First generation iPhones may be worthless...

maclaptopuser

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
I am always amazed by these horror stories people have with Apple product specifically first gen stuff.
Actually it's not a horror story, it's just the facts. I know it's hard for some people to deal with the truth instead of living in denial but hey, it's just the way it is. No reason to get so worked up.

Don't believe it? Just look at the other forums that discuss the MacBook Pro, or MacBooks. You will find on those forums people that love the product the same way I do, and report both the good and the bad. The are not in fear, like many people on this forum are, of the truth.

They welcome the opportunity to discuss issues, share fixes and work arounds. It's just part of life in the tech sector.

For some reason this is the only forum populated by people that get so worked up over the truth. Even the Apple hosted forum has a balance of people discussing real issues either positive or negative. If everyone was in fear of speaking up, Apple could not or would not improve their products.

Not only that there are obviously a lot of newbie's and uninformed people here. Apparently on this forum, based on the lively negative responses and attacks this post has drawn, this is a group that is united in believing whatever they are fed from Ringmaster Steve. Anyone who refuses to drink the cool aid is all wrong. Funny how it goes......just an observation.

Just wait until YOU get an iPhone that has a problem.....boy will that be a wakeup call.......:p

I challenge you to read the rest of my posts and you will see that I report quite fairly and that the tone behind my posts is one of a loyal Apple supporter and user.

Obviously more than some people can handle......so sorry to have ruined your day, it was not my intention. Silly me, I thought this was like any other forum. A place to share information and experiences. Wow! I was so wrong.

Ranged30

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
Actually it's not a horror story, it's just the facts. I know it's hard for some people to deal with the truth instead of living in denial but hey, it's just the way it is. No reason to get so worked up.

Don't believe it? Just look at the other forums that discuss the MacBook Pro, or MacBooks. You will find on those forums people that love the product the same way I do, and report both the good and the bad. The are not in fear, like many people on this forum are, of the truth.

They welcome the opportunity to discuss issues, share fixes and work arounds. It's just part of life in the tech sector.

For some reason this is the only forum populated by people that get so worked up over the truth. Even the Apple hosted forum has a balance of people discussing real issues either positive or negative. If everyone was in fear of speaking up, Apple could not or would not improve their products.

Not only that there are obviously a lot of newbie's and uninformed people here. Apparently on this forum, based on the lively negative responses and attacks this post has drawn, this is a group that is united in believing whatever they are fed from Ringmaster Steve. Anyone who refuses to drink the cool aid is all wrong. Funny how it goes......just an observation.

Just wait until YOU get an iPhone that has a problem.....boy will that be a wakeup call.......:p

I challenge you to read the rest of my posts and you will see that I report quite fairly and that the tone behind my posts is one of a loyal Apple supporter and user.

Obviously more than some people can handle......so sorry to have ruined your day, it was not my intention. Silly me, I thought this was like any other forum. A place to share information and experiences. Wow! I was so wrong.
My only question is that if you are so Apple loyal does that mean you are buying an iPhone on the 29th?

slipperypete

Bronze
May 20, 2007

I don't think people are questioning you sharing information or your experiences. You have had issues with an Apple 1st generation product in the past and because of that will not buy the 1st generation iPhone, but for every person like you, who have had issues, there are people like me who has never had an issue(knock on wood). Is it just luck? Who knows. People go by their experiences and that is why I'll buy one on 6/29 and you won't.

I am just saying don't you think it is possible to have an issue with a 2nd, 3rd or 4th generation release? Getting the next generation release doesn't guarantee you a thing. If you are going to get a lemon, you are going to get a lemon.

Keep sharing info and experiences, that is what this board is about.

maclaptopuser

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
My only question is that if you are so Apple loyal does that mean you are buying an iPhone on the 29th?
I'm very loyal to Apple, but not blindly loyal. There's a huge difference.

I do not believe everything they put out (hype) just because "Steve Said It's True" I use my own common sense, experience and intellect to make my own decisions. I buy the Apple products that suit my needs and are worth buying.

This year I have purchased a new 15" MacBook Pro, an 80GB Video iPod and a new Nano. All of these are great products that function as they should and will return good service life. Now these.... are really great Apple Products!

3G high speed connectivity is very important to me, as it provides a much better, faster loading, internet experience. This is based on my experience with the Samsung A707 & A717, my new RAZR V3xx, and a Blackjack all of which are 3G.

I will be purchasing the second generation iPhone with 3G. It's the only one that makes sense as it will meet my needs best.

I have an abundance of patience, and plenty of other new phones to enjoy, so waiting for the right iPhone is no big deal.

After all, I know from experience that when Apple gets it right, it's really right and a great product to enjoy. My new 15" MacBook Pro is a real gem.

(I hope this positive statement about Apple Excellence, does not cause the over invested, emotionally challenged, cult like believers here to go into shock......:p)

Ranged30

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
I'm very loyal to Apple, but not blindly loyal. There's a huge difference.

I do not believe everything they put out (hype) just because "Steve Said It's True" I use my own common sense, experience and intellect to make my own decisions. I buy the Apple products that suit my needs and are worth buying.

This year I have purchased a new 15" MacBook Pro, an 80GB Video iPod and a new Nano. All of these are great products that function as they should and will return good service life. Now these.... are really great Apple Products!

3G high speed connectivity is very important to me, as it provides a much better, faster loading, internet experience. This is based on my experience with the Samsung A707 & A717, my new RAZR V3xx, and a Blackjack all of which are 3G.

I will be purchasing the second generation iPhone with 3G. It's the only one that makes sense as it will meet my needs best.

I have an abundance of patience, and plenty of other new phones to enjoy, so waiting for the right iPhone is no big deal.

After all, I know from experience that when Apple gets it right, it's really right and a great product to enjoy. My new 15" MacBook Pro is a real gem.

(I hope this positive statement about Apple Excellence, does not cause the over invested, emotionally challenged, cult like believers here to go into shock......:p)
3G is not available where I live in Colorado Springs, but that said I use Edge here all the time and have noticed much faster speeds as of late. I travel a lot for my job and while on a trip to LA I used 3G and was not noticeably impressed. Not that it wasn't fast, but it didn't seem THAT much faster than Edge.

Maybe I am crazy here, or I just have too much disposable income, but I will by a first Gen and then turn around and buy a second Gen one too.

maclaptopuser

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
I don't think people are questioning you sharing information or your experiences. You have had issues with an Apple 1st generation product in the past and because of that will not buy the 1st generation iPhone, but for every person like you, who have had issues, there are people like me who has never had an issue(knock on wood). Is it just luck? Who knows. People go by their experiences and that is why I'll buy one on 6/29 and you won't.

I am just saying don't you think it is possible to have an issue with a 2nd, 3rd or 4th generation release? Getting the next generation release doesn't guarantee you a thing. If you are going to get a lemon, you are going to get a lemon.

Keep sharing info and experiences, that is what this board is about.

I enjoyed reading your well written, balanced post. You have made some very good points which I will be happy to respond to.

First, I certainly agree with you. Many people buy first gen products from Apple without a problem. That said, it's important to note that I feel this same way about new products from other companies as well. It's the nature of new technology. That does not mean that I avoid every first gen product. It's just that in my case I've been burned by Apple on more than one occasion. I did not bring this up earlier specifically because I did not want to come across as bashing Apple.

Anyone or any company can and will make mistakes. It's how those mistakes are handled that is important. In the past when dealing with first gen products that are flawed each of the manufacturers has made it right with me. The only exception is Apple. Not once but twice they left me high and dry when I got one bad PowerBook G4, then a few years later a bad MBP. Even though I experienced those losses, I still remained an Apple customer. Why? Because as a businesssman I know that it was not the company that failed to correct things. It was the people I was dealing with and the fact that they were not acting in Apples best interest. Nor did they show a true interest in the customer. It happens. I just chalked it up and moved on. However I think it's important to share with others so perhaps they do not have to suffer the same consequences. Or are at least aware of the possibility of having the same experience.

Conversely, I also use a ThinkPad in my work as some of the apps are PC based only. Since I always upgrade to a new laptop every year (based on my resource intensive work and need for the latest machine) I am more likely to experience a problem than others as I change computers so frequently. When I had a first gen issue with a new ThinkPad they stepped up to the plate, did not hassle me, evaluated the computer, and sent me a new one. Now that is taking care of the customer.

Regarding your comment about the possibility of having a problem with a 2nd, 3rd or 4th gen product. I say yes, it's absolutely possible. In fact I've experienced it first hand. Like you said there are no guarantees, a concept that I agree with completely.

However it's usually not as big of an issue as the product is fairly well sorted out by that point. Moreover, it's how the problem is handled. I never expect perfection, as there is no such thing in my book. I only expect that the issue will be dealt with in a fair manner and resolved in a reasonable time frame. Expectations which I feel are very fair.

Thanks again for your post, I enjoyed the opportunity to answer your questions and offer some clarification.

maclaptopuser

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
3G is not available where I live in Colorado Springs, but that said I use Edge here all the time and have noticed much faster speeds as of late. I travel a lot for my job and while on a trip to LA I used 3G and was not noticeably impressed. Not that it wasn't fast, but it didn't seem THAT much faster than Edge.
I too travel extensively for my job. Your experience in LA is normal at this point in time, the reason is that area while serving 3G presently it's only in certain sectors which AT&T is using for testing purposes. So even when you get a 3G connection in LA it's only delivering 2.5G speeds and again on a temp basis. They will switch back to full 3G speed shortly after their battery of tests are complete.

Out of nothing more than coincidence I met a man who works for the company that builds AT&T's towers and some of the wireless infrastructure. I learned a lot about the technology and just what is involved in the conversion from EDGE to 3G, at least with AT&T.

Long story short, I live in the middle of California where the 3G network has been up and and running at full 3G speeds for several months now. The difference is amazing and truly a time saver. It's my understanding that in less than 3 months the majority of the US will have this level of speed. This is the reason that Motorola and Samsung just to name a few have already put 3G devices into AT&T stores.

I look forward to Apples implementation of 3G at which point I will be purchasing an iPhone.

Ranged30

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
I look forward to Apples implementation of 3G at which point I will be purchasing an iPhone.
I see. Good luck to you but for me it is not worth the wait since I am used to Edge speed already. Plus like I have said before I will buy the next gen as well.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Keep in mind that the iPhone is not an "investment." It's resale value won't go up unless they only make 100 of them. The resale value is not necessarily a high priority for most of us here. A lot of us could probably care less if it loses 100% of its value on the 30th. :)

maclaptopuser

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
I see. Good luck to you but for me it is not worth the wait since I am used to Edge speed already. Plus like I have said before I will buy the next gen as well.
I certainly respect your decision. After all, there is a lot of fun involved in getting the "first" iPhone. Like any other tech purchase it really is about what meets your needs. If EDGE works for you, then your in a perfect position to have lots of fun with your new iPhone.

I believe that the iPhone is one of the best things to happen to the wireless telecom businesss in a long time. This is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of the positive effect that this new device will have on the industry. The level of innovation displayed by Apple is always quite welcome in my opinion. It serves to wake up some of the sleeping giants and cause them to rethink their strategies. This results is an increased level of activity and development which is the very backbone of ingenuity.

Enjoy your new iPhone, it's history in the making!

Ranged30

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
I certainly respect your decision. After all, there is a lot of fun involved in getting the "first" iPhone. Like any other tech purchase it really is about what meets your needs. If EDGE works for you, then your in a perfect position to have lots of fun with your new iPhone.

I believe that the iPhone is one of the best things to happen to the wireless telecom businesss in a long time. This is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of the positive effect that this new device will have on the industry. The level of innovation displayed by Apple is always quite welcome in my opinion. It serves to wake up some of the sleeping giants and cause them to rethink their strategies. This results is an increased level of activity and development which is the very backbone of ingenuity.

Enjoy your new iPhone, it's history in the making!
Thank you, you enjoy yours as well :D

DailyMan

Jun 23, 2007
www.halfrumor.com
I enjoyed reading your well written, balanced post. You have made some very good points which I will be happy to respond to.

First, I certainly agree with you. Many people buy first gen products from Apple without a problem. That said, it's important to note that I feel this same way about new products from other companies as well. It's the nature of new technology. That does not mean that I avoid every first gen product. It's just that in my case I've been burned by Apple on more than one occasion. I did not bring this up earlier specifically because I did not want to come across as bashing Apple.

Anyone or any company can and will make mistakes. It's how those mistakes are handled that is important. In the past when dealing with first gen products that are flawed each of the manufacturers has made it right with me. The only exception is Apple. Not once but twice they left me high and dry when I got one bad PowerBook G4, then a few years later a bad MBP. Even though I experienced those losses, I still remained an Apple customer. Why? Because as a businesssman I know that it was not the company that failed to correct things. It was the people I was dealing with and the fact that they were not acting in Apples best interest. Nor did they show a true interest in the customer. It happens. I just chalked it up and moved on. However I think it's important to share with others so perhaps they do not have to suffer the same consequences. Or are at least aware of the possibility of having the same experience.

Conversely, I also use a ThinkPad in my work as some of the apps are PC based only. Since I always upgrade to a new laptop every year (based on my resource intensive work and need for the latest machine) I am more likely to experience a problem than others as I change computers so frequently. When I had a first gen issue with a new ThinkPad they stepped up to the plate, did not hassle me, evaluated the computer, and sent me a new one. Now that is taking care of the customer.

Regarding your comment about the possibility of having a problem with a 2nd, 3rd or 4th gen product. I say yes, it's absolutely possible. In fact I've experienced it first hand. Like you said there are no guarantees, a concept that I agree with completely.

However it's usually not as big of an issue as the product is fairly well sorted out by that point. Moreover, it's how the problem is handled. I never expect perfection, as there is no such thing in my book. I only expect that the issue will be dealt with in a fair manner and resolved in a reasonable time frame. Expectations which I feel are very fair.

Thanks again for your post, I enjoyed the opportunity to answer your questions and offer some clarification.
Well, honestly speaking, I have purchased only a couple of things from Apple. A Powerbook G4, an iPod 60 GB and an iPod shuffle. None of them were first generations. So, I have no idea how a first generation would feel like. I am going feel how it is going to feel like on the June 29th. Buying a first gen doesn't have anything to do with being loyal to Apple. Just because, I am loyal to Apple doesn't mean I got to buy on the first day of the launch or even the first gen for that matter. I totally agree with 'MACLAPTOPUSER'. It is the fair critic that will improve the quality of the product provided the company is positive and open minded to those critics. And, I have no doubts about that with Apple. Apple has always been open to critics and they respond really well to the critics.

When I buy iPhone on the June 29 has got nothing to do with me being loyal to Apple. It is just that, I am eager to experience the new technology. And let the truth be spoken, I can't wait for the second generation to come in. I can only call myself a gadget freak. Again that doesn't mean if Honda (I am a fan of Honda too) would enter the laptop market, I would go and buy one on the first day. It is just how different individuals look at the product. Some has craze for first generation products, some has craze for new technology, some has craze for cool design and while others might be genuinely in need of a mobile phone and iPhone's launch happened to be a perfect timing for them.

In my blogs, you can find a balance in my critics. In some, I would have pointed out the drawbacks and the rest I would have promoted the efforts of Apple. When you find time, feel free to stop-by and pass on your comments at the below mentioned address.

maclaptopuser

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
I have been wondering what his ulterior motive was. He has said in numerous posts in other threads that he will be buying one online on the 29th. Maybe he just forgot.:laugh2:
Great Post!......:)

Hey, I will be the first to admit that I'm an early adopter and addicted to new highly innovative products like the iPhone. And yes, I did state earlier that I'm a buyer on the 29th.

Believe it or not, I have no ulterior motive (perhaps I should) but the fact is, until the 29th arrives I may end up changing my mind 20,357 times.........:laugh2:

After all the truth be known, I have a Masters in Computer Science (read sucker for all things tech).......:p

Thanks for the humor!

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
If EDGE works for you, then your in a perfect position to have lots of fun with your new iPhone.
Don't forget that we don't really know how EDGE will work on the iPhone. Besides EDGE being upgraded just recently, I would be surprised if Apple did not pull out all of the stops to make EDGE on the iPhone nice and speedy.

With the rumors of Apple building or partnering for their own wireless network (before January) and with the EDGE upgrade, maybe Apple has invested in ATT's build-up of the network?