Good News: Downgrade to 1.0.2

thesheikh

Sep 16, 2007
hey i need fukn help
i tried this method just now like 7 or 8 times and everything seemed to work great
but then my phone still says incorrect sim
wtf
i need help...
if anybody wants to help email me at dasheikh@gmail.com
thanks

durkadurka

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
hey i need fukn help
i tried this method just now like 7 or 8 times and everything seemed to work great
but then my phone still says incorrect sim
wtf
i need help...
if anybody wants to help email me at dasheikh@gmail.com
thanks
Was your phone locked or unlocked?

If unlocked this method won't work for you until the baseband can be downgraded.

thesheikh

Sep 16, 2007
Was your phone locked or unlocked?

If unlocked this method won't work for you until the baseband can be downgraded.
ye
but heres the thing
i used anySIM
and when i tried using it ablut 4 times because errors
1. the first time it said could not find patch to baseband
2. same thing
---then did restore
3.could not dump nor
4. cound not dump nor
---restored phone about 9 times
then i quit
lol

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Been following all the threads on this, here, hackint0sh.org, iPhone.fiveforty.net/wiki, etc. Very exciting development and apparently the initial credit goes to somebody named Kmac who apparently got at least part of his info from a techie at Apple he was on the phone with ("Apple phone support told me to put my phone in restore mode"). I find it ironic that this was the initial "trickle" source after all the effort Apple seemed to take to block 3PA's. Wondering if this was a "slip-up" by the Apple techie.

Regardless, it's a great development for those that love the 3PA's (myself included), but I find myself just a bit nervous to give this a shot just yet, after having jumped the gun the other day with the 1.1.1 upgrade. Certainly many of us were thinking that even if we upgraded to 1.1.1, we could always go back to 1.0.2 without much difficulty if that didn't work out; especially after those initial mistaken posts that we could.

My phone has been really boring the last few days, and I really want to try this as I'm mostly confident it does work after all the confirmations. I'm still just a bit nervous though. Tinman, you especially have earned a lot of credibility around here (IMHO), and that seems to give me the greatest level of confidence along with the DEV Team's blessing. I could care less about the Wi-FiTunes, the double-tap period space, and the other so-called Apple upgrades.

So, as soon as I can build up the nerve to do this, I'll be giving it a shot. Wish me well. I sure wish I had one of you that's done this successfuly already sitting here next to me though. :p

BTW, I have locked AT&T iPhone, previously modded with apptap and iBrickr, now currently running 1.1.1 and 2.4.3.1 iTunes, WindowsXP.
OK, with that setup it seems you should be good to go, assuming you meant 7.4.3.1 for iTunes.

If you are not going to upgrade to 1.0.2 right away, I suggest not updating iTunes any time in the near future (or ever, before seeing what ramifications it has). Also, I would secure the ROM update files in case Apple yanks them. Actually you should have them right now in:
"C:\Documents and Settings\your user account\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates"

The file needed to go back to 1.0.2 is: iPhone1,1_1.0.2_1C28_Restore.ipsw, and it should be the exact same version of the file available for download--till Apple yanks or changes it. I did download it, but binary compared it to the file in the above folder--at they were identical.

Also, I have figured out why it might be important for anyone, with 3rd party apps or just jailbreaked for ringtones, that did not completely restore to 1.0.2 when going to 1.1.1 to downgrade:

Apple has deliberatly left existing existing files and folders that might have been added by jailbreak or 3rd party apps on the iPhone when updating to 1.1.1. This is in contrast to all previous restores (1.0, 1.0.1, and 1.0.2) where these files were erased as part of the update.

It is my opinion that Apple left these files in place so that they could easily check if jailbreak or third-party apps were ever installed. There have been reports of Apple employees doing just that--all they do is plug in the iPhone and have a peak (apparently with some sort of checklist provided by Apple).

So if you are in this situation I would not ever let Apple look at your iPhone until you have downgraded to 1.0.2, and then re-updated to 1.1.1. At that point, assuming you didn't actually unlock the phone too, there will be no forensic evidence of 3rd party apps.

Can't believe it has come to this.

BTW: I have no problems with the baseband being newer than it was when I previously had 1.0.2. Since it's unlikely that I will ever unlock the phone, I will definitely wait to see what the ramification are with installing it before doing anything. Worst case scenario I can update back to 1.1.1 if I need to take it into Apple for any reason (though I can't see why they could complain--yes I can, I believe they are capable of anything now).

--
Mike

durkadurka

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
Really?

Some people were saying wifi wasn't working.

If the phone is fully functional I am downgrading right now.

yay

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Really?

Some people were saying wifi wasn't working.

If the phone is fully functional I am downgrading right now.

yay
WiFi works just fine. Everything works fine--certainly better than 1.1.1. Ironically I think it was the guy who discovered this trick, KMAP, who had trouble with WiFi.

So assuming, besides just locking out unlocks, the baseband is improved in the 1.1.1 update it might make sense to just leave it.

This in no way means that the devs won't figure out how to downgrade the baseband--I have little doubt that they will. But I believe that is of more concern to people who unlocked, and not just jailbreaked.

--
Mike

durkadurka

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
WiFi works just fine. Everything works fine--certainly better than 1.1.1. Ironically I think it was the guy who discovered this trick, KMAP, who had trouble with WiFi.

So assuming, besides just locking out unlocks, the baseband is improved in the 1.1.1 update it might make sense to just leave it.

This in no way means that the devs won't figure out how to downgrade the baseband--I have little doubt that they will. But I believe that is of more concern to people who unlocked, and not just jailbreaked.

--
Mike
Makes perfect sense.

Thanks!

SpongebObiWan

Bronze
Aug 25, 2007
OK, with that setup it seems you should be good to go, assuming you meant 7.4.3.1 for iTunes.

If you are not going to upgrade to 1.0.2 right away, I suggest not updating iTunes any time in the near future (or ever, before seeing what ramifications it has). Also, I would secure the ROM update files in case Apple yanks them. Actually you should have them right now in:
"C:\Documents and Settings\your user account\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates"

The file needed to go back to 1.0.2 is: iPhone1,1_1.0.2_1C28_Restore.ipsw, and it should be the exact same version of the file available for download--till Apple yanks or changes it. I did download it, but binary compared it to the file in the above folder--at they were identical.

Also, I have figured out why it might be important for anyone, with 3rd party apps or just jailbreaked for ringtones, that did not completely restore to 1.0.2 when going to 1.1.1 to downgrade:

Apple has deliberatly left existing existing files and folders that might have been added by jailbreak or 3rd party apps on the iPhone when updating to 1.1.1. This is in contrast to all previous restores (1.0, 1.0.1, and 1.0.2) where these files were erased as part of the update.

It is my opinion that Apple left these files in place so that they could easily check if jailbreak or third-party apps were ever installed. There have been reports of Apple employees doing just that--all they do is plug in the iPhone and have a peak (apparently with some sort of checklist provided by Apple).

So if you are in this situation I would not ever let Apple look at your iPhone until you have downgraded to 1.0.2, and then re-updated to 1.1.1. At that point, assuming you didn't actually unlock the phone too, there will be no forensic evidence of 3rd party apps.

Can't believe it has come to this.

BTW: I have no problems with the baseband being newer than it was when I previously had 1.0.2. Since it's unlikely that I will ever unlock the phone, I will definitely wait to see what the ramification are with installing it before doing anything. Worst case scenario I can update back to 1.1.1 if I need to take it into Apple for any reason (though I can't see why they could complain--yes I can, I believe they are capable of anything now).
--
Mike
Yes, I meant 7.4.3.1...typo. I've set my iTunes to NOT automatically check for updates. And I won't update ANYTHING "rashly" as I did this last time. I've learned my lesson.

I've also downloaded and saved on my desktop the ROM update file and I'm aware of where it also resides in my iPhone Software Updates directory. I also expect Apple might yank them. I too compared the downloaded file to the one in my Update directory, just to be sure.

And yes, I suspected there might be some residual files left over on my phone if I did not first completely restore to 1.0.2 before "downgrading" to 1.1.1. Therefore I did. Actually, it was somewhat due to that "fear factor" that I rushed to completely restore to 1.0.2, then "downgrade" to 1.1.1.

I am just a bit unclear still, about some reports of this process ending up with the Activation screen showing on the iPhone and confusion about what to do at that point.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I am just a bit unclear still, about some reports of this process ending up with the Activation screen showing on the iPhone and confusion about what to do at that point.
Hmmm, the only reports I have heard about that were people that already had that problem after updating to 1.1.1 (with a locked phone or not--some people got hosed by the update even though they didn't have locked phones). Do you know of any confirmed reports of people that do not fit into that category getting that message after going to 1.0.2?

--
Mike

durkadurka

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
The iPhone could not be restored

And it shows the new restore screen, not the triangle

I guess I will try again

durkadurka

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
Again
I extract and it just says "the iPhone could not be restored. an unknown error occurred. I never get the iPhone to the yellow triangle.

What am I doing wrong?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Again
I extract and it just says "the iPhone could not be restored. an unknown error occurred. I never get the iPhone to the yellow triangle.

What am I doing wrong?
It sounds like you are not following the "10 seconds" part of the directions correctly. Holding down both buttons, and then releasing the power button at the right time, whilst still holding down the menu button, is the crucial--the most crucial--aspect of this process.

--
Mike

durkadurka

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
It sounds like you are not following the "10 seconds" part of the directions correctly. Holding down both buttons, and then releasing the power button at the right time, whilst still holding down the menu button, is the crucial--the most crucial--aspect of this process.

--
Mike
Yeah
I was holding them for too long and allowing it to go into full restore mode. I missed the part where I want the screen blank.

GP1138

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
I seriously don't get what was so great about any of the changes I made. It was a bit entertaining, but still dull.
And IMO, that's just fine for you. As long as you don't come on here and give me crap for liking the modifications to my phone. I use the NES app every day. I use Stumbler every day. I use Sketches quite often. I love the custom themes that are out. And that's just fine for me.

You have every right to enjoy your iPhone the way you want it, as do I.

tonyj81

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
VA Beach
Since im newer to the iPhone and the jail breaking, will ill be able to revert using most recent version of iTunes, replaced my desktop with a albtop opther day so i had to reinstall iTunes.