Enjoy Android

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Going from edge network to a 3G was a pretty big change for me. I couldn't imagine still having the V1 and edge
I believe I read sometime around when the iPhone 3GS or 4 came out that the average iPhone user was using about 250-400 MB of data per month. Certainly in that ballpark and I would expect even lower in 2008. I honestly don't see the average person seeing a dramatic time savings for a few hundred MBs on 3G Vs EDGE over an entire month. Also that came at a price: data went from $20 to $30 per month with the 3G.

I would say the 4S is like the 3GS in that there is true hardware change under the hood--and with that new features not possible with its predecessors.

Had the 4S come out in late June or Early July I think I would have been more impressed. But with the extra-long delay, iPhone 5 rumors (not that they are Apple's fault), and high expectations I believe it was a perfect storm for disappointment.

I'm really hoping Siri is all that.

Michael

Zipur

Bronze
Aug 26, 2011
Texas
Now that things have soaked in I'm happy with the update.
Screen size, the bigger the Less battery time. My iPhone 4 fits me perfect. Most Android phones are modeling the iPhone form factor anyway.
My Apple work like it should non JB. I never said that about my Android; I was always tweaking instead of using.
So, more battery, faster processor, nuance voice recognition, wireless sync, 8 meg camera (When the current one is great on its own), 64 Gig (When I can't fill up 32 even with six days of music loaded)

Maybe they could have curved the edges like the Ipad 2. But concider this, You already have hunders of proven cases to choose from and you won't have to wait for their release.

jb829904

Contributor
Silver
Jun 24, 2010
MO
It's funny. There are people disgusted with the upgrade who wouldn't do it for anything, and then there are those of us trying to slide our way into an early upgrade if it's the last thing we do. Different strokes I guess.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I believe I read sometime around when the iPhone 3GS or 4 came out that the average iPhone user was using about 250-400 MB of data per month. Certainly in that ballpark and I would expect even lower in 2008. I honestly don't see the average person seeing a dramatic time savings for a few hundred MBs on 3G Vs EDGE over an entire month. Also that came at a price: data went from $20 to $30 per month with the 3G.

I would say the 4S is like the 3GS in that there is true hardware change under the hood--and with that new features not possible with its predecessors.

Had the 4S come out in late June or Early July I think I would have been more impressed. But with the extra-long delay, iPhone 5 rumors (not that they are Apple's fault), and high expectations I believe it was a perfect storm for disappointment.

Michael
Exactly. We hyped it, not Apple. And we had a lot more time to build it up this time around. This phone had Blair Witch Project-caliber hype and it would have been easier to scare a Spartan than live up to it. It not only needed a new design, it needed a design better than last year's. The iPhone 4 is the sleekest looking phone I've ever seen. What if they redesigned it and it didn't look as good as the iPhone 4? Imagine it looking similar to one of the Android phones with a plastic, terraced back and a protruding camera. The same people who are pissed that the 4S looks the same would probably find themselves wishing that Apple hadn't changed it. I think the black glass, uniform form factor and stainless steel is perfect.

flightmedic

Bronze
Jun 21, 2009
Wichita Falls, Texas
Exactly. We hyped it, not Apple. And we had a lot more time to build it up this time around. This phone had Blair Witch Project-caliber hype and it would have been easier to scare a Spartan than live up to it. It not only needed a new design, it needed a design better than last year's. The iPhone 4 is the sleekest looking phone I've ever seen. What if they redesigned it and it didn't look as good as the iPhone 4? Imagine it looking similar to one of the Android phones with a plastic, terraced back and a protruding camera. The same people who are pissed that the 4S looks the same would probably find themselves wishing that Apple hadn't changed it. I think the black glass, uniform form factor and stainless steel is perfect.
And that's one of the reasons I prefer the aesthetics of the iPhone 4 right there. I've played with the EVO, GalaxyII, and they felt like plastic bricks...but that was my opinion. By no means am I an Apply fanboy. But for me, the form factor of the iPhone 4 fits perfectly.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
It's apparent that many of you are disappointed with the iPhone 4S. I understand that the same design and screen size is a deal breaker for you. But let's stick to the facts and consider the options here. This is not a minor update. There are some significant improvements and upgrades and downplaying them or denying that they exist isn't really fair. I think most people would have been happy with the specs if the phone also had a bigger screen and new design. Apple decided to retain the current form factor and 3.5" screen and incessantly complaining about it will not make an iPhone with a bigger screen magically appear.

I know that it needed a bigger screen to satisfy you, but do you really dislike the design? This is the same design that most people loved last year. Why change something that works and looks good when you don't have to? The specs are what really matters and it's not like it looks bad. The Droids kept a similar design in their updates and people didn't mock it. Ask yourself why you really needed it to be redesigned. Is it so it will immediately be flagged as the latest iPhone and people who see it won't assume it's just an old iPhone 4?

If you are let down and don't want it, why not just move on and get an Android device that suits your needs? It's okay if you don't want to get an iPhone 4S. Really, we understand that it won't suit your needs. You don't need to justify your choice to us or explain why you don't want an iPhone. We are well aware of the reasons. We don't want to try to control which phone you choose. Please don't make it your mission to talk us out of upgrading, convert us to Android and rain on our parade. And if that's not what you're trying to accomplish, what are your intentions or motives?

Many of us are happy with the specs and will upgrade. Labeling us as iSheep is immature and belittling. Making the decision to switch to Android but continuing to post derisively negative comments here is like breaking up with a girl and then repeatedly texting her to tell her what a disappointment she was. We get it. It really doesn't need to be reworded and repeated over and over. Get over it.
Couldn't have written that any better myself. Great post.

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008

Michael
I don't stream movies on 3G, I only browse the internet and use pandora and internet games. I still use on average about a Gig per month and once came very close to 2 Gigs.

When I was on EDGE I rarely used it, it was DOG slow. web pages would take between 30-45 seconds to load. I worked out at Universal Studios then and there was no wifi and I was very bored. That's why the V1 to 3G was a big difference for me

Reactions: jarofclay73

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I don't stream movies on 3G, I only browse the internet and use pandora and internet games. I still use on average about a Gig per month and once came very close to 2 Gigs.

When I was on EDGE I rarely used it, it was DOG slow. web pages would take between 30-45 seconds to load. I worked out at Universal Studios then and there was no wifi and I was very bored. That's why the V1 to 3G was a big difference for me
That makes sense. Around here EDGE was--is--surprisingly fast. I used to get around 180kbps which was not bad; at least not on the 1G iPhone. Conversely, we seem to be on the slow-end of 3G hence I didn't notice too much of a difference. If I am concerned about battery running down I will even turn 3G off :).

Michael

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Oh yes, so much for my whining: I have already ordered my iPhone 4S. Who was I kidding.... :)

Michael

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
at first I said no way, then I said why not, I'll sell my 4 and get some money back, now I just wanna go and pay full price for it because I can't wait. I hit cancel twice already.
I need an intervention.

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011
i kinda wanna get one for 2 reason. #1 because i have bought every other iPhone and 2nd to pay respect to SJ. but will i use it as my daily driver....NO. so i am still on the fence @ this time. who knows maybe i will just flip a coin and decided that way:confused:

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
at first I said no way, then I said why not, I'll sell my 4 and get some money back, now I just wanna go and pay full price for it because I can't wait. I hit cancel twice already.
I need an intervention.
Not the best place for an iPhone intervention. :)

Don't forget Apple will give you $180 if you want to dump the iPhone 4 without much hassle. That is for a 16GB with no damage--32GB IIRC they give you $199). Could probably get more on ebay or CL but the Apple thing seems smooth: they send you out shipping box and everything.

Michael

IllusionEntity

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 3, 2010
Borough Green, Kent, UK
It's apparent that many of you are disappointed with the iPhone 4S. I understand that the same design and screen size is a deal breaker for you. But let's stick to the facts and consider the options here. This is not a minor update. There are some significant improvements and upgrades and downplaying them or denying that they exist isn't really fair. I think most people would have been happy with the specs if the phone also had a bigger screen and new design. Apple decided to retain the current form factor and 3.5" screen and incessantly complaining about it will not make an iPhone with a bigger screen magically appear.

I know that it needed a bigger screen to satisfy you, but do you really dislike the design? This is the same design that most people loved last year. Why change something that works and looks good when you don't have to? The specs are what really matters and it's not like it looks bad. The Droids kept a similar design in their updates and people didn't mock it. Ask yourself why you really needed it to be redesigned. Is it so it will immediately be flagged as the latest iPhone and people who see it won't assume it's just an old iPhone 4?

If you are let down and don't want it, why not just move on and get an Android device that suits your needs? It's okay if you don't want to get an iPhone 4S. Really, we understand that it won't suit your needs. You don't need to justify your choice to us or explain why you don't want an iPhone. We are well aware of the reasons. We don't want to try to control which phone you choose. Please don't make it your mission to talk us out of upgrading, convert us to Android and rain on our parade. And if that's not what you're trying to accomplish, what are your intentions or motives?

Many of us are happy with the specs and will upgrade. Labeling us as iSheep is immature and belittling. Making the decision to switch to Android but continuing to post derisively negative comments here is like breaking up with a girl and then repeatedly texting her to tell her what a disappointment she was. We get it. It really doesn't need to be reworded and repeated over and over. Get over it.
You can all enjoy some outdated tech at $649. Enjoy, Seriously. I bought the Samsung Galaxy SII and it is for one, 10X better than the iPhone 4. And ALREADY outshines the specs of the iPhone 4S. Which hasn't even been released yet. Not to mention the Galaxy SII is lighter, thinner and had an amazing Super Amoled 4.3" screen. I don't intend in looking back to Apple anytime in the near future.. Siri? Android already has that. It also has notification centre. But Apple thought of those two things?

As always. This is my view on it. I am happy with my choice and glad I got a lighter, Thinner and better phone for my money.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Not the best place for an iPhone intervention. :)

Don't forget Apple will give you $180 if you want to dump the iPhone 4 without much hassle. That is for a 16GB with no damage--32GB IIRC they give you $199). Could probably get more on ebay or CL but the Apple thing seems smooth: they send you out shipping box and everything.

Michael
I don't want to get rid of the 4, I love it, I might just wait for the 5 all together, I'm still confused on what to do, I have time to decide.
But if I do decide to sell, i rather sell in on craigslist and get more.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
You can all enjoy some outdated tech at $649. Enjoy, Seriously. I bought the Samsung Galaxy SII and it is for one, 10X better than the iPhone 4. And ALREADY outshines the specs of the iPhone 4S. Which hasn't even been released yet. Not to mention the Galaxy SII is lighter, thinner and had an amazing Super Amoled 4.3" screen. I don't intend in looking back to Apple anytime in the near future.. Siri? Android already has that. It also has notification centre. But Apple thought of those two things?

As always. This is my view on it. I am happy with my choice and glad I got a lighter, Thinner and better phone for my money.
I think I can speak for a few People here when I say, I'm very happy for you and your wonderful purchase.

http://everythingAndroid.com/ is calling you now........

Reactions: Hondamaker

gotzaiPhone

Zealot
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL

you apparently didn't see this, have fun with your more "advanced" phone.

Attachments

Reactions: Hondamaker