Has anybody tried TetherMe?

kelseymarie

Bronze
Jun 17, 2010
Sorry if this has been posted, I searched and came up with nothing.
I'm just wondering if anyone has tried the new TetherMe app available for $1.99 in Cydia. It's supposed to be just like MyWi with a much smaller price tag.
Just curious if it works as advertised!
Thanks.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Sorry if this has been posted, I searched and came up with nothing.
I'm just wondering if anyone has tried the new TetherMe app available for $1.99 in Cydia. It's supposed to be just like MyWi with a much smaller price tag.
Just curious if it works as advertised!
Thanks.
Is there a trial period with this app?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
No there isn't a trial period. I've downloaded and paid for this app without knowing too much about it.

I'll try it out tomorrow.

rojocrandall

Bronze
Mar 2, 2009
Per MuscleNerd via Twitter:
"For those wise enough to not spend ridiculous $20 on MyWi,
look into the $2 TetherMe app now, and yet another in next week"

kelseymarie

Bronze
Jun 17, 2010
Thanks for all of the replies, I'm looking forward to your review, iPhonewarrior!
For $2.00 I guess I could have just bought it and tested it out, but I just wanted to make sure. :)

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I've used it and so far it works great on Bluetooth. I haven't tried USB. It creates a PAN (Private Area Network). Well worth $2. I haven't done enough testing to do a battery consumption comparison between MyWi and Tetherme. I really like the fact that it runs natively using the iPhones tethering feature without having to run an app.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Well, I'm using Tetherme right now. It's really really simple. There isn't an icon for this app so all you do is hit Settings-General-Network-Internet Tethering-Toggle to On OR use the SBSettings toggle for ease.

From what I've seen so far it's exactly the same speed as what you would get through MyWi, it's fast. I've only tried USB so far, I will try Bluetooth later on when I get more of a chance to play with this.

A quick summary: I'm glad I only used the 'Trial Period' on MyWi.

Too Many Secrets

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
I downloaded Tetherme and can get it to work. However, it doesn't seem to want to start unless I open iTunes on the computer. It's a pc running vista and 3gs on 4.0. Also didn't start on an XP computer when I didn't open iTunes. Once tethering is started, iTunes can be shutdown and tethering continues. Is this the norm?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I found that when I turned tethering on via USB, my phone wouldn't sync, so I don't think it actually matters if iTunes is open.

When the phone is tethered, did you get a blue bar across the top of the phone? I cannot see how you have a problem, you simply turn tethering on and it just works...

Too Many Secrets

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
iPhonewarrior, i don't get the bluebar until I open iTunes. After opening iTunes it will active tethering and the bluebar, then I can close iTunes and continue to tether without issue. This is what I'm doing currently, on the third computer Ive tried. All 3 computers I had tethered previously in 3.1.x without this 'bug'. I've also tried different ports and cables. This problem is repeatable on all 3 computers. Also in xp when I plug in iPhone with tethering enabled (before running iTunes), it will show network cable unplugged, but the network connection pops up and it sees the iPhone.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I'm nowhere near a Windows machine unfortunately so I couldn't even try to understand the problem you are having.
-
The way I get it to work is to plug the phone via USB, let it sync as normal, then Settings-General-Network-Internet Tethering-On/Off. My phone then syncs (it didn't do this the first couple of times) and at the same time, the blue bar becomes visible and I'm tethered.

So basically I do two things, plug the phone in and turn tethering on. Try removing the package from Cydia and reinstalling it.

pnut78

Dec 16, 2008
I have a question. I bought TetherMe the first few days, but tried it for the first time now. Do I have to Sync or open iTunes everytime I want to tether?

SO far that seems to be the only way it works. I know it doesn't work if:
-I turned on tethering before connecting via USB
-Don't open iTunes and sync.

Should it be this way? Or should I be able to just connect and turn tethering on without opening iTunes and syncing?

stackman

Sep 5, 2010
I tired this Cydia app and it never gave me an option to tether under my general settings. Anyone know why this might be?