Guidelines To Help Improve Our Community

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
@chris at some point you posted (and recently, @Europa reminded me) that the forum software automatically corrects certain words that have a 99.9% chance of being a typo.

I just encountered a situation which I would like to recommend as a candidate to have auto-corrective measures implemented on it, so as to improve the quality of posts:

Screen Shot 2014-05-26 at 4.01.24 PM.png

Is there a way that a dash (and similar punctuation marks, where appropriate) could automatically be coded by the forum software with a non-breaking space before and after it? In the above situation, I would have preferred not to have the dash move to the beginning of the following line.

Alternately, is there a way that a user can manually insert a &nbsp character into his or her post?

This would also be nice in cases where a user has typed in a table (formatted to achieve columns simply with spaces) and he/she would prefer that the spaces not be eliminated after posting.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Is there a way that a dash (and similar punctuation marks, where appropriate) could automatically be coded by the forum software with a non-breaking space before and after it? In the above situation, I would have preferred not to have the dash move to the beginning of the following line.

Alternately, is there a way that a user can manually insert a &nbsp character into his or her post?

This would also be nice in cases where a user has typed in a table (formatted to achieve columns simply with spaces) and he/she would prefer that the spaces not be eliminated after posting.
Most of what has been implemented are spelling corrections. The coding doesn't allow for non-breaking spaces, nor the formatting you're requesting after a dash. Tables are still not available, which is just a limitation of the core board software.

Last edited:

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Most of what has been implemented are spelling corrections. The coding doesn't allow for non-breaking spaces, nor the formatting you're requesting after a dash. Tables are still not available, which is just a limitation of the core board software.
You mean this forum software won't wipe my butt for me and make me a grilled cheese sandwhich?

Lame.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
You mean this forum software won't wipe my butt for me and make me a grilled cheese sandwhich?

Lame.
Forgive me for the suggestion.

I saw that the forum was adding an apotrophe to words like "can't", so I figured the forum software was already into wiping butts and making grilled cheese sandwhiches. :D

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
That's cool, I realized I could kind of get around the limitation of tables not being available by using the (left bracket)code(right bracket) BBcode, which leaves my spacing intact. Thank you for your reply :)

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Forgive me for the suggestion.

I saw that the forum was adding an apotrophe to words like "can't", so I figured the forum software was already into wiping butts and making grilled cheese sandwhiches. :D
You're forgiven.

I consider all forum software to be abysmally stupid compared to what we'd like to see. I still like doing a little work for myself. :D

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Maybe his/her keyboard doesn't have the period key. Comma's will do just fine, as long as you use two at the end of each sentence.

Screen Shot 2014-07-26 at 11.44.58 AM.png

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I used the other worldly powers to find this thread where the OP had deleted the original question/post with this request to delete. How else would we find these corrected posts?

Screen Shot 2014-07-28 at 9.43.57 AM.png