****for Everyone With Low Volume***

scottjones

Jul 16, 2008
Poor Volume to say the least.

Personally I have no real issue with the mic of loudspeaker function, be it either with the volume or clarity.

However the ringer / speaker volume is problematic and poor in performance to say the least.

At first I thought that the two mesh appetures at the bottom of the phone were both speakers and this was the issue. Of course one is a mic and the other a speaker.

I took my phone back to the store and tested it against an instore demo. Sadly they both performed identically.

Interestingly enough whilst at the store I spoke with another iPhone customer who was purchasing a protective case to carry her phone as she could not hear it ring in her handbag....Why carry a phone you may say!

This is definitely not an isolated problem. Ths iPhone is by far the best device that I have ever owned or have come across but Apple have got some simple basics wrong.

When your phone rings you want to be able to hear it...Secondly you want to be able to hear the person on the other end whether it be on speaker phone or not.

Given the feedback to date I would envisage that a firmware upgrade is innevitable. Lets just hope that issue is resolved in a timely fashion and the upgrade suffices everbody's requirements.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Rewind to last year. We had these problems with v1. Actually I have not noticed it so much with v2.

LESLIEx317537

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
scottjones, are you referring to the new 3G iPhone or the old 1st gen iPhone?

My new 3G is definitely louder than my 1st gen iPhone.
Both on the earpiece end and the speaker.
Seems like the new metal speaker grills don't muffle the sound as much as the fabric or whatever they used in the 1st gen.

scottjones

Jul 16, 2008
NEW 3G Phone

Yes I am referring to the new 3G Model. I feel sorry for those of you who purchased the original if it's speaker performance was worse.

I have continued my reseach. Went back to both Optus and Vodaphone and tested my volume against in store demos once again and found that mine was slightly lower than both demos.

Went away and thought about if for a while. Volume on all phones was on max, ringtones identical.......thinking?

Bingo, my EQ settining the IPOD setting feature may have been different to those of the instore demos.

Went back to the store checked the EQ Ipod settings, adjusted both to the same and 'YES' the volume was identical.

Guys when you test your volume against other phones not only ensure that you are using the same ringtone, max volume etc, but set the IPOD EQ settings to the identical setting as it appears as if the EQ setting not only adjusts the IPOD Music function but the overall speaker output when the phone rings!

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
wait what eq setting did you use to maximize volume?

and why would the ipod eq affect a ringtone?

scottjones

Jul 16, 2008
Volume

Originally my Ipod EQ setting was on Electronic and the Instore Demo Ipod EQ setting was Off (or had not EQ preset).

When the phones were on two different settings I could hear a slight difference when testing ringtones.

I then set my phone with no EQ setting as did the instore demoe. Tested both phones with the SONAR ringtone and they then sounded identical.

Test it for yourself and see if you can notice a difference with max volume, identical tones and different IPOD EQ settings.

I am under the impression that your IPOD EQ setting effects the sound coming your speaker regardless of the function your are using, be it loudspeaker, IPOD of phone ringer.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
ok i just tried it but with playing music
i think it sounds loudest/best quality with either the vocal booster or treble booster

YvilKittyInSpace

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
Tonight while playing with AOL radio at my job, I was amazed at how loud my 3G iPhone was! everyone could hear it and they could not with my old iPhone.

Pimpboy51

Bronze
Sep 18, 2007
Orlando, Florida
So............ iPhone 1st gen mic sucks? This isn't fair! Only thing I could get right now is the 1st gen iPhone! I can't get a contract because im on prepaid :'(

MileHighRob

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
No volume issues on 3G phone for me. I was constantly frustrated with those issues on my first gen iPhone. My friend had no issues with his original phone but now has hit a brick wall with his 3G experiencing many of the issues you guys are having. The inconsistancies are really crazy. I'm counting my blessings this time around.

Ken R

Dec 25, 2008
Christmas Day, 2008, and still low volume.

I've had my iPhone for about a month. It's replacing Nextel that I had for my job (mostly for Direct Connect walkie-talkie use). The Nextel was a horrible phone but a good walkie talkie and fair camera. My top-of-the-line had voice commands and BlueTooth. Had it (or its predecessors) for 10 years.

So, I'm retiring and giving up my Nextel. Saw the iPhone and fell in love with it. It does so much more than telephone. In fact, it seems like telephone must be an afterthough. The volume is so low that I can't hear the ringtone when the unit is in my pants pocket.

The normal "headset" volume is very low. Yes, I have the volume on MAX. So I use speakerphone all the time. Then, if I turn the iPhone upside down, the speaker audio comes out at the top so I use it as a regular telephone (albeit about 3" away from my face).

I think that they desperately need to modify the firmware so that each audio function has its own volume control. And the volume for ringtones, phone, and speakerphone need to be much, much louder.

Oddly, many of my tunes seem very loud when played on the iPhone's speakers. The hardware is capable!

GanjaManja

Dec 29, 2008
No volume issues on 3G phone for me. I was constantly frustrated with those issues on my first gen iPhone. My friend had no issues with his original phone but now has hit a brick wall with his 3G experiencing many of the issues you guys are having. The inconsistancies are really crazy. I'm counting my blessings this time around.
Turns out that the speakers are fine, just the default ringers happen to be recorded at lower volumes & more bass (baritone) than we'd like.
Upload your own ringers with some high-pitched sounds (like most songs) and normalize them at higher volumes (ie. do it manually, no via iTunes w/ Sound Check etc.) and all is well! Nice obnoxiously blaring ringers!

(I haev 1st. gen. iPhone, unlocked, so had to find all these workarounds)

the page:
http://ezinearticles.com/?How-To-Increase-Your-iphone-Ringer-Volume&id=945066

texanfromwyo

Jun 4, 2009
My phone has volume problems at every level except music playing. I know it can crank it because the music can go loud, but I can't hear alerts, the alarm is barely there and to hear someone on the phone or speaker requires absolute quiet.

sibylleandthomas

Aug 2, 2009
You saved my day!

At the risk of stating the obvious, except for those who have low earphone vol, try peeling the plastic film off of the front of the phone, it's covering the speaker
I cant believe i was so insanely stupid! It's working fine now after i took the film off. You rock:eek:k:eek:k