EDIT: On 9/8/07 I made these instructions even easier by suggesting the use of AppTap Installer instead of iBrickr. It really doesn't get any easier than this...
I realize that this isn't the iPhone Mods forum, but I'm gearing this thread at those who would never go there because they think that modding is either a waste of time, too dangerous, or dishonest/illegal.
of all, it is not a waste of time. Look how easy this is. Go here
and download AppTap Installer, run it with your iPhone plugged into your computer, and let it install itself onto your iPhone. Once you're done, you will a new widget on your iPhone's homescreen called "Installer". All you have to do is touch it, pick any application offered in the menu, and it will download it directly to your phone via Wifi/EDGE. All Applications appear as widgets right on your homescreen - you don't need to use the Internet to use them. Let me tell you, there are some great third party applications being offered, they're all free, and this is just the beginning. MANY more great applications will come, especially with the new iPhone price cut.
Here are some examples of what a modded iPhone can do so far*:
- Make any song into a ringtone or email any of your songs to an email address right from your phone (Download "SendSong" via Installer)
- Play Nintendo on your phone (Download "NES" via Installer, google "nes roms" to find roms, and then use iBrickr to install the roms)
- Play Dance Dance Revolution on your phone, except use your fingers! Very funny and very cool. (Download "Tap Tap Revolution" via Installer)
- Make voice recordings. You can also email them to yourself from your phone. (Download "VNotes" via Installer)
- Use a To Do list to shop for groceries or whatever. (Download "ToDoList" via Installer)
- Change the order of your widgets on your springboard. (Download "rSBT" via Installer)
- Put ebooks on your phone and read them with finger scrolling. (Download "Books" via Installer)
- Use your iPhone as a flashlight. (Download "iLight" via Installer)
- Browse all the files on your phone, copy, edit, or move them. (Download "Finder" via Installer)
- Change the background on your homescreen to match your wallpaper, and allow scrolling on the homescreen when you have more than 16 widgets. (Download "SummerBoard" via Installer)
- Use your finger to draw, shake your phone to erase, like an etch-a-sketch. (Download "Sketches" via Installer)
- Try and catch butterflies by tipping your phone back and forth! Very cool and a great indicator of future awesome games. (Download "Butterfly" via Installer)
- Play BlackJack, Minesweeper, TicTacToe, Lights Out, and others.
- Easily change any system sound on your phone, such as your SMS alert, Mail alert, or anything else (Use iBrickr to do this)
- Change the look of your icons, the color of your text bubbles, or battery charging, or anything. Simply use iBrickr.
- And obviously, much more, and much more to come.
*To be able to see all of these apps in Installer, make sure you install "Community Sources" first. It's in the Installer app.
Updates are as easy as clicking on Installer and downloading the update.
, modding is not dangerous at all. If for some crazy reason you are worried about "bricking" your phone, just make sure you sync your phone right before you mod. Then if you mess up, you can just restore and resync to get your phone back to where you started. All your contacts, alarms, calendar appts, notes, all settings, etc. are backed up when you sync.
NOTE: I have never heard of anyone messing their phone up from modding to the point where they needed to restore. It's a very streamlined and fully functional process.
For those worried about losing everything every time you have to update
, all you have to do is this:
1. Say "No" to the update for now.
2. Sync your phone. All your contacts, alarms, calendar appts, notes, all settings, etc. will be backed up. Make sure you copy your camera roll to your computer as that is the only thing that is not backed up.
3. Restore your phone.
4. Update your phone.
5. Sync your phone again. All your contacts, alarms, calendar appts, notes, all settings, etc. will be put back on.
6. Remod it. (Remember, it only takes 2 minutes). You'll need to redownload all those third party apps, but it will take you less than 5 minutes. You simply click them all again in Installer, they will download right away, and be right back on your homescreen.
, modding is not dishonest or illegal. If Apple found out, they would simply frown and warn that you are voiding your warranty. If you don't want them to know, just sync and restore before you go to the Apple store and they will never know. If the police found out, I promise you they wouldn't care at all. There's a user here named iCop who is in fact a cop, and he has modded his phone. "Hacking" has gotten a very bad connotation over the years because it CAN lead to illegal activity. But modding or hacking in and of itself is not illegal.
I hope in posting this, that I have converted someone to want to mod their phone. I loved my iPhone before, but ever since I modded it, I have been having twice as much fun. It really, really is worth the two minute painless hassle of downloading AppTap Installer and following the easy instructions.
Plus it saves you from being swindled by Apple into purchasing ringtones for songs your already own. Please, PLEASE, don't support them for this. It really is robbery - you own the song, and you have the right to use it as a ringtone without paying any extra money. End of story.