Firmware upgrade to awaken 3G in iPhone?

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
As much as I would love this too be true, I doubt current iPhones are 3G enabled. Jobs already stated that they didn't use 3g because of the power consumption as the main issue but also because of the lack of chips available. Besides that, if you look at any of the various iPhone disassembly photos ou can see that there is no 3g chipse, unless it is disguissed in some way.

What do they look like?

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
If that's the case, then there's no way our phones have a 3G chip. People hack phones all the time. If Apple hasn't gotten govt. approval for a 3G iPhone, but embedded 3G technology into the devices anyway, the government would chew them up & spit them out as soon as people figured out how to hack the device and turn on 3G functionality.
I heard that they were lowering the 3g freq

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
What do they look like?
What do 3G chips look like? Is that what you are asking? I am sure they can vary so I cannot give you a definative answer. Based on the iPhone autopsies I have read, none of the chips where even remotely confused to be 3G.... It is that information and the responses from Steve Jobs that I am using to make this conclusion.

kneshoba

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
I heard that they were lowering the 3g freq
I have read that also, i the 3g freq in dallas texas is 850 & 1900mhz, also this is rumor only from att rep that small town oklahoma will have 3g. Right now only Tulsa has 3g currently which is weird, Oklahoma city is just as large as Tulsa go figure:)

hoop

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
arlington,texas
I have read that also, i the 3g freq in dallas texas is 850 & 2100mhz, also this is rumor only from att rep that small town oklahoma will have 3g. Right now only Tulsa has 3g currently which is weird, Oklahoma city is just as large as Tulsa go figure:)
where u read this at? im 10mins from dallas (or like 10 miles away) and i haven't heard of this.

PS. im not saying u r misleading me here im just saying i live here and i haven't heard that.

bcaslis

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Oregon
No AT&T uses the 850/1900 MHz frequency everywhere in the US for 3G, Everyone outside the US uses 1900/2100 and T-Mobile plans to use 1700/2100 for their 3G when they launch it.

BobVu

Jun 30, 2007
Yes it's definitely true, they are getting ready to wake up the 3G in our phones. Then they're going to send each of us a check for a million dollars and we can all frolic together in fantasy land.

prolix21

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Yes it's definitely true, they are getting ready to wake up the 3G in our phones. Then they're going to send each of us a check for a million dollars and we can all frolic together in fantasy land.
awsome! :)

i think we need to declare this myth busted

Last edited by a moderator:

kneshoba

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
where u read this at? im 10mins from dallas (or like 10 miles away) and i haven't heard of this.

PS. im not saying u r misleading me here im just saying i live here and i haven't heard that.
go to http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/cou_us.shtml

Go down to Cingular wireless you will see will see 3g 850/1900 go to coverage map and it will dislplay the cities with the capabilities, the att rep was in a small town in southern oklahoma mentioned 3g here in November hmmm. Also go gsmworld.com and read the new spectrum article. Also i have another post i will try to find and post the link. I don't know how the spectrum thing works but being changed will affect the iPhone, in a good way ihope.