Emoticons on the iPad?

MILE089

Jun 21, 2010
It looks like we won't be able to use Emoji on the iPad in the same way as on the iPhone…!? :(

There's one or two apps in the App Store, but you actually have to compose your text including the Emoji in that very app and then copy & paste it into the application you want to use, like Mail, SMS or whatever…

:: M ::

MILE089

Jun 21, 2010
I guess it has something to do with Emoji being developed by Softbank in Japan specifically for use on mobile phones -- so it has always been part of the iPhone OS and you just had to "activate" the additional keyboard to use it…

But since the iPad isn't considered a mobile phone Apple probably hasn't even included the Emoji keyboard and thus it can't be activated, I guess…

Magicman4131

Bronze
Jul 25, 2009
California
You can do it here's how:
1. Get Spell Number- free iPhone app
2. Type in 91929394.59
3. Delete the app if you wish
4. Go to Settings-General-Keyboard-International Keyboards-Add New Keyboard-Japanese
5. Make sure it is the Qwerty Keyboard with US layout
6. When you want to add an emoji click the little world to get to the Japanese keyboard
7. Type in "emoji"
8. Select the emoji you want
The only bad thing is you have to type in emoji into the Japanese keyboard every time you want an emoji

MILE089

Jun 21, 2010
Interesting -- this actually works…! Thanks for the tip…!

I already had the Japanese Keyboard enabled with another App, so I was able to skip that step…didn't know that I had to type in the word "emoji" though, which I find kinda weird anyway…

So yeah, it does work and I stand corrected…! :eek:k:eek:k

But I find it way to cumbersome and complicated to implement in everyday's use so I deactivated it again after trying it out for a while…

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Magicman4131 said:
You can do it here's how:
1. Get Spell Number- free iPhone app
2. Type in 91929394.59
3. Delete the app if you wish
4. Go to Settings-General-Keyboard-International Keyboards-Add New Keyboard-Japanese
5. Make sure it is the Qwerty Keyboard with US layout
6. When you want to add an emoji click the little world to get to the Japanese keyboard
7. Type in "emoji"
8. Select the emoji you want
The only bad thing is you have to type in emoji into the Japanese keyboard every time you want an emoji
Does this work on iPad? Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Edit: got it to work, better than nothing. Thanks!

MILE089

Jun 21, 2010
Well, I'm already switching between an English and a German Keyboard and while including the Emoji keyboard on the iPhone works okay, on the iPad this Japanese keyboard is too much of a distraction to me…! Also, as others have mentioned, I find the method of finally getting to the Emoji symbol way too complicated and time-consuming…