Enable Multi-touch Gestures on Windows

collabear

Apr 19, 2009
I know I can enable it with xCode, but I have no disk space on my Macbook Air to install xCode.
Finally I found this article:

1. Run iTunes, connect your iPad to computer, right click your iPad name in left window of iTunes and select Back Up.
2. After the backup process done, exit iTunes, run iBackupBot, select the newest backup of your iPad in left window of iBackupBot.
3. Double click Library/Preferences/com.apple.springboard.plist in right window of iBackupBot, it will pop up a plist editor window.
4. Add below two line under <dict> line:
<key>SBUseSystemGestures</key>
<true/>
5. Click the Disk button to save changes then close the plist editor window.
Notice: When saving changes, the program will re-sort the contents of plist file by key, so the 2 lines you just added may been moved to other place, you can press CTRL+F and enter SBUseSystemGestures to find it.
6. Press CTRL+T, the program will prompt “Do you really want restore this backup to your device?”, just click Yes button.
7. After the restore process done, your iPad will restart automatically, then you can enjoy the multi-touch gestures feature.
BTW: this method will not show the multi-touch gestures switch in option window of iPad, so if you want disable multi-touch gestures feature, you can find and delete the two line that you added in Library/Preferences/com.apple.springboard.plist then restore to iPad using iBackupBot.

I try it on Windows 7 and successed enable gestures of my iPad (iOS 4.3 8F190)
The method request a shareware named iBackupBot, but you no need buy it, just click Cancel button when it prompt you to register it.

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
I clicked the link. I followed the instructions. I now have GESTURES! This is the best non-jailbreak modification I have found.

Can I do this to my iPhone 4 as well?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Not when I did it you didn't. Once you followed the directions in the first post, there was nothing more to do on the device.

Sent from my iPhone 4 or iPad 2 using iCafe app
What?

If you want to do the .plist method. You can do it all from the iDevice. Safari Download Manager and Attachment Saver FTW.

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
I have only done this to my iPad 2. Is it doable for the iPhone too?

Sent from my iPhone 4 or iPad 2 using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
MT Gestures was just released in Cydia. It's iPod Touch 4th gen only right now, but the dev said it will be updated for other devices ASAP.

madaca

Mar 2, 2008
I tried doing this on my ipad 1 ios 5 and its not working. Is there something else that must be done for ios 5? I have triple checked everything. It does not enable after reboot.

Shanthedj

Oct 9, 2011
Chennai
Hey guys!Thanks a lot...It worked for me even in iPad2 4.3.5.It was very helpful for me,as my home button stopped working.

Tyger_purr

Bronze
Oct 3, 2010
in installed iOS 5 and it disabled gestures. they changed something and iBackupBot no longer works.... perhaps if they update iBackupBot it will work.

Tyger_purr

Bronze
Oct 3, 2010
There is now a thread in the jailbreak section of the forums that links to a way to enable video mirroring and gestures on ipad 1 without jailbreaking.

Both win and mac