First generation iPhones may be worthless...

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
THIS JUST IN:

In a startling revelation from some guy who knows the mail man that drives by the local AT&T store.

In 6 months, the iPhone will be bundled with a coupon for a free dinner at Applebees. Do not buy at launch if you want to miss out on a spectacular dinner for 2 at your neighborhood Applebees establishment.

I don't know about you guys, but i'm holding out until January.
Thanks for the good laugh! :laugh2:

Knowsall

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
This makes me think about when I got my TREO600 and the 650 came out almost a year later(still very fast to output a new device to me) I remember a few differences between the 2 being 600:: 3rd party apps needed to apply music as ringtones etc. 650::Integrated system to allow you to use music as ringtones. This minor difference was huge to me. Since I love tracking down programs(Im a nerd that way) It was not that big of a deal since many 3rd party apps were available by the time the 650 came out. So it was kind of easy to make my 600 a lot like 650 except for slower processor etc. So a new iPhone in 6mo with 3g is definitley something I will want. Hell maybe they will push it to a Dec 23rd release hehe.

3dg

Bronze
Jun 8, 2007
There will always be another new product, iPhone, laptopp, TV, computer, etc. The next generation will be faster, better, do more, etc. If you wait, you're always waiting. Get in, use the goods and enjoy.

Boyscout47

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
I am always amazed by these horror stories people have with Apple product specifically first gen stuff. I must either live in a tech trouble free zone or don't have extremely high expectation for my devices. I know that the iPhone will be updated and probably sooner than later but I am also not worried about that due to the fact that it has been said that for the next two years what will be updated regularly. The 3G... We will see if it doesn't have it already. I doubt that in 6 months I will be surfing the net extensively. Wifi is almost everywhere now and If I want to look something up while in driving 80 down the freeway or walking around a park then I can wait the extra minute it might take to surf.

Point is we might be fools for buying it on the 29th. You might be a fool for waiting. I appreciate the info that i might be wasting your money but the comments about people being stupid or bashing Apple cause you got in a bad batch of computers are just not needed.

radbrent

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
I think Apple is going to make this phone worth it.... This is a big step for Apple. People are signing 2 year contracts with AT&T... I don't think they'll screw it up.

rebelace

Bronze
May 30, 2007
Beaumont,Texas
www.thechadburge.com
If they are smart at all they will lock us all in for 2 years then either in a year or so update it then offer it to us for a discount to re-up for another 2 years or so. You just have to think of what makes businesss since especially when it comes to you locking your customers into contracts.

But even if they do update it in six months I will be happy still with my 1st gen iPhone. Hell I bought the intel macbook pro's when it came out and it is already twice outdated but I still love it to death.

RHJS

Jun 18, 2007
SoCal
This is the dumbest sh_t I have ever heard. If this is true I am not going to be happy with Apple. This still wont urge me to not buy one on iDay but news like this makes me want to stop reading iPhone news.

DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE!

Toranz82

Bronze
Jun 7, 2007
Florida
There will always be another new product, iPhone, laptopp, TV, computer, etc. The next generation will be faster, better, do more, etc. If you wait, you're always waiting. Get in, use the goods and enjoy.
i def agree with u man..we only live once might as well enjoy being one of the first with an iPhone lol...and hell if another one comes out just sell urs and buy the new one

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Good point, I agree with you. For me I will buy one on friday, enjoy it and when the new model is released I will purchase that model and give my old one to a family member. The phone itself is really not expensive compared to the value of the contract and the value to me by owning the latest technology. This is one investment I don't mind taking a loss.;)
perfectly stated, this is exactly how I feel

slipperypete

Bronze
May 20, 2007
I am always amazed by these horror stories people have with Apple product specifically first gen stuff. I must either live in a tech trouble free zone or don't have extremely high expectation for my devices. I know that the iPhone will be updated and probably sooner than later but I am also not worried about that due to the fact that it has been said that for the next two years what will be updated regularly. The 3G... We will see if it doesn't have it already. I doubt that in 6 months I will be surfing the net extensively. Wifi is almost everywhere now and If I want to look something up while in driving 80 down the freeway or walking around a park then I can wait the extra minute it might take to surf.

Point is we might be fools for buying it on the 29th. You might be a fool for waiting. I appreciate the info that i might be wasting your money but the comments about people being stupid or bashing Apple cause you got in a bad batch of computers are just not needed.
Very well said. Not sure why people are making a huge deal about 3G. It has WiFi...Like you said I'll wait extra minute if I am in area that doesn't have a WiFi signal.

As for the "Don't buy the 1st generation item" I think that is way over blown. I have purchased many items when they 1st released, Apple and non Apple, and never had an issue(knock on wood). Both Apple and AT&T are testing the iPhone like crazy to make sure the bugs are worked out. Both know how much is at stake, can't see the ball being dropped here. Thought I read someplace that that At&T are conducting more than 10K hours of testing on the iPhone(compared to 5K hours for other phones).

Instead of blaming an issue on "1st generation release" could it just be you got a product with an issue? The same issue that could happen on a 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th generation release?

gt1948

Bronze
Jan 30, 2007
Memphis
Glad I found out about this before Friday 29th, as it will make all the 1st generation iPhone worthless.

"Apple has released information on a NEW iPhone that will be 3G and 12gig with new features that will launch in 6 Months"

source:
http://blogs.zdnet.com/ip-telephony/?p=1827
It's a blog report from an AT&T rep! They don't even know how to turn the damm iPhone on et and you give credence to a blog report? Amazin:p

RchGrav

Bronze
Jun 8, 2007
Haha more infamous AT&T Reps.
Yeah, but I think you missed the point, this article says the exact opposite thing as the first post.

It doesn't matter, I have been waiting since January to buy this iPhone. I have been dealing with a crappy RAZR that I want to SMASH to bits every day I use it after it hangs up on people which trying to manage multiple calls at once. The way it screams in my ear to tell me the call was successful after the first one fails. I HATE IT, I HATE IT, HULK SMASH. grrrrr.

Ranged30

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
This report is a joke. Apple is too good a company to do this to their loyal fanboys and fangirls...:cool:

3dg

Bronze
Jun 8, 2007
When the Razr came out years ago from Motorola, I loved the fact that it was so thin but had a big screen. People forget how ground breaking this phone was at the time. I paid $500 or more for it online, unlocked. At the time, it was only for Cingular, I had T-Mobile. I took my SIM and dropped it in the Razr and I was good to go. People were shocked I had a Razr on T-Mobile. Everyone wanted to see the phone. People gave me s**t about having the latest gadgets, and you know what? It was worth it. Now, the Razr is long gone, I've been on Cingular for a few years, and ready for the iPhone. I hope that I'll be able to secure one on Friday. The cash is ready. Hopefully the lines and mob and pushing and shoving won't be bad. Hopefully they'll have enough by the time I get to the counter. Then, I'll proudly show it off. Next year, when it's updated, I'll sell this one, then buy the new one, just as I've done with my Razr, NEC L1, and 8125.

maclaptopuser

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
How exactly do you figure that a $500 or $600 mobile device will be "worthless" when a slightly better mobile device is released? That's simply ridiculous.
That was a quote, it did not come from me. I'm too much of an Apple supporter to find anything useless.

However as we all know when it comes to tech stuff, the minute it's obsolete having been replaced by a new model, the price and value collapse. That's just a fact of life. It is what it is. Anyone with experience knows this.

However that said, if it continues to meet some peoples needs then no worries.

Myself, well I have a Mac Museum if you will, as I would rather buy the latest, and keep the obsolete than sell it for a fraction of it's worth to me.

Plus by now I have a very nice representation of the History of Apple computer over the last ten years. The best of all worlds.......:)

The only thing better than an Apple product, is the latest Apple product!