Good PC tune-up software?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I know I can learn a lot from you, but from the feedback I get from my clients and from others I know I know computers and I wish you could give me some slack.
I'm not trying to have a go at you personally. I just think, as the saying goes, a little knowledge can be dangerous. It's great that you're studying and I'm sure you do know some useful things - but again, nothing you've said in this thread or in your linked YT video, indicates that you have sufficient knowledge to dive in and give advice on this subject.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
My fault illusion. I'll just leave.

no thanks needed for this post
Fox, no one has had a go, if anything they've just tried to push you in the right direction, to clarify points made so future readers don't make mistakes. No requirement to post in White either :)

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
A good defrag with diskeeper will help a lot and cleaning the registry with something like CCleaner will help too. I always change my virtual memory to the max. Not sure if it helps but I do it anyway ;). Add more RAM. Not too much cause it'll stop making a difference after so much RAM is installed.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I subscribe to the cleaning the registry is asking for trouble theory.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I feel obligated at this point to mention that Microsoft Security Essentials is a GREAT free solution for real-time malware protection. Microsoft actually did well there. I'd definitely go with MSE before Avast or AVG. If something gets by it, clean it up with MalwareBytes.

CCleaner is really the only program I'd trust to do anything with the registry because it's so cautious.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
^ Is there any maintenance that you do on a Mac? Do you use AppleJack?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
don't really do much. maybe once every few months i'll check disk and permissions in disk utility. maybe a couple times a year i'll defrag my main storage volume and manually peruse my OSX volume for any abnormally large files.

I mainly subscribe to the "if it ain't broke..." mantra.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
I haven't done any kind of cleaning on my Mac since I bought it 3 years ago. I didn't even know that I needed to. still runs like new. Best investment ever.