Grown Men Crying :(

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I just got back from seeing the Jennifer Aniston movie Marley and Me. I must say I went to so a happy, light-hearted movie and ended up crying (make that bawling) for the last 30 minutes of the movie. But what made me cry even more was the everyone and I mean EVERYONE in the theatre was crying like you would not believe. I saw grown men straight out bawling. I have never seen anything like it. Just wanted to give a warning to anyone going to see it.:(

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Wow. That must be a pretty... touching movie.

But would you say it was a good movie?
It was a good movie, very true to life. I believe it was based on a true story, but I hate to cry in the movie theatre. It's embarrassing when the lights come on. But I wasn't alone today, the restroom was full after the movie with people trying to pull themselves together.

sherri

Dec 17, 2008
My kids have read the book. I will not go to ANY movie that I think/know has a depressing ending, no matter what it's reviews say! I go to the theater to escape the realities of life.;)

Give me Bedtime Stories any day! James Bond? Sure! Brian's Song? Not on your life!

My local newspaper (Long Island Newsday) warned about the ending to this movie. They said to leave in the last half hour, as soon as you see the dog "limping up the steps"...

Just needed to add my 2 cents worth!

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I just got back from seeing the Jennifer Aniston movie Marley and Me. I must say I went to so a happy, light-hearted movie and ended up crying (make that balling) for the last 30 minutes of the movie. But what made me cry even more was the everyone and I mean EVERYONE in the theatre was crying like you would not believe. I saw grown men straight out balling. I have never seen anything like it. Just wanted to give a warning to anyone going to see it.:(
I noticed the exact same thing Connie. I was sitting next to a 17/18 year old kid obviously on a date with some chick and he was crying his eyes out. Every now and then he would look over and I would just see him wiping the tears away. It was crazy.

I did enjoy the movie though.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Wow... I haven't seen a movie that made me cry since Click(oddly enough)... Maybe I'll go see this.
I saw Click with my mother and my aunt and both of them were balling. I didn't really like that movie though.

Connie, to answer your question from the other thread, no I did not. I did get a bit watery eyed for a couple of minutes but I held myself back from crying. I've endured quite a bit of loss this year so I tried to put the movie into perspective with everything else that has occurred and just willed myself not to cry. It wasn't necessarily easy.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
It was a good movie, very true to life. I believe it was based on a true story, but I hate to cry in the movie theatre. It's embarrassing when the lights come on. But I wasn't alone today, the restroom was full after the movie with people trying to pull themselves together.
Last time I cried in a movie theater was when I watched Schindler's List.
Jeez, I hate that!

Dustu2

Bronze
Jul 16, 2008
Houston, TX
Not to thread jack, but I really like your sig, Hondamaker... It reminds me of something that the Joker(in The Dark Knight) would say. Or rather, it would sound really good in that voice. But anyway...

Why didn't you like Click, Binks?

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Not to thread jack, but I really like your sig, Hondamaker... It reminds me of something that the Joker(in The Dark Knight) would say. Or rather, it would sound really good in that voice. But anyway...

Why didn't you like Click, Binks?
Man, Click was good!

monkeysrock0622

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
Wow I would have never expected it to end so sad....I still want to see it though. Ive never really cried during a movie, ive gotten a little teary-eyed but never cried. I kinda want to, just to prove that Im human. I guess I am just strong. I held back my tears when I went to this place called the Museum of Tolerance. It had TONS of horrible things back from the holocaust, including videos, stories like one guy having to kill his brother, etc.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I saw Click with my mother and my aunt and both of them were balling. I didn't really like that movie though.

Connie, to answer your question from the other thread, no I did not. I did get a bit watery eyed for a couple of minutes but I held myself back from crying. I've endured quite a bit of loss this year so I tried to put the movie into perspective with everything else that has occurred and just willed myself not to cry. It wasn't necessarily easy.
Believe me I tried to hold back, I even closed my eyes for awhile and tried to think of other things. Had I not been in the middle of the very crowded row I would have left. Sometimes it is almost painful to hold it in but I willed myself too.
Like Sherri said above, I like to escape reality when I go to a movie, I like to be entertained, not depressed, there is enough sadness in this world.

Oddly enough I saw Click for the first time earlier this week, they have been playing it like crazy this last week. It actually made me sad but I didn't really cry. I also saw The Bucket List this week for the first time and that made me shed a tear. But I think that sometimes animal stories for some reason tug so much at heartstrings because most people can relate to having had an animal they have really loved.

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
At least you didn't get screwed out of the National Championship game by some BullShit Big 12 tie breaking rules, and a BCS computer.

OK, sorry to hijack the dead puppy thread. I didn't read the book, b/c I don't like sad stories that involve dying dogs. Call me old fashioned. That fact they consumerized (my own word) the novel into a movie makes me sadder, and I am sure to not go. The wife wants to go, but I told her hell no. I ain't going into a situation where I know I can possibly end up crying after seeing a dog die. No way,.

lady_bugz22

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
DFW, TX
At least you didn't get screwed out of the National Championship game by some BullShit Big 12 tie breaking rules, and a BCS computer.

OK, sorry to hijack the dead puppy thread. I didn't read the book, b/c I don't like sad stories that involve dying dogs. Call me old fashioned. That fact they consumerized (my own word) the novel into a movie makes me sadder, and I am sure to not go. The wife wants to go, but I told her hell no. I ain't going into a situation where I know I can possibly end up crying after seeing a dog die. No way,.

Awww...I didn't know the dog dies....Tex, you're really ruining my day. First, rubbing in about Cowboys losing & now telling me the dog dies.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX

Totally agree with you.

This makes me think of Old Yeller and Where the Red Fern Grows.

I got choked up in both of those.

But they didn't have Jennifer Aniston either. Looking at her would at least cheer me back up.