FaceTime work internationally?

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
I recently tried making a facetime call to a friend when I was in Canada. I had airplane mode on with a strong wifi connection and I would get an immediate call failure. Is this an international thing or do I need to have a cellular connection as well. He also ran into the same issue on an airplane. Instant call failure with airplane mode and wifi on.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I believe that with your very first Facetime call, you need a cellular connection, but from that time on, you're good to go with just WIFI? Someone put me in my place if I'm wrong. Thanks.

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
I believe that with your very first Facetime call, you need a cellular connection, but from that time on, you're good to go with just WIFI? Someone put me in my place if I'm wrong. Thanks.
If the new iPod touch use this...and it does, then there should be no cellular connection between the users!?

UPDATE! I found this: FaceTime currently works over WiFi only, yet it must use the AT&T network to initiate the connection.

iP4Play

Sep 10, 2010
Facetime DOES work internationally- we have had several calls internationally. There are a few bugs that need to get worked out, since it doesn't seem to work all the time, and we specifically have had trouble reaching France (or BEING reached by France). However, we've had several completed calls to the UK (some of my favorite, actually) and I think one other country.

xoxo
iP4Play model Amber Berlin

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Facetime DOES work internationally- we have had several calls internationally. There are a few bugs that need to get worked out, since it doesn't seem to work all the time, and we specifically have had trouble reaching France (or BEING reached by France). However, we've had several completed calls to the UK (some of my favorite, actually) and I think one other country.

xoxo
iP4Play model Amber Berlin
Thanks! (I thought your signature was "Playboy"...but you're iP4Play model!?)

iP4Play

Sep 10, 2010
Lol not Playboy yet... someday, I can only hope :) right now just iP4Play!

you're welcome!

iP4Play

Sep 10, 2010
latest discovery:

the best way to call internationally is to add the person to your contacts. open his/her contact and click on "facetime". it will call directly through facetime instead of starting a phone call and adding facetime.

make sure you have the country codes right!

Mariusz Pachowski

Apr 30, 2011
The best way if to just use skype to make video calls and forget worries if overseas people are on AT&T or not. Most likely they are not as this is the USA only network.

Reactions: Santa

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
If the new iPod touch use this...and it does, then there should be no cellular connection between the users!?

UPDATE! I found this: FaceTime currently works over WiFi only, yet it must use the AT&T network to initiate the connection.
I need to add to this my ipad2 is Wifi only and tethered to my phone
The phone is using 3G network and but tethered as hotspot get's you wifi so it is possible to call facetime from the ipad2 via 3G hotspot from your phone. Probably would work with 2 phones too.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL

This is false. No cellular connection needed. Just the Apple ID email address.

Santa

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 2, 2009
Colorado, USA
The best way if to just use skype to make video calls and forget worries if overseas people are on AT&T or not. Most likely they are not as this is the USA only network.
I totally agree. I've used Skype all over the world and never had any issues (and talked with a lot of 'non Apple' people too)

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I will say that yahoo is "ok", and the quality of Fring was sub-FaceTime (but I haven't used it in a long time and there have been several updates since) but there are enough options out there that international connections should be easy to do.