Good PC tune-up software?

computerfox

Zealot
Gold
Oct 2, 2009
New Jersey
www.abelgancsos.com
I've installed norton 2011 on a wide variety of systems, and haven't experienced any more problems caused by it than any other security software. The whole point of good security software is to keep an eye on things while they are running. Norton is not the only program to do this, and yes, of course it does take up a bit of processor time and memory. But in my experience, it is very transparent - even on slightly older hardware. If your last experience with Norton was its 2006-era products, I suggest you take another look at them.
here i'll agree with you because i haven't taken a look at the newer one, but from the older one, yes, that was a mess...

computerfox

Zealot
Gold
Oct 2, 2009
New Jersey
www.abelgancsos.com
Sorry, but most of that is quite amateur and misleading advice.

1. Your statement on defrag is just plain wrong.
2. Which types of software? Malware Bytes is one of those recommended above and it is not malware. And you may want to learn to spell the word.
3. That's a very limited bit of tweak advice for Vista. And go back to XP is one of your options - seriously?
4. I don't think you can offer that as an across-the-board recommendation. Norton may well be the right solution for some people.

I'd be curious to know what your qualifications are for offering advice and videos on topics like this.
you're kidding me right?

i'm going to school for it and i also have knowledge of software and code.

i want to know what are your qualifications for giving me a hard time :)

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I've installed norton 2011 on a wide variety of systems, and haven't experienced any more problems caused by it than any other security software. The whole point of good security software is to keep an eye on things while they are running. Norton is not the only program to do this, and yes, of course it does take up a bit of processor time and memory. But in my experience, it is very transparent - even on slightly older hardware. If your last experience with Norton was its 2006-era products, I suggest you take another look at them.
Exactly. I use Norton Internet Security 2011 and love it. I find it very unobtrusive and it updates every few minutes. Some of the other advice is suspect as well.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
that was a joke, right?
that's a good point...
really? what processor do you have? do you know if they changed the scanning process? they probably didn't. my biggest issue with norton is that everything has to run through it before executing. this causes a delay in the execution, but burns up short term memory because even though the program didn't open, norton is still running full speed, eating up the RAM. that being said, if he has anything lower than a core duo or core 2 duo, his computer will end up crashing.
a tweak is considered whenever you change something to the system configuration. for example, boot up programs and also the features that run, once you are logged in.
Thank you for admitting that and not dragging it on and around in circles for days.
I have run Norton on computers without duo core processors and they didn't crash.
Wasn't that already suggested?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
That was a reference to what happened in the Darwin OS thread. I just appreciated that you admitted you were wrong about the fragmentation.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
1-really? so when you defrag you can notice a speed up? highly unlikely
2-you misunderstood me. i'm a malewarebytes fan, what i was refering to is the fact that a lot of those tune up programs cause those malware software which need to be removed with malwarebytes
3-yes
4-agreed! i'm not saying they need to choose the anti-virus programs i advised, but what i am saying a possible crashing if you are on older machines

don't just flat out say that i'm wrong or i don't know my stuff (y)
especially if you misunderstood my point....
You said above that defrag just "reorganizes the system files". That's just flat-out wrong. Google it.

Recommending that someone go back to an outdated, unsupported OS is not exactly quality advice.

Based on your tweaks video and your comments here, I'm just not getting the impression you know any of these subjects well enough to be giving someone advice. That's why I asked about what your qualifications are.

Mine are that I've worked for 15+ years doing tech support, network engineer, and network management jobs - and supported Windows desktops and servers for many years.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
you're kidding me right?

Meh. Have you ever written a single line of code in school, though? ;)

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
you're kidding me right?

I didn't see this reply before posting my last one.

I wasn't kidding at all. It's great that you're going to school for this stuff, but it looks and sounds to me like you are at the beginning of your learning, not yet an expert who should be offering advice on topics you don't know well.

My qualifications for questioning you, not trying to give you a hard time, are these:

-- 15+ years in tech support, network management, network security, and IT consultant roles.

-- My first job involved doing support directly for Microsoft and I spent three months training at their European HQ.

-- I've worked as a network manager for a major international hotel chain - supporting 500 users on site and 230 hotels round the world.

-- I've worked as a network engineer at Unisys on major enterprise and government accounts.

-- I've got MCSE, CCNA, CEH, and a number of other job-related tech certifications.

And I know what defrag does.

Reactions: iphonewarrior

computerfox

Zealot
Gold
Oct 2, 2009
New Jersey
www.abelgancsos.com
I didn't see this reply before posting my last one.

I wasn't kidding at all. It's great that you're going to school for this stuff, but it looks and sounds to me like you are at the beginning of your learning, not yet an expert who should be offering advice on topics you don't know well.

My qualifications for questioning you, not trying to give you a hard time, are these:

-- 15+ years in tech support, network management, network security, and IT consultant roles.

-- My first job involved doing support directly for Microsoft and I spent three months training at their European HQ.

-- I've worked as a network manager for a major international hotel chain - supporting 500 users on site and 230 hotels round the world.

-- I've worked as a network engineer at Unisys on major enterprise and government accounts.

-- I've got MCSE, CCNA, CEH, and a number of other job-related tech certifications.

And I know what defrag does.
Did you get those after a bs? How come?

I know technology is a vast area and I also know that there are many ways to fix a problem but to me it doesn't seem like the best way to fill up a computer with more programs that kill ram and CPU usage. For some people, norton is great and yes my only experience is with the old one so I can't really say anything about the newer one, but what I can say is that whenever I look at a p4 with norton, it struggles to boot up and whey program takes forever to load even after my "amateur" tweaks.

I know I can learn a lot from you, but from the feedback I get from my clients and from others I know I know computers and I wish you could give me some slack.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I wish we could too, but the fact is you don't deserve it.

Do you really not understand why certifications are necessary after getting a degree?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I know you're just giving me a hard time because of the other thread but can you please stop. Yes I have and you know that
I'm just going from what you said in the Darwin thread, which is CS is a dying major, CS students don't write a single line of code in school and the degree and certifications are as worthless as toilet paper.

I have a brother who is a programmar, so I know a little bit about it and I tend to disagree with what you said.

I'm giving you a hard time because what you said is absurd, you sometimes give bad advice and I very rarely see you admit it when you're wrong. So, I appreciated it when you said "that's a good point" and I thanked you for it.

computerfox

Zealot
Gold
Oct 2, 2009
New Jersey
www.abelgancsos.com
I'm just going from what you said in the Darwin thread, which is CS is a dying major, CS students don't write a single line of code in school and the degree and certifications are as worthless as toilet paper.

I have a brother that's a programmar, so I know a little bit about it and I tend to disagree with what you said.

I'm giving you a hard time because what you said is absurd, you sometimes give bad advice and I very rarely see you admit it when you're wrong. So, I appreciated it when you said "that's a good point" and thanked you for it.
<sarcastic> thanks</sarcastic>

Everyone gives what people might view as bad advice sometimes and I don't see them getting a hard time.