For those of you that enjoy the Kindle app on your iPad: BOHICA.

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
(That's the acronym for Bend Over, Here It Comes Again)

I try not to view all corporations as money-hungry, sell their mother's soul to make a buck, groups of people. I believe in making as much money as you want as long as you do it fairly and don't take advantage of your customers in order to do it. Apple is about to show again, no matter what its granola-like, anti-corporation-hero roots may have been, that it is now one of the top dogs when bending people to its will.

Like many of you, I enjoy being able to read my Kindle books on my iPad. Like the iPhone, the inclusion of this app allows me to carry one device and do most things with it. I only turn my Kindle on now when reading out in the sun. Apple, however, may soon be forcing me, and all Kindle app users to either pay more for the Kindle books read on the iPad, no longer have the Kindle app available for the iPad, or force Amazon to basically make no profit at all for the sale of Kindle books purchased on the iPad.

http://www.tecca.com/news/2011/02/03/apple-sets-deadline-for-amazons-kindle-app-to-change/

This really bugs me. Apple will basically once again be pulling the "Conform or Else" card and really only we the readers or Amazon have anything to lose in this deal (I don't think Amazon is any better morally than Apple, BTW. They are both cut from similar cloth).

I'm very curious to see how this all plays out. Again I don't begrudge Apple making a fair profit. But in this case, if Amazon just decides to say, "Screw it, no more Kindle app for the iPad," Apple doesn't lose anything. It's those of us that really enjoy using the iPad to read our Kindle material that lose out. Then we again would have to carry around an extra device which we currently don't have to. I think Apple knows how much this app is used (and others like it) and realizes that the likelihood is that these companies will cave and give in to Apple.

Now I know there are going to be comments along the lines of, "Hey, It's Apples product, they can do what they want with it." No argument there. It's sort of a bait and switch, however, to let your customers get used to using a product like the iPad and then, once they're hooked, to change the rules of the game. That's not showing a whole lot of respect for your customers.

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
How does Apple make money with apps that are free? I hope this will not come about. I read a lot of books on my ipad including ones that are epub that I can download from my local library for free.
It's not the app itself that Apple makes money on, it's downloadable content within the app that Apple gets 30% of. And we're talking specifically about Kindle here, not other electronic readers, although this will affect Nook or any other apps that currently allow you to go to the net from within the app to have content transferred to your iPad. Content as of March 31 will have to be purchased from within the apps which makes them liable for the 30% Apple fee.

Shuflie

Dec 30, 2010
Maybe they (Amazon) will do something allong the lines of letting you buy content via your kindle (or the website) as normal but then if you want to transfer to the iPad charge a transfer fee which Apple can take a 100% cut of. I can't see any other way of it working unless they give Apple 30% of all their past sales to allow content already purchased onto the iPad version. If they (Apple) pull the kindle app from the store and have some method of removing it from devices which have already downloaded it, or stopping the current version from downloading, I'm sure the European competition commission will have a closer look at just how Apple operate.