For those downloading iOS 6 beta and installing

fedexgnd

Bronze
Aug 7, 2007
Finally got iOS 6 beta downloaded. Only thing I see so far is auto-brightness doesn't have any effect when on.

badge

Bronze
Feb 23, 2009
Bristol UK
are these people offering slots on there dev account for money legit or should they be avoided, anyone do it for free?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I am installing it right now. Good gawd it feels like I barely got to know 5.1.1 jailbroken and am giving it up. Whaaaaaaa lol.

I really wish Apple would have included pop-up iMessage/SMS replies. That is about the one thing I really want to jb for. On the other hand, and maybe it is just me, but iMessage seems to lock-up my iPhone all the freaking time. This happened before jailbreaking and seems to have started when I first used the Messaging beta app on my macs. That seems to have forever messed up iMessage, even if I am completely logged out of it on the macs. Fingers crossed that is fixed on 6.0 beta 1 (if it is I will gladly give up BiteSMS). I couldn't even take an important call today as my iPhone was locked up while it was ringing.

Michael

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Just installed it.... my issues with iMessage are now gone. That alone was worth it. So far am loving it. Really like that Siri knows about sports now.

Overall seems "snappier." Checking out maps now. I use Navigon and Mapquest so don't generally "need" the stock Maps app but it will be nice to see what they have done.

Michael

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I'm liking it so far too, after only a very short while with it. Siri disappointed on my first sports question. Asked her about NBA games tonight and NBA finals and could only get scores from last Saturday. I'll try saying 'linguisa' soon.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
OK I love the new Maps app! For one thing, the data for my area is about 5x cleaner than I got from the old Google-based maps. I understand this is likely area-specific but so far every area I tried (SW USA) seems clearer when zoomed all of the way in.

Also, when in navigation mode I like that you can swipe the street-sign indicator on top to see the next/previous leg of the trip. I drove to Huntington Beach, CA from AZ over the weekend and this would have helped. Although Navigon lets me see a list of turns, I don't generally get a "map feel" for it, for lack of a better term. I like the ability to run through the route visually in order to get a better feel for the trip. This works well for that.

EDIT: Good thing I do like the new Maps app as Navigon is not working for me on 6.0.

Michael

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I'm liking it so far too, after only a very short while with it. Siri disappointed on my first sports question. Asked her about NBA games tonight and NBA finals and could only get scores from last Saturday. I'll try saying 'linguisa' soon.
Have not tried basketball but I just asked her "what was the score of the last Yankee's game" and "when do the Yanks play again" with good results (box score for last game, nice graphic for upcoming game). Oh, also asked "When are the Yankees games this week" and she gave me a listing from today through sunday, using the nice graphic (showing where they play. Also did "who won the stanley cup" for grins. She answered correctly--again with a nice graphic.

Also like that Siri can finally launch apps without needing a jb! :)

Edit: I should note I shouldn't have needed to ask Siri as the yanks were already playing and At Bat 2012 should have already notified me of that fact. Hmmm.... have to check on notifications.

Michael

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Oh, hate to keep inundating this thread but THANK GOD there is finally a way to turn off all notifications at once. Nothing like showing someone something on the iPhone and then getting a cascade of notifications.

Michael

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I like that the App Store no longer boots you out when you tap to install an app, and instead shows the install progress bar while you stay on the App Store page.

More on Siri - she did great when I asked about Prometheus and local showtimes.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
OK I love the new Maps app! For one thing, the data for my area is about 5x cleaner than I got from the old Google-based maps. I understand this is likely area-specific but so far every area I tried (SW USA) seems clearer when zoomed all of the way in.

Also, when in navigation mode I like that you can swipe the street-sign indicator on top to see the next/previous leg of the trip. I drove to Huntington Beach, CA from AZ over the weekend and this would have helped. Although Navigon lets me see a list of turns, I don't generally get a "map feel" for it, for lack of a better term. I like the ability to run through the route visually in order to get a better feel for the trip. This works well for that.

EDIT: Good thing I do like the new Maps app as Navigon is not working for me on 6.0.

Michael
Does the map app offer options to avoid certain travel ways and also tell it your mode of transportation?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Does the map app offer options to avoid certain travel ways and also tell it your mode of transportation?
No way to avoid certain travel ways. Indeed when I tested it to Huntington Beach again all three suggested routes involved toll roads. It does have an icon for walking, automobile, and train/bus but tapping train/bus only takes you to a list of apps that do that kind of routing (presumably: no apps show for me when I try it).

This will not replace the navigation apps like TomTom, etc. But at least it does turn-by-turn and the ability to go through the route visually. I use Navigon but often jumped over to Maps for various reasons. I think I will jump over to it more often now. But no way can it replace Navigon for me--if only for speed warnings (well, a feature that would be much more useful if it didn't force you to choose by 5MPH increments).

Michael

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
No way to avoid certain travel ways. Indeed when I tested it to Huntington Beach again all three suggested routes involved toll roads. It does have an icon for walking, automobile, and train/bus but tapping train/bus only takes you to a list of apps that do that kind of routing (presumably: no apps show for me when I try it).

This will not replace the navigation apps like TomTom, etc. But at least it does turn-by-turn and the ability to go through the route visually. I use Navigon but often jumped over to Maps for various reasons. I think I will jump over to it more often now. But no way can it replace Navigon for me--if only for speed warnings (well, a feature that would be much more useful if it didn't force you to choose by 5MPH increments).

Michael
Thanks! That news is disappointing. Let's hope they add those features in the final product.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Thanks! That news is disappointing. Let's hope they add those features in the final product.
I think there is very little chance of that happening. It's mainly a map app, with directions--and now turn-by-turn directions--as a bonus. It is not going to compete, navigation-wise, with the robust navigation apps out there.

Heck even the "map" part needs work. By map I mean the non-satellite map view: it seems very anemic right now, compared to the old Google-based Maps app. Now this part, I do expect to improve. Hopefully. :)

Michael