Family has unlimited text plan, will this carry over to iPhone 3G?

Maaz

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
LA California
hey guys iam on a family plan with my dad and sisters, and i just upgraded to iPhone 3G from iPhone version 1. So i have the normal iPhone 3G plan the $30 one. My dad just added Unlimited texting for the family, will my iPhone 3G also get the texting? i asked the guy at the Apple store if i would and he said that my iPhone will also have unlimited texting.

Maaz

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
LA California
also everytime I try to see my remaining data this month it says wait till next billing cycle. So do I not have unlimited texting until my next billing cycle?

luvmyiPhone

Sep 6, 2008
I don't see any reason why you wouldn't have unlimited texting if its been added to the family plan and you're apart of it.

Also I know that when I first got my iPhone 3g and switched to AT&T they told me that you're unable to check your usage until the next cycle. So thats probably what it was, if you changed your plan it takes effect immeadiately but when you check online or use the texting feature (#646*) it won't be able to tell you your usage until the next month.

To be on the safe side just give AT&T a call and they will be able to clear all of that up for you but they should give you the same information that I just did. Its always best to check with them though so that if there is a problem you have that on your side.

Maaz

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
LA California
alright yes I remember effects being taken immedietly, so I should have unlimited text right now correct ? I'll call AT&T also just to make sure.

luvmyiPhone

Sep 6, 2008
yes whatever changes you made will take place immeadiately thats why they do all that dumb pro rating and stuff...but yes you should have unlimited texting right now.

Maaz

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
LA California
alright thanks for all your help man. I'am just curious because the guy on the phone told my dad that the iPhone won't be getting the unlimited texts but that was before I got the 3G and even if they charge me for text I'll get it refunded because my iPhone line is supposed to have unlimited.
just checked att website, and this is what it says under Family messaging
Messaging Unlimited for Families

With just one package - ALL lines in your FamilyTalk group can send and receive UNLIMITED text, picture, video and instant messages with anyone in the US.

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
Unlimited family texting is good for V1 and 3g iPhones i have had it on both iPhones and it worked fine. It also goes into effect immediately when u change to it

Maaz

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
LA California
so is there a chance my iPhone line wasn't added to the family texting because the guy on the phone said it doesn't work for iPhones? Or is my line added no matter what because it affects all lines ok our family account.

luvmyiPhone

Sep 6, 2008
Its been explained a few different ways but if you're a part of a family plan and the account has unlimited texting then your phone does have unlimited texting on it, effective right now...here check this out I found it in another forum, somebody who had pretty much the same question as you and an AT&T rep responded and explained how unlimited texting works on a family plan with the iPhone.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=6316971

Maaz

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
LA California
Update guys
Just called AT&T and they confirmed that my iPhone is included in my family testing plan. So iam good. Thanks for all your replies and all your time thanks guys.