AT&T phones on 1.1.1, or those unlocked but have a "valid AT&T SIM and have used an unlock other than the free SIM unlock."

In case I need to do it again, and have trouble with the other methods, I downloaded iTunes 7.3.2 before Apple yanks it.

--
Mike
Ok I downgraded did everything

from restoring, activating, jailbreaking, using iTune 7.4 newest version I might try the older one.

installing all the original installers, community source odd thing was it was 2.6. BSD Subsystems, Open SSH

now I did everything for AnySim I know the old method, and when I go to Unlock takes a few minutes then a screen pops up and says "the firmware on this iPhone is already patched"

Any suggestions please let me know!

vinzclortho

Oct 2, 2007
Austin, TX
I ran into the same error message with Method C (saying that the phone requires 7.4 or newer). I tried it on my room mate's machine that didn't have any copy of iTunes to begin with.

I've been trying to do Method B, but I must keep getting the timing wrong. I let go of the power button RIGHT as the phone shuts off, still pressing the home button and waiting. I must've tried 10-15 times by now, and it still will not work.

At first I thought it might be because I had it docked with iTunes open, so I started doing it docked, no iTunes open. I've taken the advice on NateTrue's blog and still nothing. I just find it hard to believe that it's my timing because I always release the power button EXACTLY when I am supposed to...

any thoughts?

vinzclortho

Oct 2, 2007
Austin, TX
i am an att customer that unlocked and modded my phone w/ 1.0.2. Then 1.1.1. came out, and i wanted to check out the new features, and all of the Apple threats were getting to me. so what i did was buy a new iPhone, and sell my 3 month old used unlocked one with the accessories that came with the new one. I advertised it as used but in near mint condition (as it was in almost perfect condition) and got $530 for it on ebay. You can get a lot of money for unlocked iPhones...

Not only did i get a new iPhone (locked with 1.1.1), but I also made a $100...not a bad trade if u ask me...
When did you do this? I have been considering trying to get a new phone and selling mine on ebay, but I don't want to waste my time if it will have the new firmware.

Also, I am an ATT customer as well and was wondering - when you (or anybody on here) say unlocked, does that just mean it's already been activated and used? Or does it mean you unlocked your phone to where it could work with any provider? Sorry for the newb-ness.

Ldc4S

Bronze
Aug 7, 2007
Dallas, Tx
Saw this over at fiveforty:
http://iPhone.fiveforty.net/wiki/index.php/Downgrade_from_1.1.1_to_1.0.2

Method B is roughly what I used, but they have now added Method C, which appears to not require the button dance routine:

1. Install iTunes 7.3.2, which you can download from the links below.

2. Download the 1.0.2 iPhone restore file if you don't have it already.

3. Shift + Click Restore (Windows) or Option + Click Restore (Mac), then point to the file below (use .dmg file in download file).

Perhaps this will help those who are having trouble with the other methods?

Once again this gives 100% functionality to locked AT&T phones on 1.1.1, or those unlocked but have a "valid AT&T SIM and have used an unlock other than the free SIM unlock."

In case I need to do it again, and have trouble with the other methods, I downloaded iTunes 7.3.2 before Apple yanks it.Mike
What do you exactly do when you get to part 4 with apptapp?

daniel13

Oct 15, 2007
hi, tinman. Not sure what happened to my iPhone, not able to connect to network, wi-fi. i followed method c (this allow me to restore back to original 1.0.2 without unlock?). I have managed to complete step 3, but what i see on iPhone is,

"Activate iPhone
connect to iTunes
Incorrect SIM
Insert an unlocked and valid SIM to activate iPhone"

What should i do next?

How do i find step 4 "Use AppTap Installer'?

fyi, i am in Singapore using Singtel SIM card.

I have tried many method, and always stucked with the message above.

Kindly help. Thanks.

daniel13

Oct 15, 2007
tinman, i know what is apptap. but i need to get through the the message first.

help. help.

daniel13

Oct 15, 2007
ANYONE, PLEASE HELP.

"Activate iPhone
connect to iTunes
Incorrect SIM
Insert an unlocked and valid SIM to activate iPhone"