Finally switched back to Verizon but having some problems.

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
Well, after enjoying an iPhone in it's three iterations for the past 3 years, I've finally had enough of AT&T and switched back to Verizon. It was a great run with the iPhone but enough was finally enough. Yesterday I went in and bought three Droid Erises. Now that I've switched, however, I've noticed some significant problems.

1) I have to turn down the volume when I'm talking to someone or it's too loud in my ear. The iPhone was waaaay better in that regard, no matter how high I turned up the volume it was never loud enough to effectively hear the other caller.

2) I've almost had an accident while driving several times when the phone has rung in an area of town where I know full well I've never been able to get an AT&T signal. I mean, come on Verizon, how dare you surprise me like that?! The least you could do is have a few dead spots in the center of the urban areas.

3) I've lost my charging cable for the Eris since I haven't reattached the phone to it since I initially charged it. I never had that problem with the iPhone. I always had ready access to my cable since I connected the iPhone three or four times a day to it.

4) And what's up with this? For some reason I'm getting a 3G signal without paying extra for it when I'm used to paying for 3G and not getting 3g. What kind of crazy logic is that? Giving me something I'm not paying for instead of charging me for something I'm not? Wake up Verizon. With businesss practices like that you'll soon be bankrupt and AT&T will rule the world! I mean there's NO AT&T 3G coverage here and yet they have tons of people paying for it so they canhave the 3GS. Now THAT's brilliant! Money for nothing, Baby.

Obviously this is tongue-in-cheek but switching over to Verizon and the Eris has made several shortcomings of AT&T/iPhone more glaringly obvious to me. I was willing to put up with so much just to have the iPhone that I had deluded myself into thinking my service was acceptable when it was FAR FAR from it. Do I miss the iPhone? Sure. Of course. The UI is absolutely, hands-down, the best of any out there. But man was I putting up with a lot to have that UI. I'd forgotten just how much a reliable signal was worth to me. Or good sound quality during a call. Now that's slick!

Fear not, however, the things that were good about the iPhone live on for me because I'll keep using it as an iPod Touch. All the pros without the cons.

Oh yeah, and there's that iPad thingy I'm going to be buying in a month or two. :)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I'm assuming you live in the west, where Verizon rules and AT&T sucks. Despite being in that boat, there's no way I could give up my iPhone. My solution is to have a backup phone with prepaid minutes on Verizon.

Apple4me

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
When I got my first generation iPhone (on release day), AT&T service in our area was so bad that I returned the phone after 28 days. About six months later, I purchased another first gen iPhone and AT&T service happened to be much better. As I've moved from 1st gen to 3g and now to 3Gs, AT&T service has improved tremendously in our area.

My wife has a businesss cell phone on Verizon and the service at our house is spotty at best and unusable at worst.

I think that the AT&T versus Verizon debate over better reception is entirely dependent upon where you live and in what areas you travel to/through. I'm just happy that AT&T service has improved so much in our area that I can keep using iPhones. I wouldn't trade my iPhone for any other device out there :)

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
I gave mine up last week and switched to Sprint. I miss a couple of apps, namely the ability to deposit checks by simply taking a picture but other than that I'm loving Sprint.

talon90

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 17, 2009
As long as you are enjoying your new phone. I'm pretty happy with mine however and don't seem to experience the "shortcomings" you were afflicted with. Maybe there is a Droid forum you could share your joy with.

Get_Zwole

Bronze
Jun 20, 2009
Oklahoma City
I live in the central an ATT rocks i never drop calls although some people around here ***** about it i never have a problem. Also have 3g always unless im out of town.

jakefuzzy

Bronze
Oct 13, 2009
I live in the east but travel all over the country. Although there are places that don't have good AT&T coverage, overall I get great signal and 3G in most cities, even on the left coast. I wouldn't even think about switching to Verizon regardless of how great the Droid is.

jakefuzzy

Bronze
Oct 13, 2009
Nice! I totally agree. No use for him to be on an iPhone Forum where everyone loves there iPhone.
As long as you are enjoying your new phone. I'm pretty happy with mine however and don't seem to experience the "shortcomings" you were afflicted with. Maybe there is a Droid forum you could share your joy with.

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
Nice! I totally agree. No use for him to be on an iPhone Forum where everyone loves there iPhone.
Cool your jets, Kiddo. I've been on this forum a hell of a lot longer than you and can say that I unequivocally loved all three of the iPhones I've had. I played Travian for nearly a year via the iPhone with many members here and made a lot of friends that way. What chased me away from the iPhone, finally was AT&T, not the iPhone.

The iPhone has warts, there's no doubt about it. Perhaps you might peruse a few of the actual threads on this forum before making a blanket statement about the undying love that all feel for the iPhone. That's love IN SPITE of some shortcomings. Again, I was more than willing to put up with those shortcomings but AT&T finally did my love affair in.

Now as for the phone I have now, the Droid Eris, that's just a compromise until (if?) Verizon finally gets the iPhone. At that point I'll be back on the iPhone train. Until then it's the clunky (if pretty) Sense UI from HTC for me. If Verizon never gets the iPhone? Well I still get lots of iGoodness using it as a Touch. And there's no way I'm giving up the app portablility the iPhone/Touch allows me to have. I just simply won't have a phone attached to it anymore.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Everyone has a say on this forum, not just veterans.

I'm not taking sides in this, just reminding folks that "newbies" have as much right to a respectful opinion as anyone else here.

Now, if it gets uncivil, that's where I might step in.

That being said - carry on! :eek:k:eek:k

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
Everyone has a say on this forum, not just veterans.

I'm not taking sides in this, just reminding folks that "newbies" have as much right to a respectful opinion as anyone else here.
Absolutely agree. Sort of why I answered the "Love it or Leave it" response from Junior earlier.:sneaky:

talon90

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 17, 2009
Cool your jets, Kiddo. I've been on this forum a hell of a lot longer than you and can say that I unequivocally loved all three of the iPhones I've had. I played Travian for nearly a year via the iPhone with many members here and made a lot of friends that way. What chased me away from the iPhone, finally was AT&T, not the iPhone.

The iPhone has warts, there's no doubt about it. Perhaps you might peruse a few of the actual threads on this forum before making a blanket statement about the undying love that all feel for the iPhone. That's love IN SPITE of some shortcomings. Again, I was more than willing to put up with those shortcomings but AT&T finally did my love affair in.

Now as for the phone I have now, the Droid Eris, that's just a compromise until (if?) Verizon finally gets the iPhone. At that point I'll be back on the iPhone train. Until then it's the clunky (if pretty) Sense UI from HTC for me. If Verizon never gets the iPhone? Well I still get lots of iGoodness using it as a Touch. And there's no way I'm giving up the app portablility the iPhone/Touch allows me to have. I just simply won't have a phone attached to it anymore.
Yes, the phone has warts and the carrier service can be spotty. Most are aware of it but not all experience it. The reason for my reply (which ultimately spurred these comments) was because there were a couple of ways that this could have been handled. You could have simply posted in a positive vein about your switch and about your satisfaction. Which may have provoked some useful discussion. Instead it was presented in a heavily sarcasm laden "rub our noses in it" post which could easily be mistaken for a troll like post. No one wants to have their warts highlighted and it generally leads to people rallying around defending their choice or their circumstance. Just my thoughts.

My experience has been that length of time on a forum has little to do with quality of post or contribution.

pinkfloydscorpio

Bronze
Dec 31, 2009
Gilbert, AZ
I live in Phoenix, AZ and have never had a problem with my service. I've had Cricket, Sprint, and T-Mobile and AT&T has treated us the best; service, and customer service.

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
I live in Tucson Arizona and have fantastic service ... I was with Verizon for 8 years and had great service as well. When the first gen iPhone came out I tried it for a week and then returned it, iPhone 3G had it for 3 months and called it quits and now with the 3GS I have to say I am very happy, I really think I get better reception here than I did with Verizon. Hands down customer support has been much better than Verizon, when I enter a AT&T corporate store, I do not need to check into a kiosk to get helped, they simply acknowledge me and help me when it's my turn, they also have bent over backwards to make sure I leave happy and have all my questions answered, I have not experienced the same level of caring from Verizon. So I guess for me it comes down to customer service (Which has been great in Tucson Arizona) and the network which has also been great so far.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Well, after enjoying an iPhone in it's three iterations for the past 3 years, I've finally had enough of AT&T and switched back to Verizon. It was a great run with the iPhone but enough was finally enough. Yesterday I went in and bought three Droid Erises. Now that I've switched, however, I've noticed some significant problems.

1) I have to turn down the volume when I'm talking to someone or it's too loud in my ear. The iPhone was waaaay better in that regard, no matter how high I turned up the volume it was never loud enough to effectively hear the other caller.

2) I've almost had an accident while driving several times when the phone has rung in an area of town where I know full well I've never been able to get an AT&T signal. I mean, come on Verizon, how dare you surprise me like that?! The least you could do is have a few dead spots in the center of the urban areas.

3) I've lost my charging cable for the Eris since I haven't reattached the phone to it since I initially charged it. I never had that problem with the iPhone. I always had ready access to my cable since I connected the iPhone three or four times a day to it.

4) And what's up with this? For some reason I'm getting a 3G signal without paying extra for it when I'm used to paying for 3G and not getting 3g. What kind of crazy logic is that? Giving me something I'm not paying for instead of charging me for something I'm not? Wake up Verizon. With businesss practices like that you'll soon be bankrupt and AT&T will rule the world! I mean there's NO AT&T 3G coverage here and yet they have tons of people paying for it so they canhave the 3GS. Now THAT's brilliant! Money for nothing, Baby.

Obviously this is tongue-in-cheek but switching over to Verizon and the Eris has made several shortcomings of AT&T/iPhone more glaringly obvious to me. I was willing to put up with so much just to have the iPhone that I had deluded myself into thinking my service was acceptable when it was FAR FAR from it. Do I miss the iPhone? Sure. Of course. The UI is absolutely, hands-down, the best of any out there. But man was I putting up with a lot to have that UI. I'd forgotten just how much a reliable signal was worth to me. Or good sound quality during a call. Now that's slick!

Fear not, however, the things that were good about the iPhone live on for me because I'll keep using it as an iPod Touch. All the pros without the cons.

Oh yeah, and there's that iPad thingy I'm going to be buying in a month or two. :)
I had the DROID for a month and that was the one thing I noticed. Calls were loud, crystal clear. Never got a chance to test the Palm Pre Plus, but was curious if it was all about the network or part of the Moto hardware.

Yes, there is a Droid Forum where he can share the joy. Shameless plug.

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
@chris ... I have noticed in general that the volume on all three generations of iPhones has been week. I was playing with my old Verizon HTC Touch Pro last night and was in how much louder the headset speaker was, I do miss it. aww

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I use a Bluetooth headset 90% of the time and it's sufficient. I also don't use my iPhone 3GS for calls as much as say email, web, Twittering. In my area, AT&T is sufficient and probably second best to Verizon. I had zero Sprint service in my house and T-Mobile was subpar as well.