Guns

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Ok, I'm a couple weeks from getting my tax refund, and I decided that since I already have my carry and conceal permit, it was time to get myself a handgun.
I have done a lot of research, and my tastes are slightly expensive, but I have settled on 2 guns.
H&K P30
or
SIG P228

I am pretty sure that I am getting the P30( I found an article where this firearms instructor has been doing a 100,000 rnd test. It's impressive), but my main question is more along the lines of which is better for home/personal protection? 9mm or .40S&W
Obviously I do know that the .40 is a larger round with a little more power, and the cost of ammunition between the 2 is almost negligible. What would you buy and why?

jtemple

Feb 19, 2009
Buy what you shoot the best and are the most comfortable carrying. If you don't like carrying it, you won't. I carry a Glock 27.

primsa

Bronze
Dec 12, 2007
Rockford Il.
I would buy the lightest and smallest 40 I could find. I currently have a Sig P229 40 but I would like something lighter.

Apple4me

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I have three Sigs and love them all. The Rolls Royce of the pistol world. I carry a Sig P232 .380. For home protection, have P220 .45 and P556 assault pistol. I also have a non sig 9mm which is very easy to shoot and holds 14 rounds, so it is in the home protection arsenal as well.

I don't know anything about H&K, but will give great props to Sig for building quality firearms that NEVER misfire.

I'm not sure why I never bought a .40 caliber? If I had to choose between any one of my pistols for home protection, it would be the .45 because that bad boy has some serious stopping power.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
See if a shop around you has a range, or if they will set up a range test for you. Choose whichever you like after firing them.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I have been to a range a total of 4 times. Apparently I am a natural.
Last year about this time, I was going to become a PI, and I needed to take a firearms qualification test in order to carry on the job.
My second and 3rd times to the range was to practice for the qualification. My friend told me to put the target at the end of the range and keep it inside the target. I assume that the range had a 50 yrd depth, because 50 ft was a hellova lot closer. So after 2 trips and about 100rnds later, it was time to qualify.
My 4th time to the range and I am expecting to shoot the same distance I was practicing at. Nope. He said, "Ok, at the first 9 feet, I want you to shoot 25rnds. At 21ft, I was another 20rnds, and at 41, you can shoot your last 5 for a total of 50 rnds." I looked at him and said, "you basically want a hole in the center." He looked at me and said, "If you can..."

I got a 100%. I removed the X and the 9 section of the target completely. I was shooting a SIG P228. I love that gun, but a) they don't make it anymore and B) It's really hard to find one in good condition that doesn't cost an arm and leg, and c) it's a pretty heavy gun being all steel.

The P30 is the first gun I liked the feel of from the get go -since the sig. There is an instructor over at Pistoltraining.com named ToddG that originally was going to do 50k rnds in 6 months as a stress test to the gun. He hit it early (by just a couple weeks) and after talking with H&K, they asked that he extend it to 75Krnds. H&K has been supplying the ammo since day one, but they wanted an honest review with no sunshine being blown up their butts. The test is now going to a full 100k rnds and will be completed rather soon. at 75k, there was 10 ejection failures, and 4 broken parts. The ejection failures were determined to be the carrier return spring being out of spec, and it was replaced at 23k rnds with no ejection failures since. I love SIG, but those stats are amazing for any gun- especially when you are putting 1k rnds through the gun every trip to the range, 2-4 times a week.
So I am wondering just which version I should get. This will be for personal and home defense, and I have always shot a 9mm before. I have shot my friends Glock23 .40, and I didn't really feel that much of a difference, so I looking to see if I should get the .40 because it's a little bigger and slightly more powerful, or get what I have used before, that has the most widely available and used round out there?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
well, yeah, but that makes a bigger mess to clean later. A pump shotgun is still about the scariest sound a criminal will ever hear, but I want to STOP an intruder, not scare them (or splatter them all over my wall).
I just need to decide on what caliber to get the P30 in.

Apple4me

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I just need to decide on what caliber to get the P30 in.
Do you have a range nearby that rents both the 9mm and .40 P30's? If so, rent them both and shoot 50-100 rounds in each and see which you like to shoot the best. As someone said in previous post, it's all about what you're most comfortable with. Either one probably holds 12-16 rounds, so you have plenty of chances to stop the bad guy :sneaky:

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Well, I think I'll end up getting the .40 cal, as I have a lot of people I know that are almost adamant about it. I can shoot both well in other handguns, so I was looking for opinions on personal preference others had and why.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
If I had an intruder in my house, the last thing I'd worry about is cleaning up afterward. :eek:k:eek:k
True, but that is why this is forethought. Besides, it's too much fun to pull the trigger multiple times before the fun is over, where if it's a 12 gauge, shoot it once, and the job is done (unless you miss, and with buckshot, that is hard to do.)

Apple4me

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Shotguns for self defense inside a house scare me. There are three other people living in my house along with two dogs and I'd hate to hit one of them with buckshot that didn't hit the bad guy. I'd much rather take my chances with 14 9mm rounds ( or 8 .45 rounds) aimed directly at the guy.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
All kidding aside, I seriously hope I would never be put in the situation of having to point any deadly weapon and have to pull the trigger for either the sake of myself or my friends and family. If I had to, there would be zero hesitation, because if I am drawing my weapon, I plan on using it within the next few seconds.

I'm all for smart gun control (without removing the right to bear arms) but here is a thought a comedian once came up with, I believe it was Chris Rock: make the cost of the guns much cheaper, and make the cost of ammunition much more expensive. Imagine, 5-10 a single ROUND!
How about $50? You know that if someone is willing to waste $250 on your butt, you definitely pissed them off.

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
You will not go wrong with the 40 for stopping power. My personal carry is a Colt Combat Commander 45 cal with speed safety. If you ever get the chance and have the money take a course at Gunsight Academy, http://www.gunsite.com/. They had an off sight course in Houston Texas and I had the opportunity to attend it. It was great.

one_crazy_dude

Contributor
Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Toms River New Jersey
my choice is glock 19 . small easy to carry double stack rounds in the mag. my other is the sti vip, its my wifes but again small easy to conceal holds enough rounds to protect my family. the rest of my collection is just pure passion :)