evasi0n iOS 6 Jailbreak Released

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Although 6.1.3 will break evasi0n, David Wang of the evad3rs team says that enough iOS bugs have been found to nearly develop a whole new jailbreak. Of course, I imagine that would take some time.

So the smart move is to not update to 6.1.3 if you wish to retain your jailbreak, even if iTunes asks you nicely. Read every pop-up notification in iTunes carefuly and keep your dang fingers away from the keyboard until you do.

I wonder how many posts we'll be seeing saying something to the effect that, "OMG! I accidentally updated my iPhone software and lost my jailbreak! What can I do?"

Nothing. Grin and bear it.

Not a sermon, just a thought.

Reactions: Kadelic and Kriss

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
Let me ask this:

So, I backup my phone to iTunes.

Then I connect to my computer and close iTunes and run the jailbreak software. Then I restore? OK so far?

Then, if something is messed up I just restore again from iTunes? So confused and afraid! :eek:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Let me ask this:

So, I backup my phone to iTunes.

Then I connect to my computer and close iTunes and run the jailbreak software. Then I restore? OK so far?

Then, if something is messed up I just restore again from iTunes? So confused and afraid! :eek:
No. You don't need to restore. Here are the directions again:
1. Backup your phone with iCloud or in iTunes.
2. Turn off your passcode lock.
3. Install evasi0n on your computer.
4. Connect your phone to the computer via USB and run evasi0n. Do not touch any buttons on the phone until it is complete and has rebooted.
5. Open Cydia and allow it to initialize (this is automatic) and then it will reboot your phone. Select "user" when it asks you if you want to set it up for user, hacker or developer.

Reactions: Zanthe

MoneyMaker79

Genius
Gold
Dec 15, 2008
Florida
Although 6.1.3 will break evasi0n, David Wang of the evad3rs team says that enough iOS bugs have been found to nearly develop a whole new jailbreak. Of course, I imagine that would take some time.

So the smart move is to not update to 6.1.3 if you wish to retain your jailbreak, even if iTunes asks you nicely. Read every pop-up notification in iTunes carefuly and keep your dang fingers away from the keyboard until you do.

I wonder how many posts we'll be seeing saying something to the effect that, "OMG! I accidentally updated my iPhone software and lost my jailbreak! What can I do?"

Nothing. Grin and bear it.

Not a sermon, just a thought.
Knowing me, I would update. But after reading this, thank you by the way, I will not update to 6.1.3 when released, until further notice regarding the jailbreak. :)

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
4. Connect your phone to the computer via USB and run evasi0n. Do not touch any buttons on the phone until it is complete and has rebooted.
5. Open Cydia and allow it to initialize (this is automatic) and then it will reboot your phone. Select "user" when it asks you if you want to set it up for user, hacker or developer.
I am so dense!

Thanks again Mindi.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Knowing me, I would update. But after reading this, thank you by the way, I will not update to 6.1.3 when released, until further notice regarding the jailbreak. :)
My post wasn't meant to be sarcastic or demeaning; I used to see so many posts on different forums like the one I described in my post. I guess some people have an uncontrollable reptilian urge to press "OK" when confronted by a pop-up window. This would explain browsers I've seen with twenty search bars. :D

snowtrooper1966

Genius
Gold
Dec 10, 2009
Clarksburg, WV
Zanthe
Nothing wrong with a bit of trepidation.
Had the same worries first time myself.
As you well know, there is a great community here that can walk you through it, and help should trouble arise.
Once you start down the JB darkside path, and digging the freedom allowed, u will wonder why u took so long...:D

MoneyMaker79

Genius
Gold
Dec 15, 2008
Florida
Nothing wrong with a bit of trepidation.
Had the same worries first time myself.
There is a great community here that an walk you through it, and help should trouble arise.
Once you start down the JB darkside path, and digging the freedom allowed, u will wonder why u took so long...:D
I loved jailbreaking the moment I started, thereforee I will never stop! Unless...well not gonna talk about the bad stuff. Keep good thoughts! There will be jailbreaking forever! :)

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
On final thing (for today) on this proceedure.

Once you download the jailbreak...when you plug the phone in, on my computer it opens iTunes automatically. Do you then close iTunes and then runevasi0n?

MoneyMaker79

Genius
Gold
Dec 15, 2008
Florida
On final thing (for today) on this proceedure.

Once you download the jailbreak...when you plug the phone in, on my computer it opens iTunes automatically. Do you then close iTunes and then runevasi0n?
Once you have successfuly jailbroken your iPhone with evasi0n, Cydia will show up as an icon on the last page of your iPhone. You can then open Cydia and choose User and let it load all of the data.

Sent using iCafe app

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
Once you have successfuly jailbroken your iPhone with evasi0n, Cydia will show up as an icon on the last page of your iPhone. You can then open Cydia and choose User and let it load all of the data.

Sent using iCafe app
So you close iTunes before running the jailbreak? That is what I am not clear about.

MoneyMaker79

Genius
Gold
Dec 15, 2008
Florida
So you close iTunes before running the jailbreak? That is what I am not clear about.
It would be best to close iTunes before running the jailbreak. Also, remove the passcode if you have one, although it is not necessary as evasi0n will notify you to unlock the iPhone before it can continue.

Just do not mess with your iPhone until the jailbreak is fully completed and the iPhone is rebooted completely, unless it tells you to unlock. There is one part that says to unlock and press the evasi0n icon. Once you do this it'll open and close. Let it then run its course until fully finished.

Sent using iCafe app

Reactions: Zanthe

MoneyMaker79

Genius
Gold
Dec 15, 2008
Florida
Just so Zanthe understands he will have to interact with the jailbreak process one time.
If I understand correctly what you're saying, yes Zanthe will only have to figure it out and understand it once. All of the past jailbreak programs have been pretty simple to use.

There was one program that was hard to use though. You had to follow instructions and hold down specific buttons for 10 seconds etc. Do you recall this? I had trouble with that program.

Sent using iCafe app

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
If I understand correctly what you're saying, yes Zanthe will only have to figure it out and understand it once. All of the past jailbreak programs have been pretty simple to use.

There was one program that was hard to use though. You had to follow instructions and hold down specific buttons for 10 seconds etc. Do you recall this? I had trouble with that program.

Sent using iCafe app
If I recall correctly, one of the earliest jailbreaks had quite a litany of instructions, and if you screwed any of them up, you had to start all over. I, of course, had to start over.

MoneyMaker79

Genius
Gold
Dec 15, 2008
Florida
If I recall correctly, one of the earliest jailbreaks had quite a litany of instructions, and if you screwed any of them up, you had to start all over. I, of course, had to start over.
I'm glad I am not the only one. I either let go of a button early, or didn't follow the instructions straight on and in perfect timing as the directions went fast. One time I had to redo it three or four times. And once again if I remember correctly, you had to restore before you could redo it.

Sent using iCafe app

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I'm glad I am not the only one. I either let go of a button early, or didn't follow the instructions straight on and in perfect timing as the directions went fast. One time I had to redo it three or four times. And once again if I remember correctly, you had to restore before you could redo it.

Sent using iCafe app
That was an eternity ago in iPhone years.