Free add custom ringtones to iPhone

ftobe

Aug 1, 2007
Doesn't work!

100% GUARANTEE
Here is the method to add you own custom ringtones to your iPhone.

I did exactly what it says but (1) it doesn't show up in the iPhone ringtones section even though it shows up in the Library ringtones section, and (2) I get an error referencing the ringtone's name and saying that it was not copied because it cannot be played on this iPhone.

?

100% guarantee?

Help me if you can.

Thanks.

saaber

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
100% GUARANTEE
Here is the method to add you own custom ringtones to your iPhone.

I did exactly what it says but (1) it doesn't show up in the iPhone ringtones section even though it shows up in the Library ringtones section, and (2) I get an error referencing the ringtone's name and saying that it was not copied because it cannot be played on this iPhone.

?

100% guarantee?

Help me if you can.

Thanks.
You are probably using something newer than iTunes 7.4.0 right? If so, you can downgrade to 7.4.0 and it will work, or you can try the more complicated workarounds for the newer iTunes. Cleverboy, the one who originally came up with this free ringtone process, has more info. on how to do it with newer iTunes versions here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=351495&page=15

you'll have to go back a couple pages to find it probably. There are other places with workarounds for 7.4.2 also but I trust cleverboy.

Ignore that 100% guarantee thing. That was from someone who posted the ringtone process as if he created it himself (poser) and he probably knows nothing about it. Go to the source, cleverboy at macrumors.

saaber

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
Does anyone have a link to a download of 7.4.2 (3)?
7.4.2 is the current version. If you are looking to downgrade to the version that allows easy ringtone solutions you want to go back to 7.4.0. Don't know if that is what you were looking for or not.

Also, posting a link to a site that supplies 7.4.0 is against the forum rules I think, so you probably want to give an email address for someone to send the link to you or ask for a pm.?

saaber

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
(1) Just looked at cleverboys blog site:

http://weblog.xanga.com/gryphondwb/615474010/iphone-ringtones---what-did-itunes-741-really-do.html

and he says 7.4.2 closed the door on that particular ringtone workaround.

(2) I still say just stick with 7.4.0 because the upgrades beyond don't do anything beneficial yet. May be a problem when 1.1.1 firmware update comes out though.

(3) I wish Apple would make more songs available as ring tones. Are they just milking the labels that they have insider deals with or what?

ftobe

Aug 1, 2007
Thanks . . . but it still doesn't work

Now it shows up in the iPhone's ringtones section but grayed out. And it's not really on my iPhone ringtone area so I can't select it.

And it still does NOT show up in the Ringtones sync section - which is blank.

?

Thanks.

SuperDave

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Ok I am having so many problems with this. Most of my songs come up with this when I try to convert: "Song Name could not be converted because protected files cannot be converted to other formats." What's the deal here?

Also, when I do convert a random song to AAC format and then change the extension to .m4r, it does not show up in the ringtone section. It did it once and then deleted the song.

Any suggestions?

KTran

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
TX
won't work for me ...

could it be that most of my songs are 160 kbps or higher?

i even picked out a song under 3.1 mb and still won't work.

plays in iTunes but doesn't show in ringtone folder even after conversion to .m4r

liltiger28

Oct 4, 2007
cali
ok ive done all the steps, got them on the ringtones section of iTunes, when i sync, it says its updating my files with the ringtones, but they never come on my phone? anyway i can fix this? do i have to restore my phone?

javajack

Sep 27, 2007
Why can't I get this to work

I've converted AAC's to .m4r yet they don't show up as ringtones. I deleted original aac's, restarted iTunes, hooked up iPhone again. What could I be doing wrong to create these ringtones.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jack Tunnicliffe

javajack

Sep 27, 2007
protected

Okay, why do the files show up as protected. What application protects them? iTunes when you convert to aac?

tanderson1988

Jul 7, 2007
Hmm.... I have the latest updated version of iTunes and I cannot get the ringtones to work. I select a song and change the format to AAC by right clicking. I then go into the iTunes music folder, find the song, and change the song to a ringtone by typing a "r" where the "a' used to be in m4a. Now that the file is in ringtone form, I put it in a ringtone folder. The file still does not show up in the "Ringtone" section on iTunes. Help, please.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Does Not Work With New Version Of iTunes

You guys are gonna have to do more research on this. It's posted on all the relevant websites for weeks, that custom ringtones are impossible with the latest version of iTunes. Like I said before, I would recommend version 7.4.1 or earlier, and then try the different methods to get it to work.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I am actually getting a message that iTunes did not copy the ringtones because it cannot support that (m4r) file type.
iTunes 7.4.1.2 with iPhone1.1.1