GUIDE: Jailbreak iPhone 3G 2.0 (Windows)

iPhoning

Jul 15, 2008
This is from another forum:

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BACKUP OF YOUR PHONE
1. You need to download two files:
x12220000_4_Recovery.ipsw and iPhone1,2_2.0_5A347_Custom_Restore.ipsw. You can get both of them over here:
(LINK REMOVED NO LONGER WORKING)
2. Make sure you have iTunes 7.7 installed.
for vista: Click start then copy this into the search box and press enter after:
for XP: click start then run, then copy this into the run box:
Code:
%appdata%\Apple Computer\iTunes

3. Make a directory callled: Device Support
If it already exists, clear it.

4. copy x12220000_4_Recovery.ipsw into the Device Support folder you just created.

5. ok, you need to get your device into DFU mode. watch this video to see how:

6. Once your phone is in DFU mode and detected by iTunes (should be black screen on phone NOT iTunes logo with usb cable), click on iPhone in iTunes, then hold the SHIFT key and click on restore.

7. Browse to the folder where you downloaded iPhone1,2_2.0_5A347_Custom_Restore.ipsw and select it. iTunes will then extract the file and you will see the ipod dev team's pinApple logo pop up after a few seonds, like this:

8. when restoring has completed, it will ask you to connect to iTunes, then re-do the activation process (download carrier settings)

9. Restore your backup! this should automatically be made. it should pop up right after downloading carrier settings, but you may also do it by right clicking your iPhone on the left, and selecting "restore iPhone"

Use at your own risk. It worked for me!

Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Iphone777

Oct 1, 2007
Thank you for this guide! Any chance to post another custom 3g jailbroken ipsw file with the activate box unchecked in expert options in PwnageTool 2.0? I'm getting no service with this one after i restored with the image you had provided. Thanks again!

iPhoning

Jul 15, 2008
uhm sorry the firmware was not patched/made by me.. but it indeed works as I'm running an iPhone 3g JB with 2.0.. cydia is nice.

notoriousthug87

Bronze
Oct 6, 2007
Ive been waiting for the jailbreak since day one of the 3g release and I was wondering if anyone knew when or if the OFFICIAL WINDOWS VERSION is getting released by any other hacker eg.ziPhone winpwn....

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
Ive been waiting for the jailbreak since day one of the 3g release and I was wondering if anyone knew when or if the OFFICIAL WINDOWS VERSION is getting released by any other hacker eg.ziPhone winpwn....
Hackers are a proud and egoistical lot [yes, I'll take the flame for that statement]. There's always a thrill for them to say "I/we did it first" and unfortunately, the first is not always the simplest or best. Personally, I'll wait for the dust to settle - there's bound to be a few more (hopefully simpler) jailbreak hacks released in a few weeks or even days.

idle0095

Bronze
Mar 28, 2008
this don't work at all. iTunes cant even find the file because its not a .ipsw its a .zip file. waste of time once again

lilshyguy604

Jul 21, 2008
this don't work at all. iTunes cant even find the file because its not a .ipsw its a .zip file. waste of time once again
it's because you're not doing it right.
download the file and save it as .ipsw..

i found this on a different forum and tested it out. worked perfectly for my iPhone 3g.

deenybird

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
just performed on my new 3g, did hit 1 problem.
when it was syncing, iTunes deleted about 1/2 of my applications :(
they're not listed in iTunes, so i don't even know what i lost....

any advice?

idle0095

Bronze
Mar 28, 2008
im getting error 6 as well. right after it extracts the software the pineApple shows then it says error 6. iPhone 3g

itsnowornever

Bronze
Jul 20, 2008
Cali Baby!
it's because you're not doing it right.
download the file and save it as .ipsw..

i found this on a different forum and tested it out. worked perfectly for my iPhone 3g.

Crap....that woulda been nice to know! I downloaded it as a zip and extracted it....shoot....and it took like 2 hours to down load. :( Time to start again

Goallie11

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I upgraded and everything went well. However it only shows my phone to have a capacity of 2.96 gigs?! I've got a 4 gig and now I can't fit my music on it. Has anyone else encountered this? I want it to recognize all my free space :(

iPhoning

Jul 15, 2008
ok ok.

THIS IS ONLY FOR iPhone 3G! ... V1 will not work, hence why you tried it 5 times and had no luck. I have done this method 3 times all on iPhone 3g's (both white & black, 8gb and 16gb) and have not had one problem.

I too lost some of my apps when i jailbroke, but you can easily re-install from the AppStore.

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
I just jailbroke my 3G a few mins ago. I didn't lose any of my apps. It removed them when i restored, and got an error saying my puter wasn't authorized. So i just authorized it, and all my apps were restored.

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
Chris.Carter770 said:
Ok I'm lost starting out. I"m pretty sure if I can get the process started i'll be ok.
When i go to get the files it takes me to a page that shows:

Parent Directory -
Phone 3G Jailbreak...> 21-Jul-2008 16:57 19K
Phone.3G.Jailbreak.nzb 21-Jul-2008 16:57 129K

They do not appear to be x12220000_4_Recovery.ipsw and iPhone1,2_2.0_5A347_Custom_Restore.ipsw.

Someone please clarify
THanks
It's a torrent you have to download that has the two files. Now it looks like they have it for both mac and win.

Last edited by a moderator: